Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could the colts have a top 10 defense this season?

RockThatBlue

As an UDFA from an FCS school, Kerr did very well last year.  You may well be correct that he was winded as the season went on, and his off-season conditioning should help.

That said, I think Kerr has a pretty limited window for growth as a player -- I hope I'm wrong, but I don't expect to see him improve a whole lot from what the best of we saw last year (which, was pretty good).  Chapman is bigger, I think has more upside, and I think usually a better player against the run. 

Hughes, when he was drafted, was drafted based on potential.  He has the size and athleticism, and I think he should have the improved strength and football knowledge going into his 3rd year to make a big leap.  While Chapman is going into his 4th year, I really think he still has room for improvement -- mainly because he was IR'ed his first year, and for a guy his size a knee injury like that may take quite some time to fully recover from -- his second year he played sparingly and last year he showed he can stand up to a full season.

Last year we had 6 DL on our final roster --- If I had to predict our DL for the final 53 right now it would be:

Locks:  Art Jones, Kendall Langford, Henry Anderson, Josh Chapman, Montori Hughes

On the Bubble: Zach Kerr, David Parry, Jeris Pendleton, Kelcy Quarles

Very unlikely: Earl Okine

I think there is a good chance we start the season with 7 DL instead of 6 -- in which case I think we'd see 2 of the players I listed make the team (my guess would be Kerr and Parry, though I was very impressed with Pendleton the little I saw of him before he got injured and I have a feeling the coaches like Quarles more than I do).

Nice assessment, CFMC! With the additions of Langford, Anderson, Cole, Irving, (maybe Parry), and Geathers the Colts just might contain the opposing run stopping defense so desperately needed. Also, Mathis coming back would create havoc on a larger scale too.

The remaining defense is up to par, I think. So yeah, coupled with our running attack that also helps out the D, I could envision Indy being in the Top 10 if all are 100% healthy, and pretty much sustain that over the course of the season.

I have no reason to believe we cant be a top 10 or even top 5. A big key in that will be offensive turnovers in my opinion, More turnovers means more time spent on the field for the defense(And again if we can run the ball at a respectable level that means Luck don't have to put it all on his shoulders game after game and that inevitably usually leads to mistakes more often then not in any QB if they have to repeatedly do that week in and week out), More time spent on the field for the defense obviously means D Linemen getting worn down quicker. Obviously players staying healthy will be a huge factor. If both those things happen I believe we can be a top 10 or 5

We were #2 last year on 3rd downs... Buffalo was better with teams converting only on 33.2% of 3rd downs and the Colts were right there at 33.3%.

As an AFC south team, don`t you think we played MORE GAMES against teams without NFL quality QB`s?? Kinda scews the reality of the numbers IMO. lol

Toughest road to Super Bowl 50? 49ers have it hardest, Colts easiest

By John Breech | CBSSports.com

August 4, 2015 1:45 pm ET

Literally speaking, the San Francisco 49ers have the shortest road to Super Bowl 50, which is being played at their home stadium in Santa Clara, Calif.

Unfortunately for the 49ers though, shortest road doesn't always mean easiest -- and with the 2015 NFL schedule, it actually means hardest.

Although the Steelers have the most difficult strength of schedule in 2015 -- something we mentioned in February -- the 49ers actually have the hardest path to the playoffs when you look at several other factors: Including the difficulty of a team's first four games and each team's "Vegas Strength of Schedule."

Using those factors, the easiest way to the playoffs is by surviving the pillow fight that is the AFC South. Right now, the Colts are the NFL team with the easiest path to the playoffs and therefore, Super Bowl 50.

So the Colts have the easiest path and the 49ers have the hardest, what about everyone else?

Toughest road to Super Bowl 50

1. 49ers: The 49ers have the most difficult home strength of schedule, Weeks 2-7 are going to be a nightmare and the sod on the field at their two-year old stadium is falling apart for the second straight year. The 49ers will also have to travel more than any other team this season. By Week 11, the team might ask Jim Tomsula to coach in a kilt, just to keep fans entertained. (Strength of schedule difficulty: 3rd hardest. Las Vegas strength of schedule: 3rd hardest. First four games difficulty: 3rd hardest. Avg. rating: 3. Overall difficulty: 1.)

