Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

3rd and long (defense)

zibby43

First off, I am beyond pumped about this win.

The offensive playcalling today was fantastic - and so was the sequencing.  With what the Colts accomplished against the #1 D in the league, I am very excited to see what Chud and the boys can do against the AFC South.

I imagine things will only get better as Chud has more time to install and practice his schemes/personnel packages/plays.

Now, on to the subject of the thread.

I am literally amazed by how well the Colts defense does on downs 1-2.  The Colts D consistently gets team into 3rd and long situations.

What amazes me more is how often the Colts surrender first downs or huge, chunk plays on 3rd and long.  I've never seen anything like it.

Anybody else notice this 3rd and long phenomenon?

The lack of pass rush is really hurting the D right now.  Plus, the blitzes just aren't getting home on 3rd and long. 

If the Colts D can get better on 3rd and long, this defense's rankings could begin to rise dramatically.

As terrible as we seem on 3rd down we are middle of the pack at 15th in the league on 3rd downs.... Which seems crazy to me because the eye test seems to suggest that we should be ranked so much lower than that.

I thought that we were going to be dead last in that category, but apparently 15th it is.... The stats are as follows:

1st ranked 3rd down D: Texans (26.7 % conversion rate against)

15th ranked 3rd down D: Colts (37.9 % conversion rate against)

32nd ranked 3rd down D: Ravens (47.9 conversion rate against) 

Could be a lot worse... apparently...

I'm loving Parry as our DT. I was kind of bummed Billy Winn was inactive, dude is a beast. I love our run defense this year (If only the pass rush and secondary could step it up)

I'm really hoping Anderson isn't out for the season.. I really love this kid.

we will be seeing a lot of Billy now with Anderson out, hopefully he continues his good play

First off, I am beyond pumped about this win.

The offensive playcalling today was fantastic - and so was the sequencing.  With what the Colts accomplished against the #1 D in the league, I am very excited to see what Chud and the boys can do against the AFC South.

I imagine things will only get better as Chud has more time to install and practice his schemes/personnel packages/plays.

Now, on to the subject of the thread.

I am literally amazed by how well the Colts defense does on downs 1-2.  The Colts D consistently gets team into 3rd and long situations.

What amazes me more is how often the Colts surrender first downs or huge, chunk plays on 3rd and long.  I've never seen anything like it.

Anybody else notice this 3rd and long phenomenon?

The lack of pass rush is really hurting the D right now.  Plus, the blitzes just aren't getting home on 3rd and long. 

If the Colts D can get better on 3rd and long, this defense's rankings could begin to rise dramatically.

Yes, I was beside myself on how many times teams (not just the Broncos, because that was the worst yet) convert on 3rd and long.  It's not as bad as a turnover obviously, but more detrimental than a penalty in most cases.  They have got to get to the QB on those situations.  Mathis is the only one who can rush the passer as a LB.  I would almost start to bring Lowry or Geathers up to Blitz more often. 

As terrible as we seem on 3rd down we are middle of the pack at 15th in the league on 3rd downs.... Which seems crazy to me because the eye test seems to suggest that we should be ranked so much lower than that.

I thought that we were going to be dead last in that category, but apparently 15th it is.... The stats are as follows:

1st ranked 3rd down D: Texans (26.7 % conversion rate against)

15th ranked 3rd down D: Colts (37.9 % conversion rate against)

32nd ranked 3rd down D: Ravens (47.9 conversion rate against) 

Could be a lot worse... apparently...

That is amazing!  I thought for sure we would be in the upper 20's.  Is that after the Broncos game?  Denver converted a bunch of 3rd and longs in the first half.