Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No hablo espanol

oldunclemark

I've been having an odd problem watching network football and I wonder if anyone else is experiencing the same thing.

During the pre-game shows, the broadcast is fine. But when the game starts, the play-by-play is in Spanish.

Commercials are in English but the game is in Spanish.

At halftime and the end of the game, the broadcast goes back to English.

It happened Saturday night in the Jets-Dallas game.

Has this happened to anyone else?  I flunked junior high Spanish. What can I do?

Help.

4 hours ago, Moose Of Woe said:

I think he scored a touchdown.

Funniest reply in this thread MOW. I can't stop laughing. Not over what the broadcaster said, but your profound diction & word choice man. 

All I remember from my Spanish in high school is this:

Donde esta biblioteca? Where is the library?  

5 hours ago, Bogie said:

It sounds like a problem with your television. I don't know what kind of TV you have, since I'm using an old tube box from 1996 as my current big screen, but I would check the language settings in your TV and see if it's a problem there. 

My language monitor is on English......but I do have 2 monitors 'split' off the same cable (so I can watch 2 things at once)  I get Spanish on both sets. But only during the live games.

...Here's the kicker. The NFL Net, where I was hearing Spanish during the live broadcast of Jets-Dallas, also replayed the game in the middle of the night....(a.m. Sunday)

That replay come through my TV set in English.   All without me touching the controls.

I cannot figure it out.

But you are right. If no one else is experiencing this, it must be my TV or my cable input.

11 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

My language monitor is on English......but I do have 2 monitors 'split' off the same cable (so I can watch 2 things at once)  I get Spanish on both sets. But only during the live games.

...Here's the kicker. The NFL Net, where I was hearing Spanish during the live broadcast of Jets-Dallas, also replayed the game in the middle of the night....(a.m. Sunday)

That replay come through my TV set in English.   All without me touching the controls.

I cannot figure it out.

But you are right. If no one else is experiencing this, it must be my TV or my cable input.

your tv is haunted

POST SCRIPT: From the 'In case this happens to you' department.

Apparently on the new 'state of the art'  Xfinity system from Comcast, you must make a preference for your language. If within ALL your audio and settings (and that's key)  you see English, Spanish, French and Standard, you must make a preference (I did not set it up) on ALL settings and the system apparently has standard as its default position. 'Standard' means you may switch back and forth.

The lack of a preference does NOT always make English your default language as it did with earlier ComCast systems. Closed captian is apparently only in English. That's how a show or movie could be aired in Spanish with  English closed captian words running at the bottom of the screen.

Almost all commercials on American TV networks air in English (it costs more to make them in multiple languages) which is why football games switched from Spanish to English when they go to a break without me touching anything. The NFL Net games are broadcast in English and Spanish but the middle-of-the night replays are only in English. That's how the games came to me in Spanish in the p.m. and the replays in English in the a.m,.

How I long for the days when there were only 3 channels and TV went off the air at midnight.