Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard's Draft Brilliance

w87r

14 hours ago, w87r said:

Uninspiring why? Because you wanted/ thought someone else was better? 

How anyone can be upset about a GM telling you what his plan is, then executing HIS plan, is beyond me? 

The guy put in the work to figure out who his guys were. He obviously had all his picks rated higher than, the guys some others wanted.

Like has been said, that happens every year. Just have to set back and let it play out. 

If we come out of this draft with 6 or 7 contributors, it will he a major success. I definitely see that as a possibility.

1. Nelson

2. Leonard

3. Smith

4. Turay/or Lewis(maybe both?)

5. Hines

6. Cain/ or Fountain

7. Adams or Franklin

The odds were increased by Ballard's draft strategy. Whether you like the players now or not. Time will tell, as it is now, odds are increased on our side.

Cain and fountain may make the team especially if rogers doesnt stay healthy

14 hours ago, w87r said:

Uninspiring why? Because you wanted/ thought someone else was better? 

How anyone can be upset about a GM telling you what his plan is, then executing HIS plan, is beyond me? 

The guy put in the work to figure out who his guys were. He obviously had all his picks rated higher than, the guys some others wanted.

Like has been said, that happens every year. Just have to set back and let it play out. 

If we come out of this draft with 6 or 7 contributors, it will he a major success. I definitely see that as a possibility.

1. Nelson

2. Leonard

3. Smith

4. Turay/or Lewis(maybe both?)

5. Hines

6. Cain/ or Fountain

7. Adams or Franklin

The odds were increased by Ballard's draft strategy. Whether you like the players now or not. Time will tell, as it is now, odds are increased on our side.

Cain and fountain may make the team especially if rogers doesnt stay healthy

3 hours ago, threeflight said:

This is exactly how I feel.  Third grade of a C or lower I have seen. 

From MSN.

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS | C

This might be the strangest class of them all. Quenton Nelson may be the best player in the whole draft, which made him a steal at No. 6 overall. After that, things got weird in a hurry. A small-school linebacker and another guard at the top of the second round, then a pair of trade-ups for edge defenders that went much earlier than expected. The highlights of Day 3 were explosive offensive weapons in Nyheim Hines and Deon Cain (what a steal in the sixth), but other than those two, it was projects galore. Daurice Fountain is intriguing, though. Overall, considering how many premium picks they had to work with, the Colts could have done so much more for a roster than needs so many impact players on both sides of the ball.

Ballard keeps going for depth.  Hello?  You just had how many top picks?  Why are you going for depth?  We need STARTERS.  With that many picks, to get a grade of anything but a B or higher is terrible.  He talks a big game, but in reality he is very VERY conservative.  Same goes with the FA signings.

You put too much stock in these draft grades man. These scouts get paid to find talent. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

3 hours ago, threeflight said:

This is exactly how I feel.  Third grade of a C or lower I have seen. 

From MSN.

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS | C

This might be the strangest class of them all. Quenton Nelson may be the best player in the whole draft, which made him a steal at No. 6 overall. After that, things got weird in a hurry. A small-school linebacker and another guard at the top of the second round, then a pair of trade-ups for edge defenders that went much earlier than expected. The highlights of Day 3 were explosive offensive weapons in Nyheim Hines and Deon Cain (what a steal in the sixth), but other than those two, it was projects galore. Daurice Fountain is intriguing, though. Overall, considering how many premium picks they had to work with, the Colts could have done so much more for a roster than needs so many impact players on both sides of the ball.

Ballard keeps going for depth.  Hello?  You just had how many top picks?  Why are you going for depth?  We need STARTERS.  With that many picks, to get a grade of anything but a B or higher is terrible.  He talks a big game, but in reality he is very VERY conservative.  Same goes with the FA signings.

We had starters on the Offensive line last year... They struggled and most importantly they didn't play. I would routinely pull up the game day rosters and have to look up several offensive lineman because they were plucked from practice squad and waivers half the season... and if you didn't notice, they sucked. 

THAT is why you need depth. That is why we needed new starting players on the offensive line. How can you possibly be disappointed in this? Did you watch the games last year? That was the biggest need. 

In regard to the defensive lineman. Many experts,aside from the ones everyone is quoting with bad grades, say he could be something special. Go look at his numbers compared to the top 3 rushers in the draft including Chubb. Half the amount of rushes, same numbers of pressure and hits. That is why they reached... because they felt that it wasn't a reach at all. It's a scheme change defensively, and one that requires DEPTH on the defensive line for rotational purposes. 

If he were conservative, he wouldn't be taking chances on guys like Basham and Turay. He's looking to develop them into studs. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, threeflight said:

Sports Illustrated gave the Colts an overall grade of a c-.  Lowest I saw of any team.

So I went and looked into the SI grade. All of our mid round picks were given C+ or above. Who dragged the score down? The Quenton Nelson pick was given a D. Does the writer think Q is a bad player, nope. It was just his opinion it should have been a defensive player, and then went on to say Q was the best lineman in maybe the last 20 years. 

10 hours ago, chad72 said:

Kelvin Hayden was a projected round 4-5 pick drafted by us in round 2. Pat Angerer was a projected round 4 or 5 LB drafted by us in round 2. Marlin Jackson was a projected mid to late second rounder drafted late round 1.

I am sure there are more examples with us

Keiaho was the biggest: projected 7th to undrafted, 3rd round.

Mike Mitchell was the biggest reach I remember from recent times.