Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Post Week 6 Colts Draft

Most of my drafts from now on won't include drafts, but I wanted to include one here. I have the Colts making the playoffs but going nowhere once they get there.

Round 1 Pick 25 (NYJ): Su'a Cravens, OLB/SS, Southern California (B+)
Round 2 Pick 21: Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State (A+)
Round 2 Pick 25 (NYJ): Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama (A)
Round 3 Pick 21: Dan Voltz, C, Wisconsin (A+)
Round 4 Pick 21: Devonte Fields, DE/OLB, Louisville (B+)
Round 5 Pick 20: Cyrus Jones, CB, Alabama (A+)

Indy now has an intimidating safety tandem and Cravens has the talent to be the next Kam Chancellor. Conklin drops a little due to his season long injury. He steps in at RT. Ragland could start at ILB in place of DQwell or Freeman. Voltz could play C or RG. Great competition for both Holmes and Thornton. Fields is an option for depth at OLB. Jones is the same type of pick at CB.

It's a best case scenario draft at this point. I'm going after the best players at positions of need for the Colts.

I understand it is all a fluid situation at this point, and I appreciate you taking the time to put this together. I really like the draft, and the players you took, but I don't see many being there at the respective picks JMO. If somehow they are I would be ecstatic, that is if Grigson picks them.

I understand it is all a fluid situation at this point, and I appreciate you taking the time to put this together. I really like the draft, and the players you took, but I don't see many being there at the respective picks JMO. If somehow they are I would be ecstatic, that is if Grigson picks them.

Aside from getting Leanord Floyd in round 3 or Ronnie Stanley in round 2, no one really knows yet where players are going.

People thought I was dreaming when I thought Indy could get both Moncrief and Henry Anderson in round 3.

Aside from getting Leanord Floyd in round 3 or Ronnie Stanley in round 2, no one really knows yet where players are going.

People thought I was dreaming when I thought Indy could get both Moncrief and Henry Anderson in round 3.

Anyone who thought you were dreaming on Moncrief and Anderson were people who don't know/understand the draft.

Those who do understand it had no problem with those picks.

There is a difference between people who know,  and those who don't have any idea.

Anyone who thought you were dreaming on Moncrief and Anderson were people who don't know/understand the draft.

Those who do understand it had no problem with those picks.

There is a difference between people who know, and those who don't have any idea.

What I've found is that most players here tend to overrate prospects. This was really apparent this past draft when people thought we had no shot at Collins, Brown, or Goldman. They all fell to us.

I see it happening with this draft too. While Conklin in the 2nd is a stretch, Ragland in the late second isn't. He's not CJ Mosely and ILB isn't a premium position.

That's why I always tell people not to say that there's no way "X" player will fall to our pick. The only locks are Bosa, Stanley, and Nkedimche, who are all probably top 10 locks.

What I've found is that most players here tend to overrate prospects. This was really apparent this past draft when people thought we had no shot at Collins, Brown, or Goldman. They all fell to us.

I see it happening with this draft too. While Conklin in the 2nd is a stretch, Ragland in the late second isn't. He's not CJ Mosely and ILB isn't a premium position.

That's why I always tell people not to say that there's no way "X" player will fall to our pick. The only locks are Bosa, Stanley, and Nkedimche, who are all probably top 10 locks.

Of the three players I hi-lited, I think the only one I personally thought we had no shot at was......   Brown.      I didn't see any mock that showed him reaching the Colts.

Most had him going 20-25,  but a number also had him going in the teens.

But at some point in April,  I saw lots and lots of mocks showing Collins to the Colts.     I think his stock started to slip.      Now, I didn't think he'd fall all the way out of the first round,   but I wasn't surprised he reached us.     

And I thought there was a very good chance Goldman would reach us because he's more of a Nose than he is a lineman who would flank the nose like an end....   

On balance,  I think you make a good point when you advise people here NOT to say there's "no chance" that player-X won't fall to the Colts in the first round.   Those kind of surprises happen a number of times every year.      As for other rounds, I try to deal with phrases like "not likely"  or "possible" or "probable"....    those kind of terms.    It opens up possibilities because the further you go into the draft,  the less everyone knows.