Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My yearly rant about the NFL

theanarchist

Before I go into my complaints let me first say that I've been watching the NFL as far back as my memory banks go. Watching the NFL, like in a lot of homes in America, was a Sunday afternoon tradition. Being from the Midwest where we didn't have a true hometown team, the closest team being the Vikings or the Bears, my brothers and I were split between teams. I have 4 brothers and each one of us followed a different team. Bears, Green Bay, Denver and myself I became a Colts fan. I remember watching the team play Oakland in a playoff OT game that would become known as the Ghost to the post game. I was hooked.

It was difficult to follow the team since the team was originally in Baltimore, was very rarely on TV. But I stayed loyal despite following and having a soft spot for other players and teams that were more often on national TV. In 1998 I was able to start watching almost every game with the DIRECTV Sunday ticket. I've stated several times of the last few years how lucky I've been to be able to watch my favorite team during a time when the team has had so much success. Having nearly 40 years of NFL memories I have to admit that the last few seasons have been very frustrating for me to watch. Here's why:

It seems like over the last handful of seasons the NFL has become something that I would avoid watching if it had nothing to do with the Colts. That was never true prior to that point. The NFL has become a glamour show, a Hollywood production. Halftime and Super Bowl pre games have become an event that have been so over done that it borders on the ridiculous. Now, the trend is that the camera crew goes into the post game locker room and broadcasts post game speeches and celebrations by the winning teams. In the frame its hard to miss the taj mahal like dressing rooms that the players are using these days. Money is forked over hand over fist by the fans and the public in these communities in order to build these palaces that these teams use. Something just doesn't sit right with me. First of all, leave the cameras in the hallway, they don't belong in the dressing rooms. What's said and done in there should remain in there and I'm sure coaches and players don't get to truly say what they want because there is a camera recording the whole thing.

The rules have been slanted in favor of the offense, especially the passing game. Many games, especially the playoffs, turn on just a few plays each game.unfortunately the NFL fails to live up to giving the fans pure product. One that everyone can believe in. Each playoff season I watch as the officials invariably enforce the rules differently than they did in the regular season and so many times a call is blown that costs a team in a big way, quite possibly costing them the game. Since the NFL has become a game that games are won and lost on the turn of just a few plays either way this cannot be disputed. It has to change.

I miss the days of teams playing in the elements, playing because they love the game, they aren't scripting their next interview and dressing for games in places that are more like showpieces than a locker room. It's become a Hollywood job. Rant over

Now, GO COLTS!

Before I go into my complaints let me first say that I've been watching the NFL as far back as my memory banks go. Watching the NFL, like in a lot of homes in America, was a Sunday afternoon tradition. Being from the Midwest where we didn't have a true hometown team, the closest team being the Vikings or the Bears, my brothers and I were split between teams. I have 4 brothers and each one of us followed a different team. Bears, Green Bay, Denver and myself I became a Colts fan. I remember watching the team play Oakland in a playoff OT game that would become known as the Ghost to the post game. I was hooked.

It was difficult to follow the team since the team was originally in Baltimore, was very rarely on TV. But I stayed loyal despite following and having a soft spot for other players and teams that were more often on national TV. In 1998 I was able to start watching almost every game with the DIRECTV Sunday ticket. I've stated several times of the last few years how lucky I've been to be able to watch my favorite team during a time when the team has had so much success. Having nearly 40 years of NFL memories I have to admit that the last few seasons have been very frustrating for me to watch. Here's why:

It seems like over the last handful of seasons the NFL has become something that I would avoid watching if it had nothing to do with the Colts. That was never true prior to that point. The NFL has become a glamour show, a Hollywood production. Halftime and Super Bowl pre games have become an event that have been so over done that it borders on the ridiculous. Now, the trend is that the camera crew goes into the post game locker room and broadcasts post game speeches and celebrations by the winning teams. In the frame its hard to miss the taj mahal like dressing rooms that the players are using these days. Money is forked over hand over fist by the fans and the public in these communities in order to build these palaces that these teams use. Something just doesn't sit right with me. First of all, leave the cameras in the hallway, they don't belong in the dressing rooms. What's said and done in there should remain in there and I'm sure coaches and players don't get to truly say what they want because there is a camera recording the whole thing.

The rules have been slanted in favor of the offense, especially the passing game. Many games, especially the playoffs, turn on just a few plays each game.unfortunately the NFL fails to live up to giving the fans pure product. One that everyone can believe in. Each playoff season I watch as the officials invariably enforce the rules differently than they did in the regular season and so many times a call is blown that costs a team in a big way, quite possibly costing them the game. Since the NFL has become a game that games are won and lost on the turn of just a few plays either way this cannot be disputed. It has to change.

I miss the days of teams playing in the elements, playing because they love the game, they aren't scripting their next interview and dressing for games in places that are more like showpieces than a locker room. It's become a Hollywood job. Rant over

Now, GO COLTS!

