Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL investigation report on Ray Rice case released

snkdy

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12138032/nfl-did-not-previously-see-ray-rice-elevator-video-according-mueller-report

"We found no evidence that anyone at the NFL had or saw the in-elevator video before it was publicly shown. We also found no evidence that a woman at the NFL acknowledged receipt of that video in a voicemail message on April 9, 2014," the report said.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12138032/nfl-did-not-previously-see-ray-rice-elevator-video-according-mueller-report

"We found no evidence that anyone at the NFL had or saw the in-elevator video before it was publicly shown. We also found no evidence that a woman at the NFL acknowledged receipt of that video in a voicemail message on April 9, 2014," the report said.

Ummmm.....  Mueller is going to have to stand in front of reporters and cameras and take lots of questions to explain that one.

There was a voice on a tape.   Quotes were heard and noted.    And Mueller and his people couldn't figure it out?!?

Sorry,  but this doesn't feel over to me at all.  

Ummmm.....  Mueller is going to have to stand in front of reporters and cameras and take lots of questions to explain that one.

There was a voice on a tape.   Quotes were heard and noted.    And Mueller and his people couldn't figure it out?!?

A voice on a tape, but from where did the call originate? Who was the voice? I'm sure there are a lot of questions that should still be answered, but that voice needs to be verified.

A NFL investigation found nothing wrong with what the NFL did? Color me shocked!

Always good to hire the firm that the president of the Ravens worked at for over 30 years.

No chance of any bias in this investigation.

It seems you have your own fair share of bias to me.

Since it's not the answer the public wanted, there must have been a cover up.  :bored:

To me, I always wanted the voicemail clarified.  I get that there was a tape of it, but I think that if people are so willing to question the NFL's handling of the Rice incident, they should be willing to question the validity of that tape.  So when an independent investigator is hired and finds no evidence that the voicemail was received, it's incumbent on whoever originated that to prove it was in fact received.  I'm talking names, the ID of the origination of the call and the ID of the recipient and receiving phone number.  Put those people in the spotlight and question them.

Also, I think the idea that Mueller was on the take and the NFL buried this is without any evidence whatsoever.  People are entitled to their opinions, but assuming the NFL buried this and that Mueller would risk destroying his reputation for the NFL is chasing a ghost.  Could that all have happened?  I suppose, but you've got to put on your conspiracy theorist hat to get to that conclusion.  And besides, does it really matter if the NFL had the tape before it went public?  We all knew Rice hit his wife in an elevator.  Rice told Goodell as much.  What really comes out of this is something we all know - that the league could have handled this situation better, which is exactly what the report said.  They will learn from it as they should, but lay it to rest already.

Since it's not the answer the public wanted, there must have been a cover up.  :bored:

To me, I always wanted the voicemail clarified.  I get that there was a tape of it, but I think that if people are so willing to question the NFL's handling of the Rice incident, they should be willing to question the validity of that tape.  So when an independent investigator is hired and finds no evidence that the voicemail was received, it's incumbent on whoever originated that to prove it was in fact received.  I'm talking names, the ID of the origination of the call and the ID of the recipient and receiving phone number.  Put those people in the spotlight and question them.

Also, I think the idea that Mueller was on the take and the NFL buried this is without any evidence whatsoever.  People are entitled to their opinions, but assuming the NFL buried this and that Mueller would risk destroying his reputation for the NFL is chasing a ghost.  Could that all have happened?  I suppose, but you've got to put on your conspiracy theorist hat to get to that conclusion.  And besides, does it really matter if the NFL had the tape before it went public?  We all knew Rice hit his wife in an elevator.  Rice told Goodell as much.  What really comes out of this is something we all know - that the league could have handled this situation better, which is exactly what the report said.  They will learn from it as they should, but lay it to rest already.

It's like I wrote this. I had to double check... +1000

Especially about the voicemail. Can we get a name for the woman who was on the call? Do we have a name for the person she was speaking with? 

It's confirmation bias. "I'll accept as fact whatever you tell me, so long as it agrees with what I already believe. No further scrutiny required."

And like you said, it doesn't really matter. The initial suspension was inadequate, whether he saw the video or not. The handling of the situation after the video came out was a mess. Goodell messed up, the league messed up... but the real problem is that Ray Rice hit his fiance in an elevator. That point seems to have been buried just as much as the supposed phone call...

I'll agree that it's totally possible that the NFL disappeared this phone call. I just don't think it's very likely.

