Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

John Elway to own the Broncos?

oldunclemark

There is talk that with owner Pat Bowlen having to step aside permanently last year...

..and son John arrested lest week..

..that GM John Elway could become the majority owner of the Denver Broncos.

Elway sold his car dealerships in the Denver area for over $100,000,000 a while ago.

I forgot he was an Arena Football owner and apparently did well.

Still, he would have to put together an ownership group. He doesnt have owner caliber money.

It surprised me to read that while Elway is an icon outside of Denver, there is significant anti-Elway

feeling in Denver due to his time as GM. Some don't forgive him for shipping out Tim Tebow.

As they do in almost every NFL town, fans blame the coaches or GM or someone for not winning the

'multiple Super Bowls' they know the franchise 'should have won'. In Denver, many apparently blame Elway.

But there is almost no chance a group headed by John Elway would be refused by NFL owners.

Has anyone of this high a player profile ever been an NFL owner.?

Good idea.?

He's nowhere near the player status of Elway...but Jerry Richardson played for the Colts years back and is the Panthers owner.

I can't think of any other owner with player experience of any note...but I could be overlooking someone.

As the lead in an ownership group, Elway would be a logical successor if Bowlen is ready to unload the Broncos.

He's nowhere near the player status of Elway...but Jerry Richardson played for the Colts years back and is the Panthers owner.

I can't think of any other owner with player experience of any note...but I could be overlooking someone.

As the lead in an ownership group, Elway would be a logical successor if Bowlen is ready to unload the Broncos.

I agree because the NFL wants someone they know and Elway being the 'owner' of the Broncos would be good for

the league in a lot of ways.

I guess that George Halas did play for and own the Bears but I don't really know what caliber player he was. And that's another era.

There is talk that with owner Pat Bowlen having to step aside permanently last year...

Elway sold his car dealerships in the Denver area for over $100,000,000 a while ago.

Still, he would have to put together an ownership group. He doesnt have owner caliber money.

It surprised me to read that while Elway is an icon outside of Denver, there is significant anti-Elway

feeling in Denver due to his time as GM. Some don't forgive him for shipping out Tim Tebow.

As they do in almost every NFL town, fans blame the coaches or GM or someone for not winning the

'multiple Super Bowls' they know the franchise 'should have won'. In Denver, many apparently blame Elway.

But there is almost no chance a group headed by John Elway would be refused by NFL owners.

Good idea.?

Pat only owns 60% of the team, his be.brother owns the other 40. Pat also has 7 kids. I don't see the Bowlen family selling the team

He's nowhere near the player status of Elway...but Jerry Richardson played for the Colts years back and is the Panthers owner.I can't think of any other owner with player experience of any note...but I could be overlooking someone.As the lead in an ownership group, Elway would be a logical successor if Bowlen is ready to unload the Broncos.

George Halas was a Player/Coach/Owner of the Decatur Staleys/Chicago Bears

Good idea.?

My only comparison would be Jordan in the NBA. I can't think of an NFL one.

Elway is beloved in Denver. Tebow? Errrrmmm, no. You got that totally backward IMO. Outside of Denver, some people hold a grudge against Elway for the Tebow thing. In Denver, are you freakin' serious? John Elway could sell his spit by the drum to Denver residents, and make a fortune. 

If he did own a team, my hope would be some punk quarterback , who is the number one pick, didn't want to play for him, and had his daddy demand a trade.

As long as the owner wasn't a drunken lush that was running the team into the ground and putting out vibes that they may move to "wherever" at the drop of a hat. 

The Baltimore Colts were a damn joke, trash organization during that period, and I think you know this. Elway made the right call, is now a legend of the game, and as they say, the rest is history. 

As long as the owner wasn't a drunken lush that was running the team into the ground and putting out vibes that they may move to "wherever" at the drop of a hat.

The Baltimore Colts were a damn joke, trash organization during that period, and I think you know this. Elway made the right call, is now a legend of the game, and as they say, the rest is history.

You are right about them being a damn joke at the time, I can't deny that. However, you can't have every player calling the shots about what team they wanted to go to because it would be chaos, and upset the competitive balance of the NFL. The Indy Colts were a joke in 1997, but Peyton didn't pull an Elway, and went there. He is an upstanding guy, which I can't say about his brother, who pulled the same selfish trick on the Chargers .

