Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Irsay Trying To Break Up With Peyton?

Peyton and Eli fan

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A complete contract restructure between player and team can happen at any time if agreed to by both parties. On his current contract it would be extremely difficult to trade him, unless they negotiated a new contract.

I wish it were that simple. I wish it were like a lease agreement but no it can't be done that easy. Any contract has to fall within the structure of the cba.

A player can sign a new contract(meaning he currently isn't under one) once per league year.

• Manning's 2011 contract was a new contract since he was franchised and not an actual extension of his contract that ended after the 2010 season

A player can renegotiate a continuing contract once per league year.

• Freeney could redo his contract today, and have $ filter into the 2011 cap since it was done in the 2011 league year. If he waits to do so after March 13th, then any benefit will have to start in 2012. He's under a continuing contract.

Manning signed a new contract during the 2011 league year.

• That contract has terms in in it saying that an option bonus is due on March 8th(2011 league year).
  • Nothing can be renegotiated or restructured at this point because a player can only sign/renegotiate one contract a year.
  • Manning signed a new contract so a renegotiation isn't an option until a new league year.

Which leads us to the bonus being paid.

If the bonus is paid, he's under contract for the next 4 years, which also dictates how that option bonus is counted against our salary cap, if he were to be released or traded at a later date. This cannot be altered because it comes from a previous league year. He could restructure and lower his base salary for some form of concession which would lower his 2012 cap hit, but it would not change what penalties we would incur if we tried to trade him.

If the option bonus isn't paid, he's an unrestricted free agent free to sign with anyone and then he will count 10.4 vs. our salary cap due to accelerations from his original signing bonus.

Trade possibilities

He can't be traded prior to the March 8th due date. Nobody can. The trade deadline has passed for the 2011 league year.

If the bonus is paid, sure he can be traded at that point but that would cause an extreme acceleration into our 2012 salary cap which makes it all but impossible to trade him. That would cause a 38.4 million cap acceleration which would be 30-32% of the 2012 salary cap spent on a player that is no longer on the roster, and would cause massive turnover to our roster, because we would have to then create space by releasing people and signing replacements to league minimum's just to field a roster. Which is why it is all but impossible to trade him.

That 38.4 million cap hit would drop to:
  • 28.8 million if traded after 2012 and before 2012
  • 19.2 million if traded after 2013 and before 2014
  • 9.6 million if traded after 2014 and before 2015.

So realistically if his option bonus is picked up a trade isn't economically feasible until 2014-2015 unless there is a larger than expected increase in the salary cap when the new tv contracts start in 2014. Then it might be more likely to absorb a 19.2 million cap hit.

Restructuring his deal cannot change any of these parameters. The only thing he could restructure is base salaries or any future terms. The signing bonus and option bonus are tied to the 2011 league year.

Washington, Dallas & Philly should be removed. He won't go to an NFC east team and face Eli twice a year. I would see him wanting to stay in the AFC as well so they wouldn't be knocking each other of the playoffs.

I fully get that, which would rule Dallas out, I am only observing Dallas from a talent perspective as only needing Peyton to win a SB, same with San Fran, and they have 17 million free in cap space! But I get the AFC thought, Jets, Miami, maybe the Ravens, maybe KC? I can't see many other places ready for a SB just needing a QB.

I fully get that, which would rule Dallas out, I am only observing Dallas from a talent perspective as only needing Peyton to win a SB, same with San Fran, and they have 17 million free in cap space! But I get the AFC thought, Jets, Miami, maybe the Ravens, maybe KC? I can't see many other places ready for a SB just needing a QB.

For the Cowboys to release Romo they would have to eat about 7.7 in cap space. I could see him going to San Fran long before Dallas just because of the Eli connection. I wouldn't call the Dolphins a QB away from the Super Bowl, and they will likely bring Matt Flynn in now that Philbin is in place. NYJ/BLT could use him.. KC/Denver could be interesting... Spots are limited and cap concerns for many of those teams will help dictate the direction they go. I could see the Jets cutting Sanchez long before the Ravens cut ties with Flacco.

For the Cowboys to release Romo they would have to eat about 7.7 in cap space. I could see him going to San Fran long before Dallas just because of the Eli connection. I wouldn't call the Dolphins a QB away from the Super Bowl, and they will likely bring Matt Flynn in now that Philbin is in place. NYJ/BLT could use him.. KC/Denver could be interesting... Spots are limited and cap concerns for many of those teams will help dictate the direction they go. I could see the Jets cutting Sanchez long before the Ravens cut ties with Flacco.