It's like I wrote this. I had to double check... +1000

Especially about the voicemail. Can we get a name for the woman who was on the call? Do we have a name for the person she was speaking with? 

It's confirmation bias. "I'll accept as fact whatever you tell me, so long as it agrees with what I already believe. No further scrutiny required."

And like you said, it doesn't really matter. The initial suspension was inadequate, whether he saw the video or not. The handling of the situation after the video came out was a mess. Goodell messed up, the league messed up... but the real problem is that Ray Rice hit his fiance in an elevator. That point seems to have been buried just as much as the supposed phone call...

I'll agree that it's totally possible that the NFL disappeared this phone call. I just don't think it's very likely.

Yeah, people have just been going nuts when it comes to their opinions regarding every miniscule action taken by the NFL.  It's become more about everything that happens off the field it seems, like everyone forgets that in the long run, the NFL an entertainment business who's product is a game.  The problems the NFL is facing is no different than the problems any other big corporate entity faces.  I get tehy are in a position of power and can make societal impacts, but so can other corporate conglomerates such as Microsoft, Disney, etc.  I mean, Disney could have an even bigger impact on society and children in general than the NFL.  Yet, did anyone make this big of a stink when the 35 employees who worked at Disney got busted in sting operations for molesting kids back in July of this year?  Now I'm not going to make the claim that domestic violence is worse than the child molestation or vice versa.  They're both so bad that, comparing them is pointless.  So you'd think that, with the level of outrage over the NFL regarding the handful of incidents for domestic violence, there would be a similar response for child molestation at disney.  But no, it's not even close.  Oh and by the way, the number of arrests in July rose to 132 as of August.  But the NFL's the only one who doesn't have it's blank together...

I guess it would just be nice to see people's opinions and biases come with an open mind.  I'm cool if someone believes the video evidence, but I don't get it when it's insisted upon without question when a 3rd party who spent the better part of 4 months going through all the emails, records, and papers says "Sorry, but there's just nothing here" just because they were hired by the NFL.  I mean, what's the alternative?  If they don't investigate, they lose.  If they do, then no one will believe the results are genuine.  Let the NFLPA investigate and you're exposing confidential information to people who can use it to your detriment.  Lose-lose-lose.

Yeah, people have just been going nuts when it comes to their opinions regarding every miniscule action taken by the NFL. It's become more about everything that happens off the field it seems, like everyone forgets that in the long run, the NFL an entertainment business who's product is a game. The problems the NFL is facing is no different than the problems any other big corporate entity faces. I get tehy are in a position of power and can make societal impacts, but so can other corporate conglomerates such as Microsoft, Disney, etc. I mean, Disney could have an even bigger impact on society and children in general than the NFL. Yet, did anyone make this big of a stink when the 35 employees who worked at Disney got busted in sting operations for molesting kids back in July of this year? Now I'm not going to make the claim that domestic violence is worse than the child molestation or vice versa. They're both so bad that, comparing them is pointless. So you'd think that, with the level of outrage over the NFL regarding the handful of incidents for domestic violence, there would be a similar response for child molestation at disney. But no, it's not even close. Oh and by the way, the number of arrests in July rose to 132 as of August. But the NFL's the only one who doesn't have it's blank together...

I guess it would just be nice to see people's opinions and biases come with an open mind. I'm cool if someone believes the video evidence, but I don't get it when it's insisted upon without question when a 3rd party who spent the better part of 4 months going through all the emails, records, and papers says "Sorry, but there's just nothing here" just because they were hired by the NFL. I mean, what's the alternative? If they don't investigate, they lose. If they do, then no one will believe the results are genuine. Let the NFLPA investigate and you're exposing confidential information to people who can use it to your detriment. Lose-lose-lose.

I'm not a conspiracy guy, but has a public internal investigation, in the history of public internal investigations, ever revealed anything new lol?

I'm not a conspiracy guy, but has a public internal investigation, in the history of public internal investigations, ever revealed anything new lol?

All the time.  Just recently GM fired a whole mess of employees including an executive for incompetence after an internal investigation for a faulty ignition switch.  Best Buy's CEO resigned after an internal investigation into his personal conduct.  It's ultimately about getting bad apples out before it gets worse.  The Owners have an absolute interest in making sure Goodell isn't hiding anything because if it got worse, buryinig it now and having it dug up later would hit the pockets a lot harder than if they just got the truth out now and fired him if necessary.  This isn't about Goodell saving his butt - he's expendable.  This is about the owners doing what it can to save theirs.