If he did own a team, my hope would be some punk quarterback , who is the number one pick, didn't want to play for him, and had his daddy demand a trade.

I thought you had said on the other thread that you were not bitter anymore that you have moved on to embrace the current Ravens team?

You are right about them being a damn joke at the time, I can't deny that. However, you can't have every player calling the shots about what team they wanted to go to because it would be chaos, and upset the competitive balance of the NFL. The Indy Colts were a joke in 1997, but Peyton didn't pull an Elway, and went there. He is an upstanding guy, which I can't say about his brother, who pulled the same selfish trick on the Chargers .

I'm sure if Peyton had gotten a bad vibe from us, he would've pulled out. At the time, we were only 1 year removed from an AFCG appearance, a new, more sensible owner, new general management (a Hall of Fame GM with 5 super bowl teams to his credit) and things were on the upswing.

I don't blame players of their caliber for doing such a thing. It may seem conceited and arrogant, but they only get one shot at it. Sign with the wrong team and your legacy is a wash. I'm actually surprised this doesn't happen more often. Players aren't objects, I give them some wiggle room in regard to such things. 

I thought you had said on the other thread that you were not bitter anymore that you have moved on to embrace the current Ravens team?

I have, but what Elway did was universally wrong, just like Eli Manning. I'm glad that bomb Flacco threw wiped that smirk off his face.

By the way, what's the big deal about being a little bitter. Aren't we all a little bitter about something ? Red Sox fans were very bitter about the Yankees, Indy about the Patriots . Isn't a little bitterness part of being a fan and building rivalries ?

I have, but what Elway did was universally wrong, just like Eli Manning. I'm glad that bomb Flacco threw wiped that smirk off his face.

By the way, what's the big deal about being a little bitter. Aren't we all a little bitter about something ? Red Sox fans were very bitter about the Yankees, Indy about the Patriots . Isn't a little bitterness part of being a fan and building rivalries ?

I don't disagree but you had said you were over it on the other thread that is why I mentioned it.

In general, I am not a bitter person especially about something like sports which really don't matter in the grand scheme of life at all. I find that those type of grudges can eat you alive. There is a saying that bitterness is like drinking poison and expecting the other person(s) you are mad at to die.

I'm sure if Peyton had gotten a bad vibe from us, he would've pulled out. I don't blame players of their caliber for doing such a thing. It may seem conceited and arrogant, but they only get one shot at it. Sign with the wrong team and your legacy is a wash. I'm actually surprised this doesn't happen more often. Players aren't objects, I give them some wiggle room in regard to such things.

If it had happened to you in Denver, you would have had an entirely different perspective on it. Why have a draft if you just want players running around to whatever team they want. But be careful what you ask for , because that wouldn't be the NFL we know today that is extremely successful because of competitive balance.

Also, the bad thing about the Elway deal was how bad he and daddy handled it. It was very similar to The Decision, where it was handled arrogantly , and even involved the New York Yankees.

I don't disagree but you had said you were over it on the other thread that is why I mentioned it.

In general, I am not a bitter person especially about something like sports which really don't matter in the grand scheme of life at all. I find that those type of grudges can eat you alive. There is a saying that bitterness is like drinking poison and expecting the other person(s) you are mad at to die.

There is wrong, and there is bitterness. In the case of the Elways, they were arrogant and wrong. Any bitterness I had left me when Jacoby Jones ran into the end zone. While the bitterness left, it still leaves Elway in the wrong eternally for what he did.

You were never bitter about the Yankees ? If true, you were the exception up there. I'll never forget one of the Patriot Super Bowl parades when your fans were chanting F the Yankees, during a Patriots SB celebration ! This may have been before the Red Sox had won any of their recent World Series.

You were never bitter about the Yankees ? If true, you were the exception up there. I'll never forget one of the Patriot Super Bowl parades when your fans were chanting F the Yankees, during a Patriots SB celebration ! This may have been before the Red Sox had won any of their recent World Series.

