Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mission, Objectives, Strategy And Tactics

CoachLite

What I think the Colts need are a better Mission, Objectives, Strategies and Tactics - on field and off - not mere slogans like Build the Monster, or One. For example:

Mission: To be the preeminent NFL football team, to develop, and be known for a remarkable legacy of achievement.

Objectives: To win the Super Bowl in 2015-6 and another two times in the subsequent 5 years.

Strategy: To dominate the hearts, minds, and bodies (individually and collectively) of our opponents, by foiling their game execution while succeeding in our own, and winning.

Execution: To know what to do, how to do it, and when to do it - then doing it - without having to think about it.

Tactics: The tactics are detailed by the playbook, as modified by the conditions presented by the opponents on the field. These tactics shall be analyzed by the results of the game, game film and discussion. If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it here.

A mission statement doesn't put "W's" in your Win column.

In this day and age, I disagree. Ask Bill Belichick. Harvard Business Review did this interview years ago with Bill Walsh. It shows the differences well known to successful enterprises:

"Bill Walsh: I see coaches and executives who have more similar skills today than ever before. When I was with the 49ers, I was both head coach and general manager, so my duties were more business oriented than those of a lot of NFL head coaches. Today’s NFL is a very complex world, and great football knowledge alone won’t get your team to the Super Bowl."

"Management today recognizes that to have a winning organization, it has to be more knowledgeable and competent in dealing with and developing people. That is the most fundamental change. The real task in sports is to bring together groups of people to accomplish something. In the old days, the approach was rather crude. The organization would simply discard a player who did not fit a specific, predefined mold. If a player did not conform to the way management wanted him to behave, or if he made the organization uncomfortable, it got rid of him. That was the typical response."

"The role of the head coach begins with setting a standard of competence. You have to exhibit a strong working knowledge of the game. The head coach must be able to function effectively and decisively in the most stressful situations. And the head coach must demonstrate resourcefulness—in particular, he is responsible for designing a system of football that is not simplistic. The head coach’s system should never reduce the game to the point where he can blame his players for success or failure simply because they did not physically overwhelm the opponents."

"It starts with the expectations the head coach sets. It is part of the job to expect everyone in the organization to be an expert in his or her particular area of responsibility, to refine their skills continually, and to be physically and intellectually committed to the team. The head coach has to make it clear that he expects everyone to participate and volunteer his or her thoughts, impressions, and ideas. The goal is to create a communication channel that allows important information to get from the bottom to the top."

Words are cheap, but some worth more than others (especially those of Bill Walsh:

Bill Walsh - Coach

HOF Class of 1993 Coach (San Jose State, San Mateo Junior College) 1979-1988 San Francisco 49ers William Ernest Walsh. . .Led 49ers to three Super Bowl wins (XVI, XIX, XXIII) in 10 years. . .Overall record: 102-63-1. . . Got first head coaching job at age 47. . .Led 49ers to first-ever NFL title in just three years. . . Won six NFC Western division titles, three NFC championships. . .NFL Coach of Year, 1981; NFC Coach of Year, 1984. . .Widely recognized as passing offense expert with keen ability to evaluate talent. . . Born November 30, 1931, in Los Angeles, California. . .Died July 30, 2007, at age of 75. - See more at: http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.aspx?PLAYER_ID=224#sthash.e9o9pf3u.dpuf