All the time. Just recently GM fired a whole mess of employees including an executive for incompetence after an internal investigation for a faulty ignition switch. Best Buy's CEO resigned after an internal investigation into his personal conduct. It's ultimately about getting bad apples out before it gets worse. The Owners have an absolute interest in making sure Goodell isn't hiding anything because if it got worse, buryinig it now and having it dug up later would hit the pockets a lot harder than if they just got the truth out now and fired him if necessary. This isn't about Goodell saving his butt - he's expendable. This is about the owners doing what it can to save theirs.

See above, but good examples.

Anybody can make anything up...Who said there was a voice on tape..? Why did you automatically believe the accuser

...I never believed Goddell saw that video and then claimed he didnt..that never made any sense..He likes to suspend folks

..and I never understood (and still don't) why folks are upset with Goddell..

as far as we know..he didn't beat anybody's wife and he didn't give Rice a pass like the law did

The former head of the FBI isn't going to cover for the NFL..

If he was..why take the case at all..he didn't have to..

The report is extremely complete. We have to accept that Goddell did not lie.

Anybody can make anything up...Who said there was a voice on tape..? Why did you automatically believe the accuser

...I never believed Goddell saw that video and then claimed he didnt..that never made any sense..He likes to suspend folks

..and I never understood (and still don't) why folks are upset with Goddell..

as far as we know..he didn't beat anybody's wife and he didn't give Rice a pass like the law did

First,  I too don't believe Goodell saw a tape.   Never claimed he did.    But I believe a tape was sent and viewed by someone at the NFL.

The person who heard the audio tape was a reporter for the associated press.   A conversation between law enforcement and the person who received and viewed the tape that was recorded.

As for being mad at Goodell....   he's had the worst year of any commissioner in any sport -- ever.    He's gotten everything wrong.

Rice,  Peterson,  Hardy,  relations with the players.   The only people who trust Goodell are his fellow owners and that's because he makes them huge money.    But as for running the league,  he's been a spectacular failure this year.

It's unprecedented in modern sports.

But you have to accept that every single female employee was interviewed and their phones checked and no one got such a call.

anyone can say anything...

And the issue is Ray Rice..and players beating their wives..

we buried the story because of theories about someone who had nothing to do with it.

The issue is criminal behavior of NFL players and why their union and their membership (and many fans) don't seem to care

The former head of the FBI isn't going to cover for the NFL..

If he was..why take the case at all..he didn't have to..

The report is extremely complete. We have to accept that Goddell did not lie.

He gave rice a two game suspension for punching his girlfriend in the face. Thats about as close to a free pass as you can get

Edit

Quoted wrong post, but you can figure it out I'm sure

I agree 'J' That is close to a free pass.

But the law gave him zero ;penalty...and if Ray and his wife came into your office and she begged you not to suspend her man...because it was 'her' fault...what would you have done.?

I understand why Goddell did what he did....he's not the commisioner of wide beating..his job is football.

He wanted to get rid of the case...to his detriment

But I still don't know why the issue is him and why not how the law and the public treat domestic abuse..

Ray's probably still beating his wife

I agree 'J' That is close to a free pass.

But the law gave him zero ;penalty...and if Ray and his wife came into your office and she begged you not to suspend her man...because it was 'her' fault...what would you have done.?

I understand why Goddell did what he did....he's not the commisioner of wide beating..his job is football.

He wanted to get rid of the case...to his detriment

But I still don't know why the issue is him and why not how the law and the public treat domestic abuse..

Ray's probably still beating his wife

He is getting the most back lash for his waffling on his punishments. I have no issue with goodell and i agree the law in NJ let his wife down. But her pleas should have had no effect on the punishment handed down by the league. He should have known that two games was going to enrage the public

He is getting the most back lash for his waffling on his punishments. I have no issue with goodell and i agree the law in NJ let his wife down. But her pleas should have had no effect on the punishment handed down by the league. He should have known that two games was going to enrage the public

True..but 'should have' is hindsight..

I always try to put things into the context of 'what would I have done'

I would have tried to compromise between the 'no suspenion' the victim asked for and the year suspension...I (and he) probably wanted to give Ray..Remember..this is the 'enforcer' the guy who likes to suspend folks..

..If his wife (the victim) comes to my office and begs me not to suspend her man...I just know I would have been swayed.