Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I've Got It Narrowed Down to 5-6 People

I think you're going to have to elaborate what you mean when you say that Grigson said "they messed up".....

Because I don't think those words have come from his mouth.    I think that's a terrible mischaracterization.

What mess up?

You think that Grigson doesn't know at all times -- 24/7/365 -- exactly who is on his roster?    The draft didn't end with Grigson looking at everyone in the room saying....   "Oh,  wait!   Did I forget to draft a safety?    Oh, I messed up!    Now, we're going to have to sign a veteran..."

Perhaps a poor choice of words?

I didn't say he specifically said "We messed up". But the fact that he signed Adams after the draft meant that obviously they were supposed to upgrade that position somehow. Perhaps part of it can be blamed on Howell's injury, but the fact that we just released Brown and Landry means that they didn't "get it right" at safety.

What I think happened is he looked at the safeties on the roster after the draft and realized that it would be crazy to roll into the season with Sergio Brown and Landry as the starters. I'm not saying I know the full story, but something definitely went wrong with the safety position.

No. After the draft Grigson said that they "looked what they had in house". At the time that was Landry, Brown, and Howell. Then they signed Adams least minute when they realized they messed up. Not saying we should have gotten Brock Vereen or Terrance Brooks over Mewhort, but what I mean is I don't buy the "faith" they claim to have in players.

Sure, they looked at who they had in house, but the guys they had in house did not keep them from wanting to and trying to draft a safety.  They both specifically said they were looking at safeties, but during the draft, the right match of value and availability never happened and that's why they didn't draft one.  They then said they felt good about who they currently had because...what else were they supposed to say? 

I'm sorry we have to get D-Line help if we want to win a SB.  

Every year it's the same story some mediocre Patriots RB goes for 200 yards and at least 2 or 3 TD's on our terrible run defense.  The Pat's beat us by like 40 points and they don't even use their 2 best offensive players all that much.  Brady and Gronk basically take the day off and watch some mediocre RB look like he's back playing high school ball as he rushes for like 8 yards per carry.  

If we arn't interested in improving our run defense, then honestly we're not interested in winning a SB because we arn't going to get past the Pats like this.  Yes we improved our offense and their secondary took a huge hit.  No one cares.  Because we arn't going to win without at the very least trying to make Tom Brady into more then just a game manager.  

Every year it's the same story some mediocre Patriots RB goes for 200 yards and at least 2 or 3 TD's on our terrible run defense. The Pat's beat us by like 40 points and they don't even use their 2 best offensive players all that much. Brady and Gronk basically take the day off and watch some mediocre RB look like he's back playing high school ball as he rushes for like 8 yards per carry.

If we arn't interested in improving our run defense, then honestly we're not interested in winning a SB because we arn't going to get past the Pats like this. Yes we improved our offense and their secondary took a huge hit. No one cares. Because we arn't going to win without at the very least trying to make Tom Brady into more then just a game manager.

its the scheme, our personnel match up very well IMO. Its the fact that we consistently get out coached and out prepared.

Every year it's the same story some mediocre Patriots RB goes for 200 yards and at least 2 or 3 TD's on our terrible run defense.  The Pat's beat us by like 40 points and they don't even use their 2 best offensive players all that much.  Brady and Gronk basically take the day off and watch some mediocre RB look like he's back playing high school ball as he rushes for like 8 yards per carry.  

If we arn't interested in improving our run defense, then honestly we're not interested in winning a SB because we arn't going to get past the Pats like this.  Yes we improved our offense and their secondary took a huge hit.  No one cares.  Because we arn't going to win without at the very least trying to make Tom Brady into more then just a game manager.  

If you re-read what you just wrote, and then look at the rest of our 2014 season, you will quickly conclude that we have a chronic run D issue....against the Pats.  Test this with a quick review of how we played the run against much more powerful running teams (ie. Cowboys).  We don't have a run D issue, we have coaching issue to overcome.  

It is little things, and coaching is all about little things.

If you re-read what you just wrote, and then look at the rest of our 2014 season, you will quickly conclude that we have a chronic run D issue....against the Pats.  Test this with a quick review of how we played the run against much more powerful running teams (ie. Cowboys).  We don't have a run D issue, we have coaching issue to overcome.  

It is little things, and coaching is all about little things.

Even if the run D was good last year, we lost RJF and Redding so I doubt it stays the same. Plus we have no playmakers on the line besides mathis. At some point the Colts are going to have to get a stud on the DL. We won't win forever with "Solid" guys.

Same thing can be said at Safety.

I didn't say he specifically said "We messed up". But the fact that he signed Adams after the draft meant that obviously they were supposed to upgrade that position somehow. Perhaps part of it can be blamed on Howell's injury, but the fact that we just released Brown and Landry means that they didn't "get it right" at safety.

What I think happened is he looked at the safeties on the roster after the draft and realized that it would be crazy to roll into the season with Sergio Brown and Landry as the starters. I'm not saying I know the full story, but something definitely went wrong with the safety position.

Well....

We're covering a huge amount of time here.     You've now covered the period from last early May (right after the draft) to right now...   just before the next draft.    A span of more than 11 months.

Yes,  we don't have the safety position right.    Yes, Landry turned out to be a bust for us.    Brown was a back-up and we let him leave.

All I'm saying is Grigson knew where things stood at all times.   He added Adams last summer.   He added Lowery this free agency period.     Adams worked out better than expected.    We have to hope that Lowery does too.

I expect that Grigson will try to draft a safety in the first three rounds of the draft.   But, drafting where we are,  that's somewhat out of his control.    If the guys he likes are gone,  then I hope he doesn't reach badly.

Didn't mean to jump on you.    I just thought the "Grigson screwed up" was not the best way to phrase it.   A team's roster is always changing because no team gets everything perfect.    Not even the team that eventually wins the Super Bowl.