Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Qb Is Not A Need, Pass On Luck

manning2dallas

QB is not a need for us...we have literally the greatest QB of ALL TIME on our roster. We should be looking to win now, not a guy who might start for us 5-6 years down the road. Personally, I think we should stay in the no.1 slot to choose Claiborne. Perhaps the greatest CB prospect of all time, a true beast. Our secondary is atrocious so it'd fill a need to. Trading down would be nice but we can't risk it since STL would gladly take him at 2.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you mad? Smart move would be to take Trent Richardson at 1. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to finally give Peyton a legit number 1 running back? I can see it now...excuse me as I reminisce about the glory days of Manning and Edgerrin James. Give Peyton a running back and watch him take us back to the glory land. Besides why give up on a sure fire hall of famer for some kid with a weak arm. Luck is nothing more then a media creation!!! Don't Buy into the hype.

You could also argue that Luck is the greatest QB prospect of all time. This is a big deal considering we don't know what's going on with Manning yet. If Manning was 100% in every aspect and renegotiated his contract, sure that would be nice but I just don't see that happening. Only time will tell with the situation.

If Manning was 100% and renegotiated, we traded Luck had a great draft and also delved into free agency the team COULD be very solid.

At the same time if they draft Luck and he turned out being the next best thing like all the hype or even better, they got rid of Manning, delved into FA the team might be back on its feet quicker than most expect.

I try to look at the best of both worlds.

QB is not a need for us...we have literally the greatest QB of ALL TIME on our roster. We should be looking to win now, not a guy who might start for us 5-6 years down the road. Personally, I think we should stay in the no.1 slot to choose Claiborne. Perhaps the greatest CB prospect of all time, a true beast. Our secondary is atrocious so it'd fill a need to. Trading down would be nice but we can't risk it since STL would gladly take him at 2.

I'm going to give an opinion I believe others will agree with as well. If the colts stuck with the #1 pick just to get Claiborne, the colts organization would be looked at as making the dumbest decision in the past decade if not longer than that. Now please tell me what sense it takes to get Claiborne with the #1 pick when you can get him at #2 or even all the way down to #6. It's extremely foolish (I'm being extremely kind by saying foolish) not to trade down to get Claiborne if we truly wanted him. Also to say STL would gladly take him at #2 is a reach considering they need a LT and also have a good chance of trading down if someone wants RGIII if we get Luck. Another thing, to say QB isn't a need is flat out silly. Manning will retire one day this is a fact. When? None of us know, but he's not going to be playing in 2020 that's for sure. Luck is a prospect in which you either take or you get the best freaking trade ever in the NFL when trading down.

TLDR: Dumbest freakin idea ever and ludicrous to say that QB isn't a need.

Are you mad? Smart move would be to take Trent Richardson at 1. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to finally give Peyton a legit number 1 running back? I can see it now...excuse me as I reminisce about the glory days of Manning and Edgerrin James. Give Peyton a running back and watch him take us back to the glory land. Besides why give up on a sure fire hall of famer for some kid with a weak arm. Luck is nothing more then a media creation!!! Don't Buy into the hype.

Ah yes the Manning and Edge days where they didn't even make the super bowl, partially because the defense sucked hideously??? Perhaps it'd be the same if we drafted Richardson. I could not imagine him having near the success Edge had his first year with 2,000+ yards of total offense anyways. That is a tough accomplishment to achieve. It would be better to probably go for Rice, Forte, Lynch or Benson lol.

I have to agree with the op, if we do keep Manning and trade Luck, drafting defensive players would be critical.

Am I mad? Nope. Trent Richardson is a stud but Claireborne owned him when 'Bama and LSU faced off. I'll take him. If they want someone else I say Kendall Wright would stretch defenses vertically. His stock is SOARING.

I'm going to give an opinion I believe others will agree with as well. If the colts stuck with the #1 pick just to get Claiborne, the colts organization would be looked at as making the dumbest decision in the past decade if not longer than that. Now please tell me what sense it takes to get Claiborne with the #1 pick when you can get him at #2 or even all the way down to #6. It's extremely foolish (I'm being extremely kind by saying foolish) not to trade down to get Claiborne if we truly wanted him. Also to say STL would gladly take him at #2 is a reach considering they need a LT and also have a good chance of trading down if someone wants RGIII if we get Luck. Another thing, to say QB isn't a need is flat out silly. Manning will retire one day this is a fact. When? None of us know, but he's not going to be playing in 2020 that's for sure. Luck is a prospect in which you either take or you get the best freaking trade ever in the NFL when trading down.

TLDR: Dumbest freakin idea ever and ludicrous to say that QB isn't a need.

Get him at 6??? No way! Now THAT is ludicrous. He is considered by many to be the best player in this year's draft and the best CB prospect of ALL TIME. Yes, that good. STL wouldn't choose a WR over him. WRs are to be had later in the draft, whereas CB is a premium position. If STL doesn't take him, Redskins have a pressing need at CB (Hall sucks) and could trade up to get him.