I am not sure what you are referencing in terms of the Yankees. They never did anything to the Red Sox except beat us - a lot. I think with Boston being a baseball town the animosity toward the Yankees was more about the rivalry and the NY/Boston thing than anything perceived wrong they did to us. Of course winning 3 World Series this millennium along with achieving baseball history by beating them down 3-0 in the 2004 ALCS goes a long to way to smoothing over any anger. :)

I am not sure what you are referencing in terms of the Yankees. They never did anything to the Red Sox except beat us - a lot. I think with Boston being a baseball town the animosity toward the Yankees was more about the rivalry and the NY/Boston thing than anything perceived wrong they did to us. Of course winning 3 World Series this millennium along with achieving baseball history by beating them down 3-0 in the 2004 ALCS goes a long to way to smoothing over any anger. :)

This was before that, and when Yankee fans hounded you guys with 1918. I've never seen a more bitter fan base than Red Sox fans towards the Yankees.

Sure those events smoothed over some bitterness like the Flacco pass , or the Ravens Super Bowl. There isn't much bitterness when you're winning a lot. That is why Yankee fans aren't bitter much.

This was before that, and when Yankee fans hounded you guys with 1918. I've never seen a more bitter fan base than Red Sox fans towards the Yankees.

Sure those events smoothed over some bitterness like the Flacco pass , or the Ravens Super Bowl. There isn't much bitterness when you're winning a lot. That is why Yankee fans aren't bitter much.

I think you are confusing bitter with dislike. Like I said, there is nothing to be bitter over. The Yankees have been the much better team historically. Most Sox fans I know respect the Yankees history and are/were fans of Derek Jeter and Rivera and Torre as well. Sure, we hated losing to them but I would not characterize it as being bitter but more wanting to win and have some of their legacy which we have done this millennium.

It seems as least from the countless threads on the Elway defection and Baltimore move that I have seen you comment on that there is a deep seated hate and bitterness toward Elway, the Irsays, the politicians. I can't say that I understand all of it as we have never had something similar happen here but all the hate and bitterness seems really over the top to me. I don't get it. Like I said, sports in the grand scheme really don't matter and getting that worked for so long seems unhealthy IMO.

I think you are confusing bitter with dislike. Like I said, there is nothing to be bitter over. The Yankees have been the much better team historically. Most Sox fans I know respect the Yankees history and are/were fans of Derek Jeter and Rivera and Torre as well. Sure, we hated losing to them but I would not characterize it as being bitter but more wanting to win and have some of their legacy which we have done this millennium.

It seems as least from the countless threads on the Elway defection and Baltimore move that I have seen you comment on that there is a deep seated hate and bitterness toward Elway, the Irsays, the politicians. I can't say that I understand all of it as we have never had something similar happen here but all the hate and bitterness seems really over the top to me. I don't get it. Like I said, sports in the grand scheme really don't matter and getting that worked for so long seems unhealthy IMO.

Maybe you are the exception to the rule in RedSox nation, but I've seen a lot of bitter fans over the years like Cubs/Bartman fans.

As far as the Colts, I mainly look at it through a historical prism. Yes, there is sadness and a void over losing the Colts, but I'm very thankful we have the Ravens.

From a historical perspective what Elway did was wrong, the Maryland politicians were incompetent then and now, and Bob Irsay was a poor owner in Baltimore and Indy. Guess what, so is Orioles owner Peter Angelo's. These are facts , and as time passes, it's less about bitterness and more about looking at the historical legacy. If you tell the truth , thirty years later, it's not about bitterness, but about the facts.

I have, but what Elway did was universally wrong, just like Eli Manning.

I disagree. I definitely see why fans don't like it, but there's nothing "wrong" about a player refusing to play for an organization that he dislikes. The Colts, run by Bob Irsay, had some big issues which started at the top (no love lost between you Baltimore fans and Daddy Irsay...) The Chargers had ownership issues, and still do. It's not idea to refuse to play for an organization, and obviously the fans of that team are likely to hate you for the rest of all time, but that doesn't make it wrong.

JMO

Maybe you are the exception to the rule in RedSox nation, but I've seen a lot of bitter fans over the years like Cubs/Bartman fans.

As far as the Colts, I mainly look at it through a historical prism. Yes, there is sadness and a void over losing the Colts, but I'm very thankful we have the Ravens.