2. Lions: The Lions open up with three of their first four games on the road and the only game that's not on the road is against Peyton Manning in Week 3. Just in case that game is too easy, the Lions play the Seahawks the very next week. (Strength of schedule: 15. Las Vegas strength of schedule: 1. First four games: 2. Avg. rating: 6 Overall difficulty: 2.)

3. Vikings: The Vikings are a trendy pick to make the playoffs and if that's going to happen, it's going to be because of Adrian Peterson. Four of Minnesota's final five games will be out in the cold, which should be perfect weather for giving the ball to Peterson a lot. (Strength of schedule: 12. Las Vegas strength of schedule: 2. First four games: 4. Avg. rating: 6. Overall difficulty: 3.)

4. Chiefs: As you read above, 0-4 teams don't make the playoffs and 0-4 doesn't look completely out of the question for Kansas City. The Chiefs really need to get to their bye week with at least a .500 record and also hope they don't fall apart between Oct. 12 and Nov. 28, a span where they only play one game in Kansas City. (Strength of schedule: T-7. Las Vegas strength of schedule: 11. First four games: 1. Avg. rating: 6.33. Overall difficulty: 4.)

5. Steelers: The Steelers better be leading the AFC North by the the time Thanksgiving rolls around because after Turkey Day, their schedule is brutal. Starting in Week 12, the Steelers play Seattle, Indy, Cincinnati, Denver and Baltimore in consecutive weeks. Oh, and the Seahawks, Bengals and Ravens games are all on the road. (Strength of schedule: 1. Las Vegas strength of schedule: 8. First four games: 11. Avg. rating: 6.67. Overall difficulty: 5.)

6. Seahawks: Since the Seahawks are so good at home, it really doesn't even matter anymore how hard their schedule is. It's almost a lock that they'll go 7-1 or 8-0 at home, which means all Seattle has to do is go 4-4 on the road this year and they'll likely be headed to the playoffs for the fourth straight season. (Strength of schedule: 4. Las Vegas strength of schedule: 7. First four games: 15. Avg. rating: 8.67. Overall difficulty: 6.)

28. Titans: The Titans have a three-game stretch that starts in November that goes Jaguars-Raiders-Jaguars. I'm only mentioning that because every other team in the NFL wishes they had a stretch in November that went Jaguars-Raiders-Jaguars. (Strength of schedule: 26. Las Vegas strength of schedule: 28. First four games: 24. Avg. rating: 26. Overall difficulty: 28.)

29. Buccaneers: The Buccaneers haven't won a home game since December 2013. I'm guessing that changes this year with the Titans and Jaguars both scheduled to visit Raymond James Stadium in 2015. (Strength of schedule: 29. Las Vegas strength of schedule: 26. First four games: 26. Avg. rating: 27. Overall difficulty: 29.)

30. Panthers: The Panthers better come out of their bye week on fire because after it's over, they get the Seahawks, Eagles, Colts and Packers. In a row. Even a Panthers optimist would probably agree that 1-3 could end up being the best case scenario there. (Strength of schedule: 27. Las Vegas strength of schedule: 27. First four games: 29. Avg. rating: 27.67. Overall difficulty: 30.)

31. Texans: Looking for a surprise playoff team in the AFC? The Texans could be it if they have anything that resembles competent quarterback play this season. (Strength of schedule: 30. Las Vegas strength of schedule: 31. First four games: 27. Avg. rating: 29.33. Overall difficulty: 31.)

32. Colts: The Colts might be able to start resting their starters by Week 7. (Strength of schedule: 31. Las Vegas strength of schedule: 32. First four games: 31. Avg. rating: 31.33. Overall difficulty: 32.)

with the way the colts are built -similar to the '04-'08 colts, but maybe even better-, the run defense would  just have to play well for the first 1/2 of most games.  Once you get a double digit lead, most teams slowly begin to veer from their game plans.  So a good/great pass defense I think is more important during the regular season for Indy.

It's the playoffs where you need the run defense.  You have more balanced overall teams in the playoff's, and have to be good in each aspect of all 3 stages of the game.

We were #2 last year on 3rd downs... Buffalo was better with teams converting only on 33.2% of 3rd downs and the Colts were right there at 33.3%.

That is why I said points per game too. Going for broke can help with 3rd down stops but then it can also lead to big plays. Our issue last year was when we played quality teams like the Steelers, Cowboys and Patriots, our D got smoked. That cannot happen. If we were at least competitive in all those games, it would have been easier to swallow.