Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Bengals Post Game Locker Room Naked Guys Snafu

King Colt

It certainty has been much different than it is now. The Internet has changed the entire dynamic of the media. It's a 24/7 cycle now. It used to be the nightly news and the news paper. Deadlines are basically a thing of the past. The news comes out at all hours of the day and night

It's been that way for ten years.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You said it's NEVER been different. Fact is it has, and is getting worse. They give out way too many press passes to individuals that shouldn't have them.

Okay, I misspoke. Dude people were complaining about the same things long long before you were alive. Who is they.

Isn't one player ending up nude on TV and all over social media enough to change this silly "tradition" Had it been Serena Williams the world would be in uproar

This isn't a tradition.

This is something that has been decided is the best way to do post-game interviews for all parties concerned.

Tradition has nothing to do with it.

I know I'm new here and late to the discussion, but it's not an isolated incident. Vikings TE Visanthe Shiancoe's privates were broadcast live during a post-game locker room speech by the Vikings owner in 2008. Google it because the link to Deadspin has images that are NSFW.

Thanks!    I always appreciate good information.

I'll Google it,  and before I do, I'd like to ask this.....    where was the reaction back then?     Where was the movement to make the change?

Where were the players demanding change?      Where was the President of the players union demanding change?

As for you being new,   welcome!     And good job!         :thmup:

Thanks!    I always appreciate good information.

I'll Google it,  and before I do, I'd like to ask this.....    where was the reaction back then?     Where was the movement to make the change?

Where were the players demanding change?      Where was the President of the players union demanding change?

As for you being new,   welcome!     And good job!         :thmup:

Thanks! Nice place you have here.

As for the reaction, it was definitely talked about not just on ESPN but also got mentions in the mainstream media as well. No twitter back in 2008 iirc, so it made the news and died out. Now that Twitter makes things explode (re: Odell Beckham's catch), this latest locker room incident reached more people's attention than the Vikings one in 2008. Social media, man.

As far as the players demanding change, sure some spoke out. But I didn't hear much about it shortly afterward. Facebook was pretty new back then and myspace was being used for posting the first selfies, not news-sharing.

Thanks! Nice place you have here.

As for the reaction, it was definitely talked about not just on ESPN but also got mentions in the mainstream media as well. No twitter back in 2008 iirc, so it made the news and died out. Now that Twitter makes things explode (re: Odell Beckham's catch), this latest locker room incident reached more people's attention than the Vikings one in 2008. Social media, man.

As far as the players demanding change, sure some spoke out. But I didn't hear much about it shortly afterward. Facebook was pretty new back then and myspace was being used for posting the first selfies, not news-sharing.

I'll look again,  but the first page of results had only stories about the event.

I didn't see anything about a real reaction from players or their union,  or a call to keep the media out of the locker-room.

Really?   Having an interview room is hard to do?   Seems to me that a structured interview room would make the media coverage even better.  

All I hear you saying is "It's always been done this way".   I work in an industry that has been around for a long time.   We are in a constant fight to improve processes.   Lots of people say "We've always done it like this.   Why change".    The answer is because it can be improved.

Media in the locker rooms is still a silly idea even though it has been done that way for a long time.   Let's interview guys while they are changing clothes.   This seems like a good idea to people?

Easy fix.   Do it in another room.

What is your opposition to another room?

I think we're close to beating this horse to death.....

So, I'll toss out my last few points and leave the last word for you...

If this has been such a big deal,  where was this story a month ago?    A year ago?   5 years ago,  10 years, 15 years, 20 years, 25 years?    I mean how far back do you want me to go.     I did a search and all that came up was the incident about a week ago.

And let me add this......   if this was such a big deal,  where are the comments from the other 31 NFL teams?    If players are sincerely bothered, why haven't the player reps for all teams come forward to talk about this?     As far as I can tell, only the Bengals rep has said anything?

Finally.....   if this was such a big deal,  where has DeMaurice Smith, the President of the NFLPA,  been on this?    In the years he's been President, I'm not sure he's said anything about this?     And, as best as I can tell,  he hasn't said anything about this since the recent incident.

Doesn't that pretty much tell you all you need to know.     The players now claim this is a big deal to them......  and history shows that before, and since this incident,  they, and their representatives have said a grand total of...................................    Nothing.

The last word is yours.........

