Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Everyone freaking out: RELAX

As the title suggests, fans that are going crazy over the fact that Ballard hasn't done anything need to relax. The world isn't over because we didn't get Jeffrey or Zeitler or Bouye or Gilmore or any one of the extremely sought after but also way over-paid free agents. If you are one of the above fans, go to: http://www.nfl.com/freeagency#tab=rankings or any website's basic top 100 free agents. You will notice as you go down the list that there are MANY MANY decent, good football players that can help this defense.

Our defense right now is bottom shelf, and terrible. We need to remember that we just have to build it to average as a starting point to be competitive again. That doesn't have to happen with a few superstars who likely won't live up to their contracts. 

It is much easier to sign slightly overpriced deals to twice the number of free agents who are decent than to sign one or two crazy deals that might not work out and then we are at cap issues down the line. It is much easier to unload smaller overpriced contracts than huge ones that are blockbuster and messed up. List of players still available that would be interesting players to discuss as we move forward. 

Defensive lineman:

Brandon Williams

Poe (might not need to break the bank if he wants a 1 or 2 year prove it deal)

Hankins 

Bennie Logan 

Sheard

Linebackers:

Hightower (though probs will have a crazy contract)

Zach Brown

Kevin Minter

John Simon (really want us to get this guy, could be like a Walden level signing who actually does become a solid football player for us)

DeAndre Levy

Jarvis Jones

CBs (though this is a position where its better to go with the draft cause of the insane top level talent and depth):

Claiborne

Amukamara (though probs will get a really large contract)

Safeties:

TJ McDonald

Byrd (could give him another chance)

Lets discuss some of these guys, what do you guys think? I certainly don't approve of all of them but we can certainly shore up a few starting positions (especially at linebacker) while we work our draft magic for the next two years. All this without breaking the bank (we have like ~30 million remaining after taking into account draft signings and emergency fund).

The only thing that has surprised/disappointed me so far is not getting one of the better OL FAs at RG. But there are still a couple of decent options left.

I never really wanted to sign a CB, given the cost and the strength of this draft class. I also didn't expect them to sign Jeffery.

They can still get a good NT, a good ILB and a good S...which would be a very successful FA period for the defensive side. Put Williams/Poe/Hankins, Brown and Cyprien on this team next year...and you have a much improved defense.

4 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

The only thing that has surprised/disappointed me so far is not getting one of the better OL FAs at RG. But there are still a couple of decent options left.

I never really wanted to sign a CB, given the cost and the strength of this draft class. I also didn't expect them to sign Jeffery.

They can still get a good NT, a good ILB and a good S...which would be a very successful FA period for the defensive side. Put Williams/Poe/Hankins, Brown and Cyprien on this team next year...and you have a much improved defense.

I think Cyprien may have gotten picked up I might be wrong tho. Yes a NT and Zach Brown, the best value at LB in FA, and maybe still a guard. If not possibly Jabaal Sheard

10 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

That's best case scenario for me! I'd be happy with just the NT tbh. 

I'll take w.e we can get man! But with all the money we have why not take advantage. I'm not freaking out about not getting the big names, but let's not waste this big pile of money that's just ganna collect dust. Not like we have young guys on our roster that will command top dollar in FA in a year or two. But hey if that's all CB can get so be it, just hope we make 1 impactful signing

2 hours ago, Tmoney said:

I think Cyprien may have gotten picked up I might be wrong tho. Yes a NT and Zach Brown, the best value at LB in FA, and maybe still a guard. If not possibly Jabaal Sheard

Cyprien is supposed to sign with the Titans, but I don't think it's been officially announced yet.

3 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Agree x 100. I'm fine with not having made a big splash on the defense in day 1 - it's obvious we will get some solid defensive players. But I'm sorry, I just don't feel very confident about rolling out a right side of Heag and Clark. I would feel much better about starting one of the two and putting them next to a high performing vet. Use the other one as a 6th O-lineman. There already aren't many guys left who are high performing vets at RG, just T.J. Lang really. And if we went to the draft, you pretty much have to land a Zack Martin like player which will cost our first pick. Forrest Lamp might be the only guy who maybe fits that bill, but you'd be a bit more comfortable with the established vet. 

I'm very relaxed.  Yes, bringing in all these high-priced guys is exiting and generates a lot of buzz around the NFL circles, but it really isn't what's best for your team in the long run.  We've been down this road before with Grigs and I'm good with taking it slow and easy this time and using the draft to build the foundation for years to come.  At this point, I wouldn't mind signing ONE of the high-priced guys for the defense, sign a few more middle of the road type guys, then hitting the draft HARD.

9 hours ago, masnerj said:

As the title suggests, fans that are going crazy over the fact that Ballard hasn't done anything need to relax. The world isn't over because we didn't get Jeffrey or Zeitler or Bouye or Gilmore or any one of the extremely sought after but also way over-paid free agents. If you are one of the above fans, go to: http://www.nfl.com/freeagency#tab=rankings or any website's basic top 100 free agents. You will notice as you go down the list that there are MANY MANY decent, good football players that can help this defense.

Our defense right now is bottom shelf, and terrible. We need to remember that we just have to build it to average as a starting point to be competitive again. That doesn't have to happen with a few superstars who likely won't live up to their contracts. 

It is much easier to sign slightly overpriced deals to twice the number of free agents who are decent than to sign one or two crazy deals that might not work out and then we are at cap issues down the line. It is much easier to unload smaller overpriced contracts than huge ones that are blockbuster and messed up. List of players still available that would be interesting players to discuss as we move forward. 

Defensive lineman:

Brandon Williams

Poe (might not need to break the bank if he wants a 1 or 2 year prove it deal)

Hankins 

Bennie Logan 

Sheard

Linebackers:

Hightower (though probs will have a crazy contract)

Zach Brown

Kevin Minter

John Simon (really want us to get this guy, could be like a Walden level signing who actually does become a solid football player for us)

DeAndre Levy

Jarvis Jones

CBs (though this is a position where its better to go with the draft cause of the insane top level talent and depth):

Claiborne

Amukamara (though probs will get a really large contract)

Safeties:

TJ McDonald

Byrd (could give him another chance)

Lets discuss some of these guys, what do you guys think? I certainly don't approve of all of them but we can certainly shore up a few starting positions (especially at linebacker) while we work our draft magic for the next two years. All this without breaking the bank (we have like ~30 million remaining after taking into account draft signings and emergency fund).

NIce, go with the A. Rodgers, "Relax". I agree!

All of these 1st Day, WAY overprice signings are not the way to go for depleted roster looking to "Build Within" & raise our floor. I'm on board with CB's philosophy toward team-building. I coach College Rugby and I'm constantly Recruiting as I know it's the best way to build my Team; other tactics have been tried, yielding very unwanted results.

I feel that Cleveland went BIG on FA's and in trades but won't overtake their division any time soon because they draft "5 WRs" and play a numbers game that only works for baseball. I'd rather sit back and watch the early birds jump all over each other to outbid and take FA's that may or may not help their team win and all the while We ruminate over FA additions, discern a proper value to offer them (the price goes down the longer they are unsigned), and come April select future Colts that build Our Team within that We'll develop young to help Us win!