Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My first and last mock draft

I have enjoyed reading the various mock drafts on the board, and even though it's late, I thought I'd join the party.

18. Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville

Getting a good one here. One of the best pure DTs in the draft who I actually could see getting pushed down a little. His talent will trump good players at positions of need. I see him being able to play all three positions in our 3-4, and he can be the three-tech when we line up in 4-3. I know DL is arguably the strongest part of our defense, but the value is too great to pass on. Besides we don’t know when Henry is going to be truly ready to go, and we don’t know if Arthur Jones finally will be able to stay healthy for an entire season? I trust Langford (seriously, check his history. He is always available), and I like McGill, Kerr etc. as backups., but Rankins would make our defensive line go from solid to the place between solid and great.

48. Christian Westerman, OG, Arizona State

We need solid depth at OG, and Hugh Thornton will be that depth in the final year of his contract. Why? Because Christian Westerman is going to the Colts at pick 48. He is a good fit for the zone blocking that’s going to be implemented. Andrew Luck will love this guy’s pass blocking. Yeah, I know center is a greater need, and if Kelly (or Cody Whitehair for that matter) is here, I’d probably go with him over Westerman, but I don’t think he will be, so we’re just going to have to live with Holmes or Harrison for another season. Or are we?

82. Kyler Fackrell, OLB, Utah State

It’s Mathis’ last year with the Colts. It’s Cole’s last year with the Colts. It’s Walden’s last year with the Colts. I don’t believe we’ll extend or re-sign either of them. Thus we need a successor at OLB. Maybe that guy is Fackrell. He’ll get to learn from the veterans, play some snaps, and after his rookie year he can take over full time.

116. Jordan Jenkins, OLB, Georgia

Yup, we go OLB again. We can’t fix everything in one draft, and I feel Jenkins is good value here. And as mentioned above, we’re about to lose three OLBs after this season, so drafting Jenkins along with Fackrell will make us prepared for the 2017 season and beyond. It allows us to focus on other positions in the 2017 draft.

155. Evan Boehm, C, Missouri

It was between him and CB Will Redmond, but I chose to go with Boehm. Their talent level at their respective position are about the same I think, but Boehm addresses a need at the center position. Hopefully he beats out Holmes and Harrison.

239. Deon Bush, S, Miami

Backup safety all the way here. Will compete with Winston Guy and Akeem David.

Bash away!

Canes fan here. Deon bush is an underrated safety. Miami has done a very poor job developing their players the last 10 years. Late rd or undrafted canes players have done very well recently. Guys like Sam shields, Allen hurns, Seantrel Henderson, etc. 

In addition to Deon bush, Wrs Rashwan Scott and Herb Waters could surprise as well. 

I like pretty much all of your picks; Rankins is a personal favorite (along with Karl Joseph), and I like Jenkins a lot too...I'm a fan of all the others as well, Boehm and Westerman would be nice additions to the OL.  I think Rankins could fall to 18...

1 hour ago, Traines said:

I like pretty much all of your picks; Rankins is a personal favorite (along with Karl Joseph), and I like Jenkins a lot too...I'm a fan of all the others as well, Boehm and Westerman would be nice additions to the OL.  I think Rankins could fall to 18...

I hope Joseph falls to our 2nd round pick. Really like him too. Just wouldn't take him at 18.

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

I`lliseat crowison Friday if he`s still there at 82. How that be????

Fackrell may fall to 82 there Is gonna b a huge run on DL In the second round but fackrell IS a player I love and a Grigson type player for sure

Edited by Zach Boyd
had to add something