Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agent Targets

OllyDawes

It's too early to tell. Rest of the season to be played (injury potential) plus playoffs, franchise tags, retirement, etc. I'd also expect the Colts to fill needs via the draft first, per usual, since we'll be selecting at/near the top of the order. Although.....this past offseason did give some indication there might be willingness to go into the FA market even though the circumstances were very unusual.

I would be cool to have Vincent Jackson in a colts uniform. But that wont happen.

umm Ben Grubbs, Brent Grimes, Paul Soliai, LaRon Landry or Dashon Goldson

I doubt we'll have enough to afford any of these though

those 2. Landry has been on IR last 2 seasons so hes price has been reduced alot. might as well give him a shot, not like our safety's stay healthy anyways. And Solali is a pure run stuffing NT, wouldnt cost a fortune, but it would cost money to bring him in. However he would complete the Dline. If we could get those 2 guys, it would make our draft much easier and our team much better.

those 2. Landry has been on IR last 2 seasons so hes price has been reduced alot. might as well give him a shot, not like our safety's stay healthy anyways. And Solali is a pure run stuffing NT, wouldnt cost a fortune, but it would cost money to bring him in. However he would complete the Dline. If we could get those 2 guys, it would make our draft much easier and our team much better.

How would it do those two things? It's likely we'd have to lose good players to get them, and even more when one considers we might be paying $6 million a year, or more, for a guy who we have no plans on playing for several years.

Everything we are going to do or aren't going to do starts with Peyton Manning's health. If Manning is healthy our free agent targets are probably going to be guys like Wayne, Saturday, Garcon, and Mathis. If we don't bring Manning back because he can't play we are probably going to look to get younger which means I doubt they would use free agency as they would rather save cap space and invest in the draft and rebuild.

How would it do those two things? It's likely we'd have to lose good players to get them, and even more when one considers we might be paying $6 million a year, or more, for a guy who we have no plans on playing for several years.

people should relax a little over the "$6 million a year...blah blah blah"...we have that much tied up in our back ups this year (a little more than that, actually)...and then that doesnt take into effect the fact that several players will either be gone or restructured before next season. Or would you rather have Collins, Painter and Orlovski instead of Luck, should we take him in the draft?

While i would personally rather trade the #1 if we get it, its not because of the money part, as we will likely be rid of several "dead weight" contracts before next year anyhow.

You have to consider that: Brackett, Diem, Orlovski, Painter, Collins, Gonzo etc will either be gone, or making less (Brackett)...and possibly others, too (Wayne, Hughes, Mathis...although i think we make Mathis a priority to sign)...and then we will likely restructure a few guys, too...we do almost every year. Freeney would be one that i assume that we extend and restructure.

Hey, we could bring back Aromashadude!

Seriously though, we usually do (and imo should) figure out which our free agents we want to go after before looking at other teams.

With that in mind:

Guys I think we should definitely make reasonable efforts to resign:

Pierre

Anderson

Foster

Wheeler

Sims

Tamme

Guys I'd like to bring back, but who might want more money than we can afford:

Wayne

Mathis

Guys who might retire, but who would otherwise want resigned.

Saturday (has he not been off the chain this year?)

I think that We will resign Mathis. Saturday will retire. IMO that is or Saturday. I say we release Brackett or restructure his contract. I think we have a great MLB now with Angerer. With freed up money I say we lay an offer out to Reggie. Give him a couple more years. Say bye bye to Gonzo and Blair white. Keep Orvlosky, can Painter, andmake a ploy for a rookie QB to take over in a few years. OBviously make an effort for Garcon. Sims will be released.

Hey, we could bring back Aromashadude!

Seriously though, we usually do (and imo should) figure out which our free agents we want to go after before looking at other teams.

With that in mind:

Guys I think we should definitely make reasonable efforts to resign:

Pierre

Anderson

Foster

Wheeler

Sims

Tamme

Guys I'd like to bring back, but who might want more money than we can afford:

Wayne

Mathis

Guys who might retire, but who would otherwise want resigned.

Saturday (has he not been off the chain this year?)

I dont think we should resign Foster in my opinion. We have Nevis and he's pretty good. I also definitely want sims and anderson back. Reggie too, if he doesnt ask for too much.

I think it is very important to resign Mathis...when you only have ONE good pass rusher, it just doesnt work...but when you have TWO, it makes for a good pass rush, that the other team cant avoid by just going the other direction.

I also think that is important to resign Garcon. He has done MUCH better this year with catching the ball, and is still very young and just now coming into his own and comfortable with our offense.

Saturday said that he would like to come back, if the team will have him...but i think this is largely in part to the very encouraging news with Peyton the last couple weeks.

Tamme is younger and cheaper than Dallas, and is able to put up the same type of numbers...i would resign him, unless we go a different direction (IE bigger TEs or something)

Anderson/Simms/Wheeler all fit our defense pretty well and arent very expensive to resign.

Diem will likely retire, as he sounded like the 1yr deal he signed w/us this past offseason would likely be his last.

Foster, after his injury, may be best to let walk...great guy and great teammate, but may be best not to invest more money into.

Collins will be gone and Gonzo will likely be gone too, unless we resign him to a cheap/incentive based deal

The main one that may be too expensive and easier to replace, is Wayne. With that said, if he would agree to a reasonable/short term deal, we should keep him around for another 2yrs.