Doesn't matter. Irsay has already basically said he is taking Luck.A

And judging based on last season.....yes QB is a HUGE need.

We will have Peyton this year. And besides, Painter and Orlovsky proved that they were solid back-ups. It was the defense that did us in.

I like blackhawk 4. Manning will one day retire this is a fact. Really? Are you sure we do not have a fountain of youth lying around? Tell me Confucius or as he goes by these days, blackhawk 4, what other gems do you want to grace this message board with tonight. Also please do include bold words to highlight how you really feel. Also feel free to use underline and italics as well as these are great tools to help send your wise message to us all.

It just keeps getting worse.

Who is 36 coming off major neck surgery for maybe the fourth time and looking at fifth one. On top of that the nerve in his arm is not back and no one knows when, if or how much it will come back. We also saw we have nothing behind him at the QB spot. So I would disagree that QB is not a need.

By the way I giving you the adbridged version here because thare are I don't know how many topics that have to do with Peyton Manning's health, Andrew Luck, and what the Colts should do in the draft on this forum where you can find the much longer version of this.

Get him at 6??? No way! Now THAT is ludicrous. He is considered by many to be the best player in this year's draft and the best CB prospect of ALL TIME. Yes, that good. STL wouldn't choose a WR over him. WRs are to be had later in the draft, whereas CB is a premium position. If STL doesn't take him, Redskins have a pressing need at CB (Hall sucks) and could trade up to get him.

We will have Peyton this year. And besides, Painter and Orlovsky proved that they were solid back-ups. It was the defense that did us in.

This thread is the gift that just never stops giving........

Funny anyone else notice we had our Super Bowl trips after the glory days of Manning and Edge?

Also did anyone watch last season when the ground game did well when teams didn't have to respect our passing game at all? I think the ground game has improved and I think adding a QB rather it be Manning or Luck that other teams have to respect will only help to make it better.

The smart move is to take the guy the people are saying is the best player in this draft and maybe the best draft pick to come along since Elway and that is Andrew Luck. I know people are trying to out think the room on this but sometimes the choice that everyone is going with is the right one for a reason. I feel this is one of those times.

Who is 36 coming off major neck surgery for maybe the fourth time and looking at fifth one. On top of that the nerve in his arm is not back and no one knows when, if or how much it will come back. We also saw we have nothing behind him at the QB spot. So I would disagree that QB is not a need.

By the way I giving you the adbridged version here because thare are I don't know how many topics that have to do with Peyton Manning's health, Andrew Luck, and what the Colts should do in the draft on this forum where you can find the much longer version of this.

Come on now. Get that rookie CB and rookie RB in there and Peyton is gonna take them all the way home in New Orleans.;)

Really? Orlovsky maybe but there is a reason why we benched Painter and went to Orlovsky.

The defense did us in because they were exhausted because the offense couldn't put a drive together to save their lives. It was three and out and right back on the field, even the mightly Ravens wear out if their offense does that. The games where the offense could put together drives and the defense didn't have to spend three quarters of the game on the field we won. Don't get me wrong the defense needs work but all-and-all when you factor in how the defense was built they didn't do a horriable job last season.

I said at the start of last season when Manning went down and people called on the defense to step up that just because we lost the all world QB didn't just make us a defensive team and people expecting the defense to carry us when it wasn't built to do that were going to be sorely mistaken.

Really? Orlovsky maybe but there is a reason why we benched Painter and went to Orlovsky.

The defense did us in because they were exhausted because the offense couldn't put a drive together to save their lives. It was three and out and right back on the field, even the mightly Ravens wear out if their offense does that. The games where the offense could put together drives and the defense didn't have to spend three quarters of the game on the field we won. Don't get me wrong the defense needs work but all-and-all when you factor in how the defense was built they didn't do a horriable job last season.

I said at the start of last season when Manning went down and people called on the defense to step up that just because we lost the all world QB didn't just make us a defensive team and people expecting the defense to carry us when it wasn't built to do that were going to be sorely mistaken.

Which is exactly why Claiborne is the right pick.

No it's not rediculous when you think about it. Colts get Luck at 1. Someone tries to trade up for RGIII or Rams take Kalil. If Rams trade down then MINN takes Kalil and the Browns at #4 are not really weak at corner, the buccs at #5 might want to because Ronde Barber is old (Though he still performed well despite age) and boom down to the Redskins at #6 where they have options of trading down or taking whoever they think is best for that pick. He could go as high as #3 but no higher than that.

Irsay is an edit for showing his hand this early on. If i get a full house on the flop I dont tell everyone around the table that I have a full house.

I don't think drafting Luck with the first pick in the draft would exactly be astounding.

No he's not. The right pick is the best player in the draft and the guy that just about everyone is calling the best draft prospect to come along since Elway and could be a once in a generation guy. Could Luck be a bust? Sure he could, but so could anyone else in the draft and you don't pass on that kind of talent.