I actually had to throw Miami in that mix at the last minute, cause I could see them as a possibility. Consider they have pick 9 each round, if they were to get a another CB, OLB, and maybe FS on defense, they would be able to compete with Manning under center. Reggie Bush, Marshall, Bess, they have some play making pieces down there. Getting Manning and say Wayne/ Clarke in free agency, then drafting for BPA with need in mind, they could be right there! If Flacco falters sunday, or has an average game, they somehow win, and he chokes in the playoffs, maybe they would push for Peyton, as alot of their veterans are getting old. I live in Baltimore, and they love the thought of Peyton here. I don't see Peyton in Denver, I think AFC would be Jets, Miami, KC, and Ravens. Peyton has respect for Scott Pioli, and they also have early draft picks, and will be getting players back from injury next season, not to mention they have substantial cap room.

Manning would make any team in the NFL an instant contender.

I think Ariz, Sea, SF, and KC would be most attractive... and maybe Denver.

I would include Miami but with the new hire, I do think also Flynn will be their new QB.

I actually had to throw Miami in that mix at the last minute, cause I could see them as a possibility. Consider they have pick 9 each round, if they were to get a another CB, OLB, and maybe FS on defense, they would be able to compete with Manning under center. Reggie Bush, Marshall, Bess, they have some play making pieces down there. Getting Manning and say Wayne/ Clarke in free agency, then drafting for BPA with need in mind, they could be right there! If Flacco falters sunday, or has an average game, they somehow win, and he chokes in the playoffs, maybe they would push for Peyton, as alot of their veterans are getting old. I live in Baltimore, and they love the thought of Peyton here. I don't see Peyton in Denver, I think AFC would be Jets, Miami, KC, and Ravens. Peyton has respect for Scott Pioli, and they also have early draft picks, and will be getting players back from injury next season, not to mention they have substantial cap room.

If we release 44, and 18/44/87 can go somewhere as a package, then that team would be dangerous... Keep in mind 85 & 84 are free agents as welll...

It will be interesting to see how it plays out...

If we release 44, and 18/44/87 can go somewhere as a package, then that team would be dangerous... Keep in mind 85 & 84 are free agents as welll...

It will be interesting to see how it plays out...

I would be shocked if Indy lets Garcon go, Clark and Wayne? I think they are done in Indy,

I would be shocked if Indy lets Garcon go, Clark and Wayne? I think they are done in Indy,

I'm not sure he's worthy of the franchise tag. So it depends on what type of contract he could get elsewhere? If anyone gets a tag I could see it going to Mathis.

I think Wayne will want too much money to merit a new deal based on his age. I think he can be productive for us but at what cost. It's going to be a really interesting off-season and the team will likely have more new faces that Grigson and the coach to be named later.

It's going to depend on the kind of money Garcon gets. If someone is willing to pay Garcon number one money he'll be gone.

Clark you can't release IMO till you either bring back Wayne or Garcon and probably Tamme or draft another Tightend in the draft to take his spot. Even if you draft one and still lose Tamme we are going to have to find a third tightend some place in order to release Clark.

Peyton is gone if tressel comes on. Irsay said he will finish up interviews Tuesday. Look for announcement of tressel or someone else Wednesday or Thursday. I see it as tressel and luck running show in Indy next year.

How does Tressel coming in = Peyton Manning being gone? If anything one could make a case Tressel coming in could = Manning staying if anything because Tressel was on this staff last year.

How does Tressel coming in = Peyton Manning being gone? If anything one could make a case Tressel coming in could = Manning staying if anything because Tressel was on this staff last year.

I just can not see Peyton staying on if tressel is coach. New era ushered in with luck as starter.

I just can not see Peyton staying on if tressel is coach. New era ushered in with luck as starter.

So how is that any different than if we hire anyone else? Like I said if Tressel is the guy he was at least here last year. I don't think Tressel being hired means anything one way or another in regards to Peyton.

So how is that any different than if we hire anyone else? Like I said if Tressel is the guy he was at least here last year. I don't think Tressel being hired means anything one way or another in regards to Peyton.

I just see new era all over the place like 98

So then it doesn't really matter who we hire you think Peyton is gone?

correct, I see manning gone and luck starting. I don't want to be in salary cap heck having 2 guys at same position combining to 50 million for one year. Sad to say I think Peyton is gone.

correct, I see manning gone and luck starting. I don't want to be in salary cap heck having 2 guys at same position combining to 50 million for one year. Sad to say I think Peyton is gone.

Okay that's fine and a fair view point. I just thought you were saying Tressel coming in ment Manning was gone because it was Tressel was coming in.

Okay that's fine and a fair view point. I just thought you were saying Tressel coming in ment Manning was gone because it was Tressel was coming in.

no I just think colts are cleaning house and starting over. It's going to be a lot different next year.