Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cap Savings And Options

The Colts found their defensive minded head coach, Chuck Pagano.

Cap savings and options for the Colts going into next season, while keeping a healthy Manning in Indy and still selecting Luck. There are options out there, to rebuild and compete for a SB, while keeping Manning in Indy. First and foremost Manning has to be healthy. I think he will reach 100% before the season starts. Then there is the question of what to do with all the free agents the Colts have, how to pay for all the rookies, including extra ones from a trade down.

Here is my plan:

•Trade the second and third round picks, for Philly’s two second round picks, as they move up for Barron at 34.

•Make the selections or get players in positions of need for the Colts. Ideally think defensively the Colts need the pieces for the 3-4 transition. This means 2DE’s (One has to be a hybrid player capable of playing 4-3 DT), 1 NT, ILB, CB, SS. The Colts have an abundance of OLB on the roster. Then later in the draft acquire a Guard or two, a Center, maybe another Receiver of later value.

• I am using part of what our good friend BlueShoe posted in another thread. He calculated the Colts at $98.5 Million with Manning still on the team and Freeney extended. I propose the Colts cut Manning, and resigning him to an even more cap friendly deal. Then we will make some cuts and use the contract exemption on Brackett and Bullitt, and outright cut Painter, Snow, Mookie, Moala, Diles, and more.. re-work Addai and Clarks’ contracts, which in totality will reduce the cap number to roughly $85 Million.

Then we have our own free agents, draftees, and possible free agents to pursue.

Our Free Agents and what I am doing with them:

Pierre Garcon (Resign Max of $3 million a season)

Robert Mathis (Resign Max of $8 million a season)

Jeff Saturday (Resign Max of $3 million a season)

Reggie Wayne (Resign Max of $7 million a season)

Wheeler, Jamal Anderson, Tamme, Gonzo, and Pollak (Veteran Minimum)

With the resigning’s the Colts are around $105 Million, leaving $20 million or so to get the players of need in draft and free agency. Rookies will count about $10 million against the cap, leaving $10 for the signing of multiple players available. All of these will be bargain players, one should be a NT, either Aubrayo Franklin or Brandon McKinney, a 3-4 DE in Red Bryant, and G Ben Grubbs, would make this a really complete team.

Draft- Trade our second and third for Philly’s two second round picks, who want Barron.

1. Andrew Luck QB

2. Vontaze Burfict ILB

2. Leonard Johnson CB

4. Kheeston Randal DE/DT Hyrbrid Player

4. (Compensatory) LaMichael James RB* or Joe Adams WR*

5. Josh Chapman or Akiem Hicks NT

6. Matt Daniels SS

7. Ryan Miller or Antoine McClain RG

3-4 Formation 4-3 Formation

DE Red Bryant, Anderson DE: Mathis, Hickman

NT Aubrayo Franklin, Akiem Hicks/ Josh Chapman DT: Nevis, Red Bryant

DE (Hybrid) Kheeston Randal, Nevis DT: Randal, Anderson

Hybrid LB/DE Mathis, Hickman/Wheeler DE: Freeney, Hughes

ILB Vontaze Burfict, Conner OLB: Conner, Harvey

ILB Pat Angerer, Harvey ILB: Angerer, Burfict

OLB/DE: Freeney, Hughes OLB: Burfict, Wheeler

Peyton Manning, Andew Luck

Wayne, Garcon, Collie, Gonzo, Adams* TE: Clarke, Tamme

Addai, Brown, Carter, James* FB: ?

LT: Castonzo, LG: Ben Grubs, C: Saturday, RG: Ryan Miller, RT: Ijalana

The Colts found their defensive minded head coach, Chuck Pagano.

Cap savings and options for the Colts going into next season, while keeping a healthy Manning in Indy and still selecting Luck. There are options out there, to rebuild and compete for a SB, while keeping Manning in Indy. First and foremost Manning has to be healthy. I think he will reach 100% before the season starts. Then there is the question of what to do with all the free agents the Colts have, how to pay for all the rookies, including extra ones from a trade down.

Here is my plan:

•Trade the second and third round picks, for Philly’s two second round picks, as they move up for Barron at 34.

•Make the selections or get players in positions of need for the Colts. Ideally think defensively the Colts need the pieces for the 3-4 transition. This means 2DE’s (One has to be a hybrid player capable of playing 4-3 DT), 1 NT, ILB, CB, SS. The Colts have an abundance of OLB on the roster. Then later in the draft acquire a Guard or two, a Center, maybe another Receiver of later value.