Who said this was a "big deal"?  I said it was obviously a problem because there is at least one player who has openly spoken out about it, and I can't possibly believe he's the only one.  I never said this was a huge problem.  I simply disagree with your notion that it's not a problem at all.  

To your comments as to why hasn't anything been said...I have no idea.  Maybe the players are told to just be quiet and deal with it.  How do we know there haven't been internal discussions in the NFLPA about it but they simply decided to accept it the way it is.  Personally, I'm not going to pretend to think that every issue they've ever discussed has been made public.  

To a point you made in a later post about this being determined to be the best way to handle these interviews for all parties involved...yeah I'm calling nonsense on that one.  This was decided as the best way for the media.  You'll have a very difficult time convincing me that the media was at all concerned with what was in the best interest of the players. :)

Question: Do they allow females to enter? If I had nothing but a towel around me, and someone like Ines Sainz walked in on me, asking me about my sack totals, I'd be fined for unsportsmanlike conduct.

sainz-main.jpg?itok=BZU_QrwO

Recall the first week when females were allowed in a number of player on the Patriots (I believe it was the Pats) walked up to her intentionally flaunting their "goods" and that stupid stunt was all over the news pointing at "equal access to the locker rooms regardless of gender".

Who said this was a "big deal"?  I said it was obviously a problem because there is at least one player who has openly spoken out about it, and I can't possibly believe he's the only one.  I never said this was a huge problem.  I simply disagree with your notion that it's not a problem at all.  

To your comments as to why hasn't anything been said...I have no idea.  Maybe the players are told to just be quiet and deal with it.  How do we know there haven't been internal discussions in the NFLPA about it but they simply decided to accept it the way it is.  Personally, I'm not going to pretend to think that every issue they've ever discussed has been made public.  

To a point you made in a later post about this being determined to be the best way to handle these interviews for all parties involved...yeah I'm calling nonsense on that one.  This was decided as the best way for the media.  You'll have a very difficult time convincing me that the media was at all concerned with what was in the best interest of the players. :)

Apologies for responding when I gave you the last word.....   just wanted to clarify a point.....

When I said that it was decided locker-room interviews are the best for all parties concerned,  I didn't mean to imply that the players had a voice in this....   they clearly didn't.      But the owners did.    And this was, and has always been the owners viewpoint.    And the owners, are, well,  the owners.    It's their world and the rest of us live in it.

In another post (not sure if it was this thread)  I said the players want it both ways.    They want the money that the media helps bring in,  but some don't want to cooperate very much.      Sorry,  but I'm not very sympathetic to those who want their cake and can eat it too.      You want the kind of money that you're making?    OK,  just recognize that the media has a job to do and it helps generate interest and helps keep your spot popular, and that helps get you more money.   

Why do you think the NFL fines guys like Marshawn Lynch pretty good money for not cooperating?     The NFL recognizes that even though the media can be a royal pain in the rear,  it has a function,  an important job to do that helps grow the game.     It isn't hard to put a towel around yourself,  and if a player isn't comfortable with that,  it isn't hard to tell the media gathered around a locker "hey guys, give me a minute"...   and they put their underwear and t-shirt on and finished getting dressed while doing interviews.      It just isn't that hard.

Apologies for responding when I gave you the last word.....   just wanted to clarify a point.....

When I said that it was decided locker-room interviews are the best for all parties concerned,  I didn't mean to imply that the players had a voice in this....   they clearly didn't.      But the owners did.    And this was, and has always been the owners viewpoint.    And the owners, are, well,  the owners.    It's their world and the rest of us live in it.

In another post (not sure if it was this thread)  I said the players want it both ways.    They want the money that the media helps bring in,  but some don't want to cooperate very much.      Sorry,  but I'm not very sympathetic to those who want their cake and can eat it too.      You want the kind of money that you're making?    OK,  just recognize that the media has a job to do and it helps generate interest and helps keep your spot popular, and that helps get you more money.   

Why do you think the NFL fines guys like Marshawn Lynch pretty good money for not cooperating?     The NFL recognizes that even though the media can be a royal pain in the rear,  it has a function,  an important job to do that helps grow the game.     It isn't hard to put a towel around yourself,  and if a player isn't comfortable with that,  it isn't hard to tell the media gathered around a locker "hey guys, give me a minute"...   and they put their underwear and t-shirt on and finished getting dressed while doing interviews.      It just isn't that hard.

