Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tony Romo-NFC East GOAT

Jules

Nothing really that great about beating the terrible Phins but he is by far the best QB in that division which really isn't saying much again. They have the Panthers on Thursday. Should be a great game!

There is a pattern thingie over time with an unbeaten team losing to Dallas and it being a good luck charm. Happened to the Colts in 2006 and the Saints in 2009. Happened to a few other teams as well.

Chad needs to get on this pattern lol.

I still say it has more to do with the era where a backup just can't win. No matter how good or bad you are as a backup, the fact that everything relies on passing now makes it impossible for anybody who doesn't play regularly to win.

The Falcons game was really the only game with Hass that Indy deserved to win, and they still got a break at the end when Matt Ryan showed he that he can't throw the ball more than 40 yards.

But I'm not on the Romo is crap wagon by any means. He's good and next week will be epic.

I still say it has more to do with the era where a backup just can't win. No matter how good or bad you are as a backup, the fact that everything relies on passing now makes it impossible for anybody who doesn't play regularly to win.

Yet 3 back ups all won today and Matt is 3-0 this season.

I agree. And I honestly believe if he has decent numbers and leads the team to the playoffs, he could be in the running for MVP.

Yeah it reminds me of how in 2011 people were saying Manning should get MVP because of terrible the colts were without him. Not that Romo was on Peyton's level, but he clearly is the heart of that team.

There is a pattern thingie over time with an unbeaten team losing to Dallas and it being a good luck charm. Happened to the Colts in 2006 and the Saints in 2009. Happened to a few other teams as well.

Chad needs to get on this pattern lol.

Yes!!! The pattern is very true, and Chad would love it since that's his thing.

1991 Redskins; started 11-0, lost to Dallas, won SB

2006 Colts; started 9-0, lost to Dallas, won SB

2009 Saints; started 13-0, lost to Dallas, won SB

There's a few other SB winning teams in this pattern I would have to dig on. 

A few years ago back in 2012 I joked that the Falcons would go to the SB if they lost to Dallas during their undefeated streak.  

Romo might be the most underappreciated QB in the league.  He's actually a very good QB, but all people want to talk about is how he chokes under pressure, which I think is an inherently flawed claim.  I like Romo

Totally agree with you. He's very unappreciated, and any QB can be put under the magnifying glass and highlighted for their struggles in close games. 

I've always liked Romo cause he reminds me of Brett Favre. The way he moves around and can extend plays is like how Favre was back in the day. 

How is that a flawed claim?.

The definition of pressure is made by those critics and based on what they want to fit their claim.  Romo could have a bad game on Sunday Night Football and they'll say it's because he chokes under pressure.  He could have a great game, then fumble in the 4th quarter because his OL doesn't block for him and they'll still say he chokes under pressure.  Pressure can be a primetime game, playoff game, 4th quarter, 3rd or 4th down, or whatever the critics want, so long as they can give him unwarranted criticism.

For example, if Romo had a bad game today, those critics would be claiming that he chokes under pressure because today was a pressure game for him, given that it's his first game back from injury and his team looks awful without him.  But he got the win, so you don't really hear the critics and no one is saying the pressure was on him today.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that the NFL is a place where there is constant pressure.  It doesn't matter if it's week 3, week 17, or the playoffs.  There's a lot of pressure to win every week.

Now I feel weird for having written the word "pressure" so many times in one response....

The definition of pressure is made by those critics and based on what they want to fit their claim. Romo could have a bad game on Sunday Night Football and they'll say it's because he chokes under pressure. He could have a great game, then fumble in the 4th quarter because his OL doesn't block for him and they'll still say he chokes under pressure. Pressure can be a primetime game, playoff game, 4th quarter, 3rd or 4th down, or whatever the critics want, so long as they can give him unwarranted criticism.

For example, if Romo had a bad game today, those critics would be claiming that he chokes under pressure because today was a pressure game for him, given that it's his first game back from injury and his team looks awful without him. But he got the win, so you don't really hear the critics and no one is saying the pressure was on him today.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that the NFL is a place where there is constant pressure. It doesn't matter if it's week 3, week 17, or the playoffs. There's a lot of pressure to win every week.

Now I feel weird for having written the word "pressure" so many times in one response....

that last sentence was funny :)

Romo might be the most underappreciated QB in the league.  He's actually a very good QB, but all people want to talk about is how he chokes under pressure, which I think is an inherently flawed claim.  I like Romo

Romo hasn't got it done when he needs to and he's becoming injury prone. It's strange how some QBs are given more credit for not playing than playing. Too much coulda woulda shoulda with Romo. He had 13 probowlers one year. He had the number one Oline and running back last year. Couldn't get it done. Romo is underappreciated in any way.