Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Indy Finally Address The Ol Next Draft?

I think people really get to worked up over the preseason. We have 37 guys seeing action that won't be on the team at the start of the season. We have been able to run the ball vs 1,2,and 3's except when Tipton or Ballard totes the rock. That appears to me what we have focused on this preseason.

I think the biggest thing will be to get out of these next two games injury free. Thorton hopefully will be close to return by week 1 maybe before. We have shown the ability to run the ball much more effectively.

I am not convinced the O Line is the mess everyone seems to think it is. I will reserve judgment until after the Bills and Jets game. Those two defensive fronts week 1 and 2 should give us a pretty good idea where we are.

That being said I think we will continue to add to the trenches in the draft.

Looking and drafting linemen is a never ending process. Some seem to think that because we don't have all pro at some positions Grigson don't see and comprehend what is happening. Finding good linemen is something every GM in the league has problems with when your always picking at the end of rounds. Free agent linemen mostly are over the hill or over priced. So your comment is spot on.

I don't think the problem has been that the Colts haven't tried to improve the offensive line. I think the problem has been the additions have been injured.

I believe that Gosder Cherilus and Donald Thomas would have been excellent additions to the line if they could have stayed healthy. Holmes is the starting center right now and while he may not be a Pro Bowler I think he would be a lot better if he had been healthier since entering the league.

Castonzo - Mewhort - Holmes - Thomas - Cherilus wouldn't be bad at all imo.

As others have pointed out you don't have to draft quality lineman high in the draft. I think what we are being reminded of with the Colts is the importance of health on your line. Of course health is important with any player at any position but it is much more difficult to replace injured offensive lineman starters than some other positions.

I don't think the problem has been that the Colts haven't tried to improve the offensive line. I think the problem has been the additions have been injured.

I believe that Gosder Cherilus and Donald Thomas would have been excellent additions to the line if they could have stayed healthy. Holmes is the starting center right now and while he may not be a Pro Bowler I think he would be a lot better if he had been healthier since entering the league.

Castonzo - Mewhort - Holmes - Thomas - Cherilus wouldn't be bad at all imo.

As others have pointed out you don't have to draft quality lineman high in the draft. I think what we are being reminded of with the Colts is the importance of health on your line. Of course health is important with any player at any position but it is much more difficult to replace injured offensive lineman starters than some other positions.

It's true to an extent. If you're looking for a franchise LT, you probably are going to have to pick that guy pretty high in the draft. Guys with those traits are rare. But for the other positions along the line, with good scouting and effective coaching to develop guys, you can land you some quality players a little later. Problem is, I'm not sure if we do have good enough scouting and coaching at that position to pull that off. Maybe we do, I just haven't seen evidence yet. 

This OL has been mediocre at best since this new regime arrived. I for one hope we invest high draft picks on talented OL players along with help at pass rushing LB, ILB, and NT.

I know this is very early to be discussing this, but what's your prediction on how things will unfold next offseason?

I doubt anything noticeable will change re: on-field personnel - a few new names, maybe, but mostly about the same. I wonder what might happen with better (even just different) coaching of the o-line?