Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pats Have A New CB

Safety over the top is for deep plays right given Hilton's blazing speed? Pretty sure Hilton was never open underneath with Arrington on him.

Having safety help over the top changes the way the corner covers his man. Good scheme, and Arrington did his job well. But he didn't shut Hilton down, nor can he.

Having safety help over the top changes the way the corner covers his man. Good scheme, and Arrington did his job well. But he didn't shut Hilton down, nor can he.

Yeah, it was a curious move by Bill as most of us expected Revis on Hilton but Arrington was better at staying with Hilton with safety help for the deep help given his speed. Arrington covered Hilton in both games and did a fantastic job yet in the Super Bowl he was torched by Matthews who was a much bigger receiver than Hilton which created more of a mismatch. Bill had to eventually bench Arrington and move Browner to cover Matthews to match up with the size.

Yeah, it was a curious move by Bill as most of us expected Revis on Hilton but Arrington was better at staying with Hilton with safety help for the deep help given his speed. Arrington covered Hilton in both games and did a fantastic job yet in the Super Bowl he was torched by Matthews who was a much bigger receiver than Hilton which created more of a mismatch. Bill had to eventually bench Arrington and move Browner to cover Matthews to match up with the size.

What made it so smart is that it allowed Revis to play single coverage elsewhere, and he erased young Donte Moncrief. Meanwhile, a QB is trained to go away from bracket coverage, so whether Arrington and the safety (lots of McCourty) actually had Hilton covered or not didn't matter as much as the fact that they were both within ten yards of him almost every play. 

Our answer should have been to run the ball and get the TEs involved. It was proved in the regular season that Browner can't cover Fleener, but we were never able to sustain anything long enough to really work that matchup in the playoff game. If we had been able to get it going in either or both of those aspects, it might have changed the coverage on Hilton and Moncrief.

Either way, with no Revis, I'm not sure they can afford to bracket Hilton anymore. Plus, Andre Johnson ought to be a better complement.

What made it so smart is that it allowed Revis to play single coverage elsewhere, and he erased young Donte Moncrief. Meanwhile, a QB is trained to go away from bracket coverage, so whether Arrington and the safety (lots of McCourty) actually had Hilton covered or not didn't matter as much as the fact that they were both within ten yards of him almost every play. 

Our answer should have been to run the ball and get the TEs involved. It was proved in the regular season that Browner can't cover Fleener, but we were never able to sustain anything long enough to really work that matchup in the playoff game. If we had been able to get it going in either or both of those aspects, it might have changed the coverage on Hilton and Moncrief.

Either way, with no Revis, I'm not sure they can afford to bracket Hilton anymore. Plus, Andre Johnson ought to be a better complement.

Yeah, both match ups were fascinating. Revis covered Reggie the first game and then Moncrief the playoff game. I also thinks it speaks to the fact that Bill did not trust Revis alone on Hilton with good reason as Steve Smith had a very good day vs him in the post-season, possibly Revis' worst game of the year.

I have no idea about next year until Bill settles on his CBs. I am encouraged by the young talent we already have in Bulter, Dennard and Ryan but I am glad Bill is bringing in some other experienced guys to create a competitive environment so we have a solid secondary back there. I do think that if the Colts are not able to establish some type of run game to keep the Pats defense honest than the loss of Revis won't matter that much and of course the Colts D has to be able to keep the Pats from scoring in the 40s and controlling ToP with the run game.

Just thinking about that game still has me wanting to puke. It's not even worth saying things like "our answer should have been...etc etc ." Pagano and staff were as bad as Dungy and crew were when Pitt came in as 11 point underdogs and roasted our coulees around 10 years ago. Difference was Dungy had an excuse.

Never , ever ... never have I seen one coaching staff so dominate another as I did this January. 

Just thinking about that game still has me wanting to puke. It's not even worth saying things like "our answer should have been...etc etc ." Pagano and staff were as bad as Dungy and crew were when Pitt came in as 11 point underdogs and roasted our coulees around 10 years ago. Difference was Dungy had an excuse.

Never , ever ... never have I seen one coaching staff so dominate another as I did this January. 

Meh. Bad game, but they happen. I'm sure you saw the previous Super Bowl.

Against the Pats, the offensive execution was bad from the beginning, and then when the defense should have been rewarded for an early stop, Cribbs gave the ball back. The DL played slow. Everyone missed tackles. 

Just saying, it wasn't all coaching. 

Meh. Bad game, but they happen. I'm sure you saw the previous Super Bowl.

Against the Pats, the offensive execution was bad from the beginning, and then when the defense should have been rewarded for an early stop, Cribbs gave the ball back. The DL played slow. Everyone missed tackles. 

Just saying, it wasn't all coaching. 

Didn't mean to say it was all coaching as I'm sure it sounded that way. Yes .. you had about 40 guys that had stinky games too. 

Not to pile on here, but I really don't think Bill and company have any fear about going up against Pagano and company. Every time they have faced off the games have not been competitive and to your point that falls directly on the coaching. One bad game you can blame on the players but 4?

Not to pile on here, but I really don't think Bill and company have any fear about going up against Pagano and company. Every time they have faced off the games have not been competitive and to your point that falls directly on the coaching. One bad game you can blame on the players but 4?

Nothing is forever.