Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WPA from Advanced Stats for DTs

chad72

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/defenderstats.php?year=2010&*=DT&season=reg

I was shocked as well. Eric Foster has the highest Win Probability Added among Colts DTs when he is in the line up. Hmmm....??

Plus, look at Detroit, 2 DTs in the top 9. Now, they added Nick Fairley. Jim Schwartz knows to get the most out of his D-line, didn't Haynesworth have his best years under him in Tennessee?

Nice to see you Chad72. I posted this in another thread that mentioned the Advance Stats information.

The info is from the 2009 season. The 2010 only appears when you select the playoff option, but all it's showing is the 2009 season and the 2009 playoffs which were played in 2010.

Interesting numbers, none the less, but not reflective of last season.

Nice to see you Chad72. I posted this in another thread that mentioned the Advance Stats information.

The info is from the 2009 season. The 2010 only appears when you select the playoff option, but all it's showing is the 2009 season and the 2009 playoffs which were played in 2010.

Interesting numbers, none the less, but not reflective of last season.

It is good to be back, after this lockout thing being settled :-).

No, Ndamukong Suh was drafted in 2010, not 2009. So, this URL above does provide 2010 stats. I verified Suh's stats though this one lists only 15 games:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statisticPositionCategory=DEFENSIVE_LINEMAN&season=2010&seasonType=REG&experience=null&tabSeq=1&qualified=true&Submit=Go

His 17 assisted tackle number matches up with the NFL site, so these are 2010 stats, not sure why only 15 games worth of Suh's stats are included here.

Eric Foster's numbers match up - 25 solo tackles plus 8 assisted tackles for a total of 33, same on the nfl.com site too

It is good to be back, after this lockout thing being settled :-).

No, Ndamukong Suh was drafted in 2010, not 2009. So, this URL above does provide 2010 stats. I verified Suh's stats though this one lists only 15 games:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statisticPositionCategory=DEFENSIVE_LINEMAN&season=2010&seasonType=REG&experience=null&tabSeq=1&qualified=true&Submit=Go

His 17 assisted tackle number matches up with the NFL site, so these are 2010 stats, not sure why only 15 games worth of Suh's stats are included here.

Eric Foster's numbers match up - 25 solo tackles plus 8 assisted tackles for a total of 33, same on the nfl.com site too

Hmm, interesting. I went by two things. One I clicked on Defense by team and then when I went back to the 2010 playoffs only it shows Moala playing in two playoff games. Obviously he did not play in two playoff games in the 2010 playoffs. Then when I do 2010 regular season only Muir is not on the list at all.

Hmm, interesting. I went by two things. One I clicked on Defense by team and then when I went back to the 2010 playoffs only it shows Moala playing in two playoff games. Obviously he did not play in two playoff games in the 2010 playoffs. Then when I do 2010 regular season only Muir is not on the list at all.

I went to Stats -> Defensive Players -> Defensive Tackles. That shows 2010 stats.

I see how you can be puzzled since the Defenders by Team stats do not show anything for anyone besides the Packers, it is not updated. You are right about that.

Like I stated in the other thread they are onto something with the tackle factor but I think it's a way from a finished product and is not a good tool to show played effectiveness. For example, Freeney has the lowest tackle factor of all defensive ends. Does that mean he is not effective?

Like I stated in the other thread they are onto something with the tackle factor but I think it's a way from a finished product and is not a good tool to show played effectiveness. For example, Freeney has the lowest tackle factor of all defensive ends. Does that mean he is not effective?

Not sure. All stats done by these statisticians are done in a vacuum where they do not know the responsibility or plays called for that particular play. That is always a handicap that they have to work with. Here is 3 years of pass rushing productivity done by Pro Football Focus website, rightfully Mathis and Freeney are in the top 10 from 2008 to 2010 :-).

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/06/20/three-years-of-pass-rushing-productivity-edge-rushers/

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/07/15/pass-rushing-productivity-third-and-fourth-down/

Based on the same kind of list for DTs (http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/06/22/three-years-of-pass-rushing-productivity-interior-defensive-linemen/), I would not mind if the Colts took a stab at Tony Brown, DT from the Titans that was released, he is a good pass rusher from the DT position.

I went to Stats -> Defensive Players -> Defensive Tackles. That shows 2010 stats.

I see how you can be puzzled since the Defenders by Team stats do not show anything for anyone besides the Packers, it is not updated. You are right about that.

There is a pull down menu to select the Colts.

But it was when I selected regular season only for all Defensive tackles, there is no Moala.

At, Stats -> Defensive Players -> Defensive Tackles. The pull down menues are [year][position][games, choices are include playoffs, regular season, playoffs only]. If you select regular season there is no Moala. If you select Playoffs only Moala played in two games.

Perhaps (playoffs only) is accumlative for a career. Because for Raji it shows 5 games and Pouha it shows 4.

But that still would not explain why Moala (or Mookie) is not on there when sorted by regular season.

At, Stats -> Defensive Players -> Defensive Tackles. The pull down menues are [year][position][games, choices are include playoffs, regular season, playoffs only]. If you select regular season there is no Moala.

I see what you are saying now. I think they list only about the top 44 or so DTs. So, when you choose regular season, Moala is not in the top 44. When you include playoffs, Moala is in the top 44 DTs. Their list is not comprehensive and does not list every single DT past the first page like the NFL one. Not sure if it is a shortcoming of paging programming on the web page or if that was by design, only to list the top 44.

I see what you are saying now. I think they list only about the top 44 or so DTs. So, when you choose regular season, Moala is not in the top 44. When you include playoffs, Moala is in the top 44 DTs. Their list is not comprehensive and does not list every single DT past the first page like the NFL one. Not sure if it is a shortcoming of paging programming on the web page or if that was by design, only to list the top 44.

Thanks. That makes sense.