Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are we repeating mistakes of the past?

chad72

Are we repeating mistakes of the past and focusing more on the offensive side of the ball hoping that our D will have an opportunistic run to win the SB once?

The core that we seem to be focused on seems to be our offensive core of Luck, Hilton, our 2 TEs and Castanzo for the future contracts, all of which I feel are dictating our long term strategy on contracts. While it is important to be able to score points to stay competitive in this pass happy league, are we going down the Star Wars numbers path again?

The Patriots' plethora of SBs came when their front 7 and secondary made plays during their early SBs and once they paid up for their secondary again, the SB returned. Seahawks seem to be more content providing Wilson mediocre wide outs while focusing on retaining their defensive prowess. However, lost in the shuffle is the fact that they hit on plenty of their defensive draft picks in addition to signing 2 key pieces for their DL in Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril.

Should we have focused on the DL first before going down the offensive firepower route? We need some very good defensive draft picks to sustain our long term strategy. Thoughts?

The picks of Luck, Hilton and the two TEs was needed to have a starting offensive unit to get started three seasons ago. All of those four picks was a must at the time. Yes we need some defensive picks to better the defense but to call or have an opinion of are we repeating mistakes of the past, no. Grigson couldn't even field an offense the first year with the release of the players that were let go.

I agree, I love defense and you need it in this league. I hate to say this but I think our offense will be so good and put so much pressure on the other team that their game plan may have to change and we may actually be able to win without a stout defense like that. That offense is gonna put soooo much pressure on any team. It already has without gore, johnson. I wanna make defensive moves bad tho...

Are we repeating mistakes of the past and focusing more on the offensive side of the ball hoping that our D will have an opportunistic run to win the SB once?

The core that we seem to be focused on seems to be our offensive core of Luck, Hilton, our 2 TEs and Castanzo for the future contracts, all of which I feel are dictating our long term strategy on contracts. While it is important to be able to score points to stay competitive in this pass happy league, are we going down the Star Wars numbers path again?

The Patriots' plethora of SBs came when their front 7 and secondary made plays during their early SBs and once they paid up for their secondary again, the SB returned. Seahawks seem to be more content providing Wilson mediocre wide outs while focusing on retaining their defensive prowess. However, lost in the shuffle is the fact that they hit on plenty of their defensive draft picks in addition to signing 2 key pieces for their DL in Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril.

Should we have focused on the DL first before going down the offensive firepower route? We need some very good defensive draft picks to sustain our long term strategy. Thoughts?

Partly right. You have to give a QB like Luck lots of targets and support. I like the Gore signing and I'm OK with the Andre Johnson signing. Luck has to be given options with receivers and in order to take the offense to the next level we have to have a running game that is legitimate. I think there's a lot of defensive coordinators in the AFC right now that are wondering how they are going to stop the Colts offense next year.

Agree, our defense needs attention. Especially up the middle. Is it "repeating a mistake". Yet to be seen. There's still time.

I'm not sure at this point.     But it scares the heck out of me.   Polians ignore the defense strategy was great for winning games, but bad for winning in the playoffs.   Manning did a great job as the defense.    If he could lead the offense to some quick early scores, the other team would go away from their running game and Freeney could lead the rush.   In the playoffs, against better defenses, it is not as easy to score quickly.  

I think the Redding  loss will hurt.    We need the size.   

I think we did a good job bringing in Langford and Cole, I'd like Grigson to sign another D lineman, and they add more defensive players in the draft, and go safety Rpund 1 or 2.

Unfortunately, outside of Landon Collins out of Alabama, the safety class is nothing worthy of a 1st or 2nd round pick.

Threads like this seem very premature.  FA isn't over and even if it were the colts have picked up two defensive players.  As far as the offensive pickups, it looks to me like the FO has decided to augment the young core they drafted (Luck, Hilton, Fleener, Allen, Castonzo) with some vet plug-in guys.  This frees up Grigs to have a defense heavy draft that will start our young core on that side of the ball.  I think the moves this year have been pretty good actually.

I've never understood the "we should address XX before anything else".  Granted, Grigson is only one person, but I don't believe for a second that he's the only one making phone calls to player agents.  They can reach out to multiple players at a time so no, I don't think there's a specific position group that should be addressed before addressing other position groups.

Even with all that aside, if you look back carefully at the defense last year, when the offense was productive and able to maintain drives, the defense, more often than not, played extremely well.  They were looking like a top 5/10 defense during the first 1/3-1/2 of the year, and it was during that time that they were leading the league in Time of Possession by a pretty good margin.  The offense was able to maintain drives and methodically move the ball down the field.  This kept the defense very rested, and they were able to get a lot more 3 and outs. 

IMO, our defense feeds off the offense far more than the offense feeds off the defense. 

actually they were a top 10 defense for the first part of the year. then they ran into a road block in pittsburgh and it all fell apart. their weakness had been shown and that was running the ball down the colts throats. that is why i think we should sign Nick Fairly or Vince Wilfork. honestly we only need one more DLineman and a safety and we will look fine come draft time. Wilfork on the line and Kendrick Lewis on the other side of Adams at safety i think would be two good pick ups.