It's much easier to use another room.  

The media wants their cake and to eat it too.    They can be obnoxious, intrusive and ask stupid questions when you are changing clothes.   But they want treated with respect as if they are real journalists.

I definitely understand that and agree.  

Didn't see this post in whichever thread it was in, but I agree with this as well.  I do think it's stupid that players are forced to talk to the media, but it's in their contracts so it's part of the responsibility of being an NFL player.

It isn't hard to put a towel around yourself,  and if a player isn't comfortable with that,  it isn't hard to tell the media gathered around a locker "hey guys, give me a minute"...   and they put their underwear and t-shirt on and finished getting dressed while doing interviews.      It just isn't that hard.

Bottom line, not every player is going to be comfortable with that, nor should they be forced to be imo.  There are other ways.  But as you said..beaten to death.

If the players cant tolerate reporters seeing them naked, how would they be able to tolerate an openly homosexual man (Michael Sam?)

This is why homosexuality will never work in the NFL

You are on a roll tonight. :facepalm: the reporters weren't the problem. The cameras and then the uploading of them naked on national TV was the problem

You are on a roll tonight. :facepalm: the reporters weren't the problem. The cameras and then the uploading of them naked on national TV was the problem

yeah, if thats a problem I am sure having an open homosexual frolicking about the locker room wont be...  :facepalm:

If a player cant stand for some people to barely see his butt on national tv, I dont see how they could tolerate a homosexual staring at them.

You've never been in a locker room obviously. Seeing teammates naked is not a problem. Having your cash and prizes on display on TV then having to explain that to your children is totally different. Having a gay teammate is irrelevant. There is probably a gay member on every nfl team

You've never been in a locker room obviously. Seeing teammates naked is not a problem. Having your cash and prizes on display on TV then having to explain that to your children is totally different. Having a gay teammate is irrelevant. There is probably a gay member on every nfl team

Right, its not a problem if youre not gay. There's a reason men and women dont share lockerrooms. Why should it be different for homosexuals?

If a player cant stand for some people to barely see his butt on national tv, I dont see how they could tolerate a homosexual staring at them. 

So you think a gay player is going to stare at the other players while they are undressing?

What's the better way?

I think you can have a period in the locker room when the press is let in to witness the game ball presentation and all the hoopla that precedes that.  Then the locker room is cleared and a couple filler interviews with players before they change, then podium interviews with players as they emerge.  

1. media waits for players in the winning locker room
  2. media is flushed out of the locker room
  3. media interviews select players outside locker room while others shower
  4. select players take to the podium after showering

There's no reason for anyone to be looking up, averting their eyes, or anything else.  Just let people dress in peace.

Yes,  female members of the media are allowed into male locker-rooms.

The unwritten, but fully understood code,  is that "eyes" remain UP!     No wandering eyes looking below the waist.  

Been that way for a very long time....   several decades....

Are male members of media allowed into female locker rooms?.

Any particular reason why men aren't allowed?

Because there are nude women.

Women can't cover up as easily as men can.

Doing post-games in an interview is easier with Women than with men.     There might be 3-6 members of the media at most women's events.

There might be one to two DOZEN reporters at most men's events,  and even more at bigger events.     There's just no comparison.

Because there are nude women.

Women can't cover up as easily as men can.

Doing post-games in an interview is easier with Women than with men. There might be 3-6 members of the media at most women's events.

There might be one to two DOZEN reporters at most men's events, and even more at bigger events. There's just no comparison.

Is this your rationale?. Men can cover up quick ??.

I understand what you said earlier about camera pointing towards the face. What about off camera?. The women reporters can watch naked men walking around.

I can see why some players and their wives complain.

Just because it's followed from Stone Age doesn't mean it is aok.

Is this your rationale?. Men can cover up quick ??.

I understand what you said earlier about camera pointing towards the face. What about off camera?. The women reporters can watch naked men walking around.

I can see why some players and their wives complain.

Just because it's followed from Stone Age doesn't mean it is aok.

I didn't say "quick"....   I said "easier"  and that's not hard to be true.

The women have areas to cover north and south.....     the area for men to cover,  is only south.     Men's bodies and women's bodies are different.

A woman is going to need two hands to hold on to a towel around her.     A man can do it with one.

This might not seem like much to you,   but in the real world of a locker-room,  it's huge.