This isn't the only first round draft pick the Colts are ever going to have again. There are going to be chances to get corners again. Maybe they wont be Claiborne but they will still be good none the less. That's like saying we should have taken Charles Woodson over Peyton Manning in the 1998 draft. We needed help on defense then too but we had the chance to take a guy that people were saying was going to be a special player in Manning and we did it. It doesn't mean Woodson hasn't been a heck of a player. He has been but I've seen a lot more cornerbacks come along since then that are closer to Woodson's level than I have QB come along that are close to Manning's.

Irsay is an * for showing his hand this early on. If i get a full house on the flop I dont tell everyone around the table that I have a full house.

How's he an * if he's not going to trade the pick? The picks are slotted now so it's not like Luck can use it against us for contract talks. It would be dumb if Irsay was running around going I want to trade the pick. It's also not like someone can jump ahead of us and steal the player we want either. There isn't really a down side for Irsay saying who he wants with the top pick.

If anything saying you are going to take Luck will drive the value up because teams know you are planning on trading it so they are going to have to offer you even more for it. With that said I really don't think that even matters because I don't think irsay is going to trade the pick no matter what smoeone offers him. I think he wants Luck and unless Luck makes him trade it I don't think he's going to do it.

No he's not. The right pick is the best player in the draft and the guy that just about everyone is calling the best draft prospect to come along since Elway and could be a once in a generation guy. Could Luck be a bust? Sure he could, but you don't pass on that kind of talent.

This isn't the only first round draft pick the Colts are ever going to have again. There are going to be chances to get corners again. Maybe they wont be Claiborne but they will still be good none the less. That's like saying we should have taken Charles Woodson over Peyton Manning in the 1998 draft. We needed help on defense then too but we had the chance to take a guy that people were saying was going to be a special player in Manning and we did it. It doesn't mean Woodson hasn't been a heck of a player. He has been but I've seen a lot more cornerbacks come along since then that are closer to Woodson's level than I have QB come along that are close to Manning's.

Bingo. We got one.

Blackhawk 4's post must not have had anything important in it because he did not bold anything this time around.

Keep practicing on your trolling. If you work hard enough, you might become good at it and be funny!

Wrong. Not when Luck is considered one of the best if not the best QB prospect of all time. One of the best if not the best QB prospects of all time > One of the best CB prospects of all time (Deion will always be a better prospect)

No he's not. The right pick is the best player in the draft and the guy that just about everyone is calling the best draft prospect to come along since Elway and could be a once in a generation guy. Could Luck be a bust? Sure he could, but you don't pass on that kind of talent.

Definitely some good points but I'm just saying if we had a legit CB last year we win 5-6 more games. And with Peyton, another heap. So I say next season Peyton + Claiborne = more wins than Luck (by a lot)

Definitely some good points but I'm just saying if we had a legit CB last year we win 5-6 more games. And with Peyton, another heap. So I say next season Peyton + Claiborne = more wins than Luck (by a lot)

and if Peyton isn't healthy and has no right arm and we have no QB?

Your banking all this on Peyton being healthy and us keeping him. Right now neither of which is a sure thing.

Who helps you win more Claiborne with no Peyton or Luck with no Peyton? I go with Luck.

Not a conspiracy theorist but don't you think it is a little odd how ESPN seems to be the ones who make the moves happen or force them to happen on how they report. Why is Luck so good? Is it because he went to Stanford and is considered smart? Look, his arm is not dominant and i think we all know how the media creations end up when it comes time to play. Marijuanavich anyone? Leaf? Carr? Russel?

Your banking all this on Peyton being healthy and us keeping him. Right now neither of which is a sure thing.

Who helps you win more Claiborne with no Peyton or Luck with no Peyton? I go with Luck.

We take risks everyday. When we go outside, we bank on not coming into contact with a virulent disease, being attacked by a swarm of bees, etc. Everything we do is technically "banking" it. At this point, Peyton is ahead of schedule.

But, imagine the dynasty Woodson could have led the Colts to? What an opportunity we missed out on and have a chance to get revenge for!!!

Not a conspiracy theorist but don't you think it is a little odd how ESPN seems to be the ones who make the moves happen or force them to happen on how they report. Why is Luck so good? Is it because he went to Stanford and is considered smart? Look, his arm is not dominant and i think we all know how the media creations end up when it comes time to play. Marijuanavich anyone? Leaf? Carr? Russel?

The first post in this thread I feel like I actually REALLY agree with.

Is Peyton's arm gonna be any better?

Why is it all ESPN and media hype? I watched A LOT of Stanford games. You don't think I can't make up my own mind and I think the kid is pretty good or might be?

We take risks everyday. When we go outside, we bank on not coming into contact with a virulent disease, being attacked by a swarm of bees, etc. Everything we do is technically "banking" it. At this point, Peyton is ahead of schedule.

This is getting ridiculous.