Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If we consider trading back with Buffalo, who are the Top-12?

This won't be popular....

But I think Ballard would like another 4-for-1 draft just as he did with the Jets.

So....     in theory....     I think Ballard would be willing to accept Buffalo's first pick 12 and their first pick in the 3rd round, pick 65 at the top of the round.       And we'd say to the Bills that because we're letting them keep their other first round pick (22) and both of their 2's (I think they're in the 50's)   that what we ALSO WANT is their FIRST round pick next year AND their THIRD round pick in 2019 as well.

That would give us this year...   12, 36, 37, 49, 65 and 67....     in the first two days....

PLUS...

Next year.....   Buffalo's 1st (top-10?) Colts first,  Jet's 2nd (top 10 in 2nd round) the Colts second,  Buffalo's 3rd (top 10 in that round)  and the Colts third.      Two picks in each of the top three rounds.    Six in total in the first two days.

In a perfect world,  this is what I think Ballard would love to get....    now, whether that's true,  and whether Buffalo would be willing to do this is another story....      and we won't know until we're on the clock with pick 6.....

One last thought about this here....     I'm sure I'll share it in other threads as well....

I think Ballard's line about wanting to stay top-10 and there are 6-7 premium players is all posturing.    I think he's trying to let Buffalo know that moving up to 6 and asking the Colts to move down to 12 is going to be costly.    That's he's not moving down for some even-deal that's fairly balanced.    No, Buffalo is going to have to pay a premium price for a quarterback and pay a premium price to ask us to move out of the premium window of players.

That can get costly.....    Buffalo is going to have to man-up or gamble that the guy they want falls to them,  or another team doesn't trade up past 12 to beat them to their QB.      That's risky...

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think it's a waste to even ask for that.

Because I think one or both of the Giants at 2 or the Browns at 4 would take that offer,  allowing Buffalo to leap way over the Colts to most any QB they'd want.

We have to ask enough to make it worth while for the Colts ---- but not so much that that the offer is too expensive and Buffalo shops that to a higher team in the draft order.

It gets a little tricky....

I don't really see an issue... If Buffalo shops the offer and it gets accepted by NYG or the Browns, it guarantees that another QB comes off the board in the top 5 and Indy gets one of the "blue chip" prospects... 

Of course, some might argue that a trade down is better than drafting one or all of the three. I can't fault that logic, really.

I don't think Chubb is as good as Garrett was or that Barkley is as good as Gurley was or that choosing Nelson at #6 is that much better value than getting Wynn or Hernandez in the 2nd, but nobody is lining up to pay me to make those decisions. 

My best guess is that Ballard has run through all of the scenarios and has much more accurate grades on these prospects than any of the pundits. I'm going to try to remind myself of this after each day of the draft when my favorite prospects all go to different teams and we draft guys I've never heard of. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This won't be popular....

But I think Ballard would like another 4-for-1 draft just as he did with the Jets.

So....     in theory....     I think Ballard would be willing to accept Buffalo's first pick 12 and their first pick in the 3rd round, pick 65 at the top of the round.       And we'd say to the Bills that because we're letting them keep their other first round pick (22) and both of their 2's (I think they're in the 50's)   that what we ALSO WANT is their FIRST round pick next year AND their THIRD round pick in 2019 as well.

That would give us this year...   12, 36, 37, 49, 65 and 67....     in the first two days....

PLUS...

Next year.....   Buffalo's 1st (top-10?) Colts first,  Jet's 2nd (top 10 in 2nd round) the Colts second,  Buffalo's 3rd (top 10 in that round)  and the Colts third.      Two picks in each of the top three rounds.    Six in total in the first two days.

In a perfect world,  this is what I think Ballard would love to get....    now, whether that's true,  and whether Buffalo would be willing to do this is another story....      and we won't know until we're on the clock with pick 6.....

I don't hate that trade at all... I'm all for thinking about this thing in terms of two drafts as opposed to loading up on picks this season. 

My nitpick would be that I don't think Buffalo picks in the top 10 next season. I think that they have a decent roster and that even a rookie QB would give them as much as Taylor/Peterman (or whatever his name was) gave them last season. I would be more interested in Arizona's 2019 picks or Miami's if either were in play, although, admittedly, I could be way off when all is said and done...

I will say with some degree of certainty that the 2019 2nd rounder we got from the Jets will be in the top 10 (probably top 5) of that round.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think it's a waste to even ask for that.

Because I think one or both of the Giants at 2 or the Browns at 4 would take that offer,  allowing Buffalo to leap way over the Colts to most any QB they'd want.

We have to ask enough to make it worth while for the Colts ---- but not so much that that the offer is too expensive and Buffalo shops that to a higher team in the draft order.

It gets a little tricky....

I just think for the Colts to move down from 6 it will take a way over the top offer.   we shall see!!! cant wait!!

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

One last thought about this here....     I'm sure I'll share it in other threads as well....

I think Ballard's line about wanting to stay top-10 and there are 6-7 premium players is all posturing.    I think he's trying to let Buffalo know that moving up to 6 and asking the Colts to move down to 12 is going to be costly.    That's he's not moving down for some even-deal that's fairly balanced.    No, Buffalo is going to have to pay a premium price for a quarterback and pay a premium price to ask us to move out of the premium window of players.

That can get costly.....    Buffalo is going to have to man-up or gamble that the guy they want falls to them,  or another team doesn't trade up past 12 to beat them to their QB.      That's risky...

i dont think allen or mayfield are even worth a bunch of picks

they could stay where they are and see who the best remaining QB is.  not the end of the world if they miss out on those guys 

NFL Rumors - April 2 Updates:
Comment on these NFL Rumors

BUF.gif An NFL general manager said that the Bills are "trying like hell" to move up for a quarterback. - Jason La Canfora, CBS
Buffalo has the Nos. 12 and 22 picks to trade up into the top five. In fact, it's possible that the Bills could move up to the second-overall selection, which is what I have happening in my 2018 NFL Mock Draft. Alternatively, Buffalo could move up to No. 5 or 6, and then do another trade up again to No. 2. Either way, it'll be an upset if the Bills don't land one of Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen or Baker Mayfield. -Walter

NYG.gif An NFC general manager said that Giants general manager Dave Gettleman wants to hold an auction for the No. 2 pick and sell it to the highest bidder. - Jason La Canfora, CBS
The Giants have been linked to Sam Darnold and may take him if they don't get a great deal, but it wouldn't be difficult to imagine them trading down if they get a nice offer. Furthermore, this general manager speculated that a trade could occur with the Broncos. Alternatively, I have a projected Giants-Bills NFL Draft Trade posted here. -Walter

http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors