Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Track Guy's Final 2017 Mock Draft (With 1 Trade)

• Colts trade pick 15 to Seahawks for picks 26, 58 (I figure Seahawks may want to move up to acquire a left tackle)

Draft:

26 - T.J. Watt, LB/Edge, Wisconsin - Watt is a great athlete who could probably excel in either an edge rushing role or as an inside linebacker. He has upper-echelon athleticism, has been productive as a pass rusher, and has demonstrated coverage ability. He’s had some past injuries but he’s had a great 2016 season. Obviously his blood lines are promising as well, but that’s aside from the point. Watt could be a play making linebacker for a long time if he can stay healthy. 

46 - Dion Dawkins, OL, Temple - Dawkins is a college LT who best suited to guard at the next level, although he could probably hang in there at RT if he had to. I like him as a guard - his power and ability to create movement in the running game would be a big asset. He is a very strong run blocker, he bursts into opponents and it's impressive. He has good athleticism for a guard, and could hang in there with any of the zone blocking concepts. His taking over at RG would allow us to have a good 6th O-lineman, in that Joe Haeg could be that guy. Remember, you need at least 6 or 7 effective O-lineman in the NFL because injuries here and there are inevitable. 

58 - Budda Baker, S, Washington - We go with a position here that isn’t necessarily a top need, but this is a very good player who I expect to drop a little bit in a loaded class of defensive backs. Aside from his lack of size, he’s pretty much got all of what you look for in a free safety. It’s not meant to be an indictment on T.J. Green, but I’m not passing up a talented prospect just because we have him either. I'm thinking there may be a run on cornerbacks in early-mid round 2, so a good safety seems better than reaching on a corner if the good ones go. Baker is a good safety.

80 - D’Onta Foreman, RB, Texas - I wish it could be Alvin Kamara, but he’ll be gone So here’s a new weapon out of the backfield to throw in the mix, and he’s pretty good too. With Frank Gore being well into his 30s, we need some youth at RB. Foreman has prototypical size with good speed. He never really did much receiving in the Texas offense, although at his pro day reports say he looked awesome and caught everything thrown his way. He definitely needs work in pass protection, if he can become like Frank Gore as a pass protector that would be ideal. Coming off a very productive this year for Texas. 

121- Rasul Douglas, CB, West Virginia - He’s a big cornerback who has a knack for the interception. He’s been rated as a 3rd - 4th round prospect, but with a strong defensive back class I think the latter is more likely than the former. 

137 - Shaquill Griffin, CB, Central Florida - An absolute monster combine put this guy on the map. Even with good length and tremendous speed, this smaller program guy is not battle tested which is a concern. He did however have 4 interceptions this past season, 15 passes defensed, and 2.5 TFL. A nice project player for the horseshoe. 

144 - D.J. Jones, DL, Ole Miss - A 320-ish pound defensive lineman who is more than just a space-eater. He has burst to him, and we have a need for size in the middle of our defensive line. He isn’t yet a guy who you expect to walk in and start, but he could be a part of the rotation. 

158 - Keion Adams, LB/Edge, Western Michigan - Adams like Watt is a highly athletic guy who you could try as either an edge rusher or inside linebacker. He plays strong and had a productive senior year. He’s also already met with the Colts. 

26 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I also would not go for Watt that early.  Plus Budda is looking at going the same area you are saying for Watt with a late 1st early 2nd.  He will not be there at the end of the 2nd IMO.  I do like D.J. Jones though.

Too many DBs are projected in that area. Marcus Williams, Desmond King, Jabrill Peppers, Josh Jones, Obi Melifonwu at S and Tre'Davious White, Marlon Humphrey, Chidobe Awuzie, Adoree Jackson, Adoree Jackson, Fabian Moreau, Kevin King, Quincy Wilson at CB. That's just for DBs. Some are going to drop. 

6 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

Too many DBs are projected in that area. Marcus Williams, Desmond King, Jabrill Peppers, Josh Jones, Obi Melifonwu at S and Tre'Davious White, Marlon Humphrey, Chidobe Awuzie, Adoree Jackson, Adoree Jackson, Fabian Moreau, Kevin King, Quincy Wilson at CB. That's just for DBs. Some are going to drop. 

I agree but some players that start to ascend up the board getting closer to the draft would be guys I see staying up there and not dropping.  Baker has been moving up while other guys have fallen a little or never were looked at in the late first.  Fab might drop due to injury. Adoree has been looked at all over the 2nd round so not sure about him.  Tre White and Humphrey are 1st rounders IMO.  Jones,  Marcus Williams are 2nd rounders who would be somewhere closer to the 58th pick IMO.

5 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I agree but some players that start to ascend up the board getting closer to the draft would be guys I see staying up there and not dropping.  Baker has been moving up while other guys have fallen a little or never were looked at in the late first.  Fab might drop due to injury. Adoree has been looked at all over the 2nd round so not sure about him.  Tre White and Humphrey are 1st rounders IMO.  Jones,  Marcus Williams are 2nd rounders who would be somewhere closer to the 58th pick IMO.

Yeah depends on who you ask. I've seen Marcus Williams rated well higher than Budda Baker, or the reverse. People project any and all of these guys differently. In any event, I think there will be either a good CB or Safety in the late second. It would be nice if it happened to be Baker imo. 

7 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

Yeah depends on who you ask. I've seen Marcus Williams rated well higher than Budda Baker, or the reverse. People project any and all of these guys differently. In any event, I think there will be either a good CB or Safety in the late second. It would be nice if it happened to be Baker imo. 

I can definitely agree with you there.