Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Madden 16 Trailer

SteelCityColt

I haven't owned an up to date system since my XBox 360 which I played Madden on for a few weeks before I got the infamous ring of death light which XBox refused to fix. Before that I had a PS2 and that ESPN football game but never played it after that. The last system I owned and actually played was the Genesis lol! Anyway I've never played a Madden game that wasn't insanely good. Critics just rip on Madden to justify their existence it seems.

If the people at EA put that kind of time, money, and effort into their Madden games, we'd actually have a decent football video game to play. Unfortunately, we're stuck with the same garbage games put out year after year

Heard that! NBA2k has been putting in a lot of work! They actually improve their games. 2k is going to embarrass Madden this year.

If the people at EA put that kind of time, money, and effort into their Madden games, we'd actually have a decent football video game to play. Unfortunately, we're stuck with the same garbage games put out year after year

The dangers of a monopoly.

I still yearn for a "Football Manager" style game for the NFL for all us armchair GMs. If only.

I haven't owned an up to date system since my XBox 360 which I played Madden on for a few weeks before I got the infamous ring of death light which XBox refused to fix. Before that I had a PS2 and that ESPN football game but never played it after that. The last system I owned and actually played was the Genesis lol! Anyway I've never played a Madden game that wasn't insanely good. Critics just rip on Madden to justify their existence it seems.

one of my big problems with madden is they promise "new physics" pretty much every year.  yet to this day, it is still common for the ball to go right through the defenders hands, or even their body.  it would probably take an entirely new game engine to fix this clipping issue yet they refuse to build one

also, the LOS could use some work.  if a defender is within a yard or two of an Oline man, they are sort of sucked into the blocker.  the ball carrier can even be behind you, yet you are still getting sucked into the line

another BIG problem- there is no way easy way to make your #1 corner back follow the #1 WR.  a super cheap trick is to put your #1 at the WR 5 position so he can burn who ever is at the bottom of the depth chart

these problems have all been around forever, and EA doesnt care because of the monopoly

Heard that! NBA2k has been putting in a lot of work! They actually improve their games. 2k is going to embarrass Madden this year.

If 2K could put out a football game.  The NFL gave EA an exclusive license, so they're the only company that can make NFL-based games.  2K can make a football game, but it can't include any of the NFL's players, coaches, etc.

I still yearn for a "Football Manager" style game for the NFL for all us armchair GMs. If only.

Franchise mode is somewhat similar to a manager mode, if I correctly understand what you're saying

If 2K could put out a football game. The NFL gave EA an exclusive license, so they're the only company that can make NFL-based games. 2K can make a football game, but it can't include any of the NFL's players, coaches, etc.

Franchise mode is somewhat similar to a manager mode, if I correctly understand what you're saying

Yes but it's nowhere near the depth of a proper management sim.

When I said Football Manager I was referring to a specific series, hugely successful, wonderfully detailed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_Manager

Imagine being able to coach all the way from the lowest college through the the NFL or maybe even the CFL with a proper database of players.

Madden have neglected the franchise mode to the extent it's actually worse then it used to be.

Amen. I got so sick of Madden, that as an American, I decided to learn the intricate rules of soccer and play Football Manager 2015. After playing FM15, I can never go back to Madden. Yes, I was so desperate for a good sports simulator, I learned soccer so I could play a video game! Some might laugh, thinking, "How could you not know the rules of soccer!?" Until you learn all the roles (sweeper, poacher, limited full back, trequartista, etc.), understand the different philosophies (go route one, hassle opponents, etc.), process individual tactics (looking for overlap, tempo, etc.) you begin to realize the game has an amazing amount of depth and complexity that Madden is lacking.

You get these FM people who take their tactics to the extreme and plan meticulous details:

fm14-tactic-4-4-2-wing-play-600x378.png

And this type of stuff is a thing of beauty compared to Madden -- easy to read and a plethora of information with a vast array of attributes that actually MATTER. To avoid lawsuits, FM's developers wisely made the game very modder friendly, and mods have taken the liberty of adding over 160,000 player faces (and counting!), unlike Madden which hates the PC market and closes off the game to modders.

824379248231e83f9d422e3e3a4fbc7b.png

Yes but it's nowhere near the depth of a proper management sim.

When I said Football Manager I was referring to a specific series, hugely successful, wonderfully detailed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_Manager

Imagine being able to coach all the way from the lowest college through the the NFL or maybe even the CFL with a proper database of players.

Madden have neglected the franchise mode to the extent it's actually worse then it used to be.

I see.  I've never played Football Manager, though I've seen a lot of ads, so I assume it's a highly successful series.  As for coaching a guy all the way from college to the pros, EA won't do that.  They have a separate series for college football, so they use that.  If they merged the two, they'd make less money.

I see. I've never played Football Manager, though I've seen a lot of ads, so I assume it's a highly successful series. As for coaching a guy all the way from college to the pros, EA won't do that. They have a separate series for college football, so they use that. If they merged the two, they'd make less money.

Except now EA can't even makes NCAA anymore because of the image rights row. Besides I wouldn't trust EA to make such a game :P

With the explosion of fantasy football I would have thought that such a game would have a ready made audience in the States.

Yea, the lack of soccer in the States is something I learned when seeking tutorials not only on soccer, but on FM. Resources on learning FM are lacking, and the ones I found were either in foreign languages, or English-speakers on Youtube with thick accents. It was also hard weeding through people providing false information, simply because they were experimenting with their man crushes on certain teams, like Chelsea. Hell, I was so new, I thought Chelsea was a girl!

Resources became worse once I learned to play FM, because I wanted to take the next step up and learn the intricacies of mastering the system (money tactics, best formations, etc.). It's frustrating because in the States, most of us discuss sports games in terms of exploiting the A.I., but in European countries, they rarely divulged such things! They'd discuss franchise stories, experiment, and showed nothing but respect for soccer in all its forms. Eventually, I just started yelling at people for answers (typical American mindset, pffh). Now this American is too gud for FM! Ez game, ez life!