Yes,  some players and some wives complain.      Some.

But if you'd like to hear lots and lots and lots and lots of complaints,  just bring men into the women's locker-room.     You'll hear more than you've ever heard before.

I didn't say "quick".... I said "easier" and that's not hard to be true.

The women have areas to cover north and south..... the area for men to cover, is only south. Men's bodies and women's bodies are different.

A woman is going to need two hands to hold on to a towel around her. A man can do it with one.

This might not seem like much to you, but in the real world of a locker-room, it's huge.

Yes, some players and some wives complain. Some.

But if you'd like to hear lots and lots and lots and lots of complaints, just bring men into the women's locker-room. You'll hear more than you've ever heard before.

Oh really, because men are in fact allowed in women's locker rooms. They just don't let any media in until everyone is prepared. Crazy concept I know

It takes a woman longer to put a towel on than a man?  Does it take a woman longer to throw on a pair of underwear and a tshirt than it does a man?

Please read my response to Shane Bond....   that should cover it.

Your last few responses on this issue have been little more than looking for a fight.    If this were a court-room, a judge would've shut you down days ago as being little more than argumentative.

You're not just smart,  you're one of the smartest people on this entire website,  but your last few answers in this on-going thread have been painful to read.    Beneath you.    Not worthy of you.  

A woman gets out of a shower,  she's got a towel wrapped around herself.   She walks to her locker where she's greeted by the media.    How is she supposed to drop her towel and get dressed before talking to the media?

A man can put on his underwear beneath his towel and then he's covered.    He can then dress at his own pace without fear of anything being shown.

Good God, man.....   does this really have to turn into an anatomy class?       Come, freaking,  on!!!

Oh really, because men are in fact allowed in women's locker rooms. They just don't let any media in until everyone is prepared. Crazy concept I know

Here we go again.............   (sigh....)

There's a difference between media demands of a WNBA game and the media demands of most any male sport.    The two are not the same.   They're not even close.

If the media is only allowed in after the men shower and dress,  then most will not get interviewed.   Because while the reporters are talking to Andrew Luck,  most of the other players are not going to wait around to be interviewed.....    they're going to walk out the door and leave.

Yes......    really.

Please read my response to Shane Bond....   that should cover it.

Your last few responses on this issue have been little more than looking for a fight.    If this were a court-room, a judge would've shut you down days ago as being little more than argumentative.

You're not just smart,  you're one of the smartest people on this entire website,  but your last few answers in this on-going thread have been painful to read.    Beneath you.    Not worthy of you.  

A woman gets out of a shower,  she's got a towel wrapped around herself.   She walks to her locker where she's greeted by the media.    How is she supposed to drop her towel and get dressed before talking to the media?

A man can put on his underwear beneath his towel and then he's covered.    He can then dress at his own pace without fear of anything being shown.

Good God, man.....   does this really have to turn into an anatomy class?       Come, freaking,  on!!!

To be fair, you are the one arguing for women to be allowed in men's dressing rooms.   Good gads!

There is a very easy alternative which you keep refusing to reply to.

Which men,  in which locker-rooms?

I'm tryng to think of post-game interviews done in a women's locker-room, and nothing comes to mind?

Tennis?    Golf?     Basketball?     Volleyball? 

What sport am I missing?      In those I just listed,  they all get brought out to a media room.

Which sport allows men in the women's locker-room?

I'm not saying you're wrong.    I haven't done this in roughly 15 years, so perhaps the rules have changed and I don't know?    Quite possible.

Which sport?

To be fair, you are the one arguing for women to be allowed in men's dressing rooms.   Good gads!

There is a very easy alternative which you keep refusing to reply to.

What are you talking about?

Women ARE allowed in men's locker-rooms.     And I'm fine with it.

Football,  basketball,  baseball,  as far as I know,  there are no restrictions.

Which men, in which locker-rooms?

I'm tryng to think of post-game interviews done in a women's locker-room, and nothing comes to mind?

Tennis? Golf? Basketball? Volleyball?

What sport am I missing? In those I just listed, they all get brought out to a media room.

Which sport allows men in the women's locker-room?

I'm not saying you're wrong. I haven't done this in roughly 15 years, so perhaps the rules have changed and I don't know? Quite possible.

Which sport?

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2010/09/nude-naked-locker-room-nfl-nba-wnba/1#.VjJoqcvD_qA