Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade Up From 34?

With the switch to the 3-4 and in my scenario we no longer have Dwight Freeney, OLB becomes a big need and we should trade the 2012 2nd round pick and 2013 2nd round pick to Dallas for the 14th overall pick and select Courtney Upshaw. He is by far the best 3-4 OLB in the draft and said in an interview that he is a Colts fan. We would also trade Dwight Freeney to Buffalo for their 2nd and 3rd round picks, and Dallas Clark to the Giants for their 2nd round pick. Our needs are QB, OLB, SS, CB, ILB, WR, NT, DE, TE. Sign Zbikowski and Carl Nicks/Ben Grubbs. Cut Bullitt, Brackett, Addai and Manning(if not healthy)

RD1 PCK 1: Andrew Luck QB Stanford

RD1 PCK 14 (TRADE): Courtney Upshaw OLB Alabama

RD 2 PCK 41 (TRADE): Mohamed Sanu WR Rutgers

RD 2 PCK 64 (TRADE): Coby Fleener TE Stanford

RD3 PCK 65: Kendall Reyes DE/DT Connecticut

RD 3 PCK 72 (TRADE): Kevin Zeitler OG Wisconsin

RD 4 PCK 97: Casey Heyward CB Vanderbilt

RD 4 Composition: Nigel Bradham ILB Florida State

RD 5 PCK 128: Josh Chapman NT Alabama

RD 6 PCK 161: Terrance Ganaway FB/RB Baylor

RD 6 Composition: DeQuan Menzie CB Alabama

RD 7 PCK 191: Chris Rainey RB/PR/KR Florida

I don't think 2 2nd round picks would be able to get you up that high. You would have to throw in a future first rounder which I wouldn't be willing to do considering it will likely be a likely high pick next year. From the draft value calculators I've seen the Colts 2nd round and 4th round picks this year could get a trade up to about 27-28th overall which I think would be more likely.

would you take a 32 year old TE that has been on IR last 2 years? For a 2nd round pick? I wouldnt, and doubt any of the other 31 teams would as well. Freeney could go for a 3rd. But even still thats pushin it. More like a 4th for freeney (maybe late 3rd) and a 5th or 6th for Clark.

On a positive note, i like the players chosen. But the means to get them...not so much.

I don't think 2 2nd round picks would be able to get you up that high. You would have to throw in a future first rounder which I wouldn't be willing to do considering it will likely be a likely high pick next year. From the draft value calculators I've seen the Colts 2nd round and 4th round picks this year could get a trade up to about 27-28th overall which I think would be more likely.

Well according to the draft calculator 2 2nd round picks is basically equall to the 14th pick, so I think its possible. If we can get 17-19 we still might be able to get Upshaw though. And as for New York giving a 2nd rounder for Clark, both of New York's TEs tore their ACLs in the Super Bowl and they'll be desperate to bring in a veteran TE in who I think still has some good years left in him.

With the switch to the 3-4 and in my scenario we no longer have Dwight Freeney, OLB becomes a big need and we should trade the 2012 2nd round pick and 2013 2nd round pick to Dallas for the 14th overall pick and select Courtney Upshaw. He is by far the best 3-4 OLB in the draft and said in an interview that he is a Colts fan. We would also trade Dwight Freeney to Buffalo for their 2nd and 3rd round picks, and Dallas Clark to the Giants for their 2nd round pick. Our needs are QB, OLB, SS, CB, ILB, WR, NT, DE, TE. Sign Zbikowski and Carl Nicks/Ben Grubbs. Cut Bullitt, Brackett, Addai and Manning(if not healthy)

RD1 PCK 1: Andrew Luck QB Stanford

RD1 PCK 14 (TRADE): Courtney Upshaw OLB Alabama

RD 2 PCK 41 (TRADE): Mohamed Sanu WR Rutgers

RD 2 PCK 64 (TRADE): Coby Fleener TE Stanford

RD3 PCK 65: Kendall Reyes DE/DT Connecticut

RD 3 PCK 72 (TRADE): Kevin Zeitler OG Wisconsin

RD 4 PCK 97: Casey Heyward CB Vanderbilt

RD 4 Composition: Nigel Bradham ILB Florida State

RD 5 PCK 128: Josh Chapman NT Alabama

RD 6 PCK 161: Terrance Ganaway FB/RB Baylor

RD 6 Composition: DeQuan Menzie CB Alabama

RD 7 PCK 191: Chris Rainey RB/PR/KR Florida

IMO, if we moved up to 14th pick, I would look for Kirkpatrick for our CB.

Freeney isnt going anywhere...and we could never get a 2nd round pick for Dallas Clark...the scenario of trading Freeney and Clark is about as likely as the scenario of trading Jacob Lacey for someone's first round pick...no matter how nice it may look in your fantasy mock drafts, its just not happening.

May be better for colts to maintain current status of draft picks. After Luck is taken the biggest need is a DT and this is a deep draft for DTs. Also Freeney may be overpaid as a situational pass rusher but it would be interesting to see if Pagano designs a defense where it would be difficult to double team him. Imangine Freeney rushing in with only a TE to stop him. Grigson's defense will try to create mismatches to enhance players abilities. QB, DT, CB, C, G, and TE are biggest needs now. Maybe the Colts can get 2 of these from free agents and draft the others. Having the top pick is like getting the first pick as a bonus pick. Each later pick is so low it like taking the last pick of the previous round. Pick 34 would be like a late first round pick, and pick 65 would be like a late 2nd round pick. Grigson has stated his intention to pick a starter in each round. If Grigson does what he intends then this will be the best draft since the Colts moved to Indy.

I could see us moving up if the price is right. I think if we do it will be for a defensive player or an absolute steal for an offensive player. Miami and Buffalo need DE and SS this year. We could pair Bullitt or Freeney (i dont think freeney is leaving) with picks to move up. New York really needs a veteran TE. Could pair Clarke with picks to move up but this is less likely becuase they are right in front of us. I think targets could be Upshaw and Jenkins. Both could play huge roles. DT Brockers too. I think moving up to mid round or later round is possible.