• I am using part of what our good friend BlueShoe posted in another thread. He calculated the Colts at $98.5 Million with Manning still on the team and Freeney extended. I propose the Colts cut Manning, and resigning him to an even more cap friendly deal. Then we will make some cuts and use the contract exemption on Brackett and Bullitt, and outright cut Painter, Snow, Mookie, Moala, Diles, and more.. re-work Addai and Clarks’ contracts, which in totality will reduce the cap number to roughly $85 Million.

Then we have our own free agents, draftees, and possible free agents to pursue.

Our Free Agents and what I am doing with them:

Pierre Garcon (Resign Max of $3 million a season)

Robert Mathis (Resign Max of $8 million a season)

Jeff Saturday (Resign Max of $3 million a season)

Reggie Wayne (Resign Max of $7 million a season)

Wheeler, Jamal Anderson, Tamme, Gonzo, and Pollak (Veteran Minimum)

With the resigning’s the Colts are around $105 Million, leaving $20 million or so to get the players of need in draft and free agency. Rookies will count about $10 million against the cap, leaving $10 for the signing of multiple players available. All of these will be bargain players, one should be a NT, either Aubrayo Franklin or Brandon McKinney, a 3-4 DE in Red Bryant, and G Ben Grubbs, would make this a really complete team.

Draft- Trade our second and third for Philly’s two second round picks, who want Barron.

1. Andrew Luck QB

2. Vontaze Burfict ILB

2. Leonard Johnson CB

4. Kheeston Randal DE/DT Hyrbrid Player

4. (Compensatory) LaMichael James RB* or Joe Adams WR*

5. Josh Chapman or Akiem Hicks NT

6. Matt Daniels SS

7. Ryan Miller or Antoine McClain RG

3-4 Formation 4-3 Formation

DE Red Bryant, Anderson DE: Mathis, Hickman

NT Aubrayo Franklin, Akiem Hicks/ Josh Chapman DT: Nevis, Red Bryant

DE (Hybrid) Kheeston Randal, Nevis DT: Randal, Anderson

Hybrid LB/DE Mathis, Hickman/Wheeler DE: Freeney, Hughes

ILB Vontaze Burfict, Conner OLB: Conner, Harvey

ILB Pat Angerer, Harvey ILB: Angerer, Burfict

OLB/DE: Freeney, Hughes OLB: Burfict, Wheeler

Peyton Manning, Andew Luck

Wayne, Garcon, Collie, Gonzo, Adams* TE: Clarke, Tamme

Addai, Brown, Carter, James* FB: ?

LT: Castonzo, LG: Ben Grubs, C: Saturday, RG: Ryan Miller, RT: Ijalana

Even if we do release/restructure Peyton's contract, it will still carry over $10.4million in dead cap hit...so there is no "cap friendly" deal for the 2012 season, even though it would help the seasons past that one.

Also, we NEED a SS...so if we cut Bullitt like you suggest, and Barron is there at 34, we HAVE to take him unless we plan to sign one in free agency.

I expect that we would pay slightly HIGHER per year for Garcon because of his age and improvement last year, even with mediocre QB talent at best....i also expect that we would play LOWER (if at all ) to Wayne

However, i AM proud of you for finally spelling Clark's name right! :P

I would also like to pick up at least one OG...Grubbs would be a good one and much cheaper than Nicks

Even if we do release/restructure Peyton's contract, it will still carry over $10.4million in dead cap hit...so there is no "cap friendly" deal for the 2012 season, even though it would help the seasons past that one.

Also, we NEED a SS...so if we cut Bullitt like you suggest, and Barron is there at 34, we HAVE to take him unless we plan to sign one in free agency.

I expect that we would pay slightly HIGHER per year for Garcon because of his age and improvement last year, even with mediocre QB talent at best....i also expect that we would play LOWER (if at all ) to Wayne

However, i AM proud of you for finally spelling Clark's name right! :P

I would also like to pick up at least one OG...Grubbs would be a good one and much cheaper than Nicks

I suggested Grubs in FA, Red Bryant and Aubrayo Franklin too. Matt Daniels is a beast, he was ACC defensive player of the year if I'm not mistaken.