From a historical perspective what Elway did was wrong, the Maryland politicians were incompetent then and now, and Bob Irsay was a poor owner in Baltimore and Indy. Guess what, so is Orioles owner Peter Angelo's. These are facts , and as time passes, it's less about bitterness and more about looking at the historical legacy. If you tell the truth , thirty years later, it's not about bitterness, but about the facts.

Like I said, I think you confusing dislike with bitterness. There has never been a Bartman episode in Red Sox/Yankee history. They have always just been the better team until recently. More envy and jealously than bitterness.

I think losing a sports team may be the hardest thing for any fan base. I get the angst. But the bitterness this much time later seems over the top to me.

Like I said, I think you confusing dislike with bitterness. There has never been a Bartman episode in Red Sox/Yankee history. They have always just been the better team until recently. More envy and jealously than bitterness.

I think losing a sports team may be the hardest thing for any fan base. I get the angst. But the bitterness this much time later seems over the top to me.

I think it's a matter of Symantecs between dislike and bitterness. The bitterness card is played a lot to sometimes obscure the facts, or devaluing an

opinion.

I think it's a matter of Symantecs between dislike and bitterness. The bitterness card is played a lot to sometimes obscure the facts, or devaluing an

opinion.

No, the two sentiments are completely different. Bitterness is defined as anger and disappointment at being treated unfairly; resentment.

Dislike means to feel distaste for or hostility toward someone or something.

Again, the Yankees have never mistreated the Sox just beaten them a lot over the history and been the premier baseball franchise on top. Lots of dislike, envy and jealously but no bitterness.

I disagree. I definitely see why fans don't like it, but there's nothing "wrong" about a player refusing to play for an organization that he dislikes. The Colts, run by Bob Irsay, had some big issues which started at the top (no love lost between you Baltimore fans and Daddy Irsay...) The Chargers had ownership issues, and still do. It's not idea to refuse to play for an organization, and obviously the fans of that team are likely to hate you for the rest of all time, but that doesn't make it wrong.

JMO

Peyton could have said Jim Irsay was a bad GM, son of a bad owner, so I'm not going to take a chance on the Colts. To his credit, he went to his assigned team in the draft, like many other players over the years. Why even have a draft, let the players go where they want. If you do, it will be like Major League Baseball where bloated payroll teams like the Yankees or Red Sox scarfed up players because they were ring chasing.

No, the two sentiments are completely different. Bitterness is defined as anger and disappointment at being treated unfairly; resentment.

Dislike means to feel distaste for or hostility toward someone or something.

Again, the Yankees have never mistreated the Sox just beaten them a lot over the history and been the premier baseball franchise on top. Lots of dislike, envy and jealously but no bitterness.

They weren't bitter at Bill Buckner ?

Peyton could have said Jim Irsay was a bad GM, son of a bad owner, so I'm not going to take a chance on the Colts. To his credit, he went to his assigned team in the draft, like many other players over the years. Why even have a draft, let the players go where they want. If you do, it will be like Major League Baseball where bloated payroll teams like the Yankees or Red Sox scarfed up players because they were ring chasing.

I agree with you here. The NFL is the great leveler and part of that process is having the teams that finish the worst getting first shot at the top prospects. If every top prospect have the mindset of Elway and Eli then the NFL would become chaos.

I agree with you here. The NFL is the great leveler and part of that process is having the teams that finish the worst getting first shot at the top prospects. If every top prospect have the mindset of Elway and Eli then the NFL would become chaos.

The irony of it is Elway used Steinbrenner as leverage against the Colts.

They weren't bitter at Bill Buckner ?

You are really out in left field here. Buckner made an honest mistake in the field. He did not intentionally do anything wrong. Sure, the fans were upset but not bitter as again that would indicate that something unfair that was intentional happened and that was not the case.

You are really out in left field here. Buckner made an honest mistake in the field. He did not intentionally do anything wrong. Sure, the fans were upset but not bitter as again that would indicate that something unfair that was intentional happened and that was not the case.

AM, maybe you are not bitter, but there were many Red Sox fans that were. You can't speak for your whole fan base. I've talked to Red Sox fans that were bitter they didn't win that WS. Do you think Cubs fans aren't bitter at Steve Bartman? They hounded that poor guy to death. Buckner was shunned by Red Sox fans until they finally won after all those years