I completely agree.  It's because so much money started funneling into the sport that it's now a marketing show.  They are having superstars pay to sing at halftime of the superbowl.  Give me a break.  I work in radio so I see enough of the showmanship/show me the money/pay to play crap as it is.   I agree that it's become less about a sport and more about selling product and showcasing the beautiful.

We watched a sports news show with Dez Bryant in his home awhile back.  They wanted to know something the typical fan wouldn't know about him.  He said, "People probably wouldn't know this.  But, I like rap and hip hop.  And, I have a huge collection of tennis shoes."  REALLY?  WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED?????  And this is sporting news?  This is the focus?

I can go backstage at a concert to see someone who is an a** and doesn't really care about their trade and the typical fan.  Unfortunately, music/tv/movies have all filtered over to the NFL and other sports for that matter.  I miss the old days of watching the game with less glitter, and laying on the floor playing with the electronic NFL air-operated game with the tiny plastic football that popped out when the little players toppled over.

The thing about the rant may be true but the NFL is as popular as it's ever been. I don't know if that's good or bad? The main thing I have noticed is the game has changed from brute force to pure talent. As far as the glitter that has evolved in all sports in general.

CC1 - It has evolved in all sports.  I don't know if it's necessarily good or bad either.  Just seems less about the sport and more about the merchandising.  And, here I work in advertising....HA!  

Braveheart - just because something is irritating doesn't mean you stop participating in something you love all together.  There are a lot of things at work that irritate me, but I still drag my butt in every day....

The NFL and every other sport needs to ban the ridiculous interviews between halves and post game. Regardless of the sport the questions are always the same, "what's it going to take to come back or hold on to yourlead"?, "What were you feeling when you..."?,How will you handle their so and so in the second half"? You KNOW every coach wants to strangle those people with the canned questions!! The silliest is after a horse race when some poor * is give the task to ride along side the winner and ask "what were you feeling when you knew you had won"? I would love it if Woody Hayes and Schembeckler where in the middle of a cut throat game and have one of those *s get in the face of Woody Hayes and ask "How does it feel to be losing coach"? Then BANG,right in the kisser!

The NFL and every other sport needs to ban the ridiculous interviews between halves and post game. Regardless of the sport the questions are always the same, "what's it going to take to come back or hold on to yourlead"?, "What were you feeling when you..."?,How will you handle their so and so in the second half"? You KNOW every coach wants to strangle those people with the canned questions!! The silliest is after a horse race when some poor * is give the task to ride along side the winner and ask "what were you feeling when you knew you had won"? I would love it if Woody Hayes and Schembeckler where in the middle of a cut throat game and have one of those *s get in the face of Woody Hayes and ask "How does it feel to be losing coach"? Then BANG,right in the kisser!

I hate that too!  And, you can see from the coaches body language and facial expressions that they think it's ridiculous.  And, yet, the stupid questions still flow.  I love when they ask one coach what they think the other team was thinking or how they felt and start pondering the philosophy of why the game is going the way that it is.  SHUT UP!  Let them go coach and deal with their players!!!!  URGH!

CC1 - It has evolved in all sports.  I don't know if it's necessarily good or bad either.  Just seems less about the sport and more about the merchandising.  And, here I work in advertising....HA!  

Braveheart - just because something is irritating doesn't mean you stop participating in something you love all together.  There are a lot of things at work that irritate me, but I still drag my butt in every day....

Work and play. Too different things entirely. If I hated the NFL as much as the OP, why would I watch it? Doesn't add up.

If it irritates you so much, stop watching.

As I eluded to in my post, I still watch the NFL because I love the Colts. If I were not a Colts fan I really don't think I would be watching it much at all. I used to love to watch even if the Colts were not playing. Now, not so much and I think it has to do with what I find irritating about how things have evolved with the NFL.

We can see the celebrity NFL diva going back to the 1960's with Namath and his fur coat, and I'm sure well before him. Egos and celebrity have always been a part of this sport, only in the past, money wasn't as big of a factor as it is now. 

If you truly love the game, the trick is to turn a blind eye to all the hoopla, grandeur, and hyperbole. Hit the mute button when the ditzy blond in leather pants starts singing the Sunday Night Football intro theme song. Go get a snack or a smoke while Beyonce is diminishing all female singers by doing what female entertainers are expected to do; Strutting around in her underwear and grinding her crotch on my 60 inch TV until I feel some bizarre need to grab a bottle of windex and remove the slime from my screen.  Don't watch 6 hours of random hype soaked pre-game discussion. Do something else.

I agree that money and the influence thereof has become a permeating entity in the NFL now, to a greatly noticeable degree. But the essence of the game is still there. The technology, money and emphasis on a quality product has had some ill effect. But it has also brought the game to a better place if you're willing to see it. 

Instant Replay Review. This granted us a great deal of quality assurance. Still some issues (expansion) that needs addressed. 

We have truly the best athletes in the world playing the game, literally the best of the best of the best. Not just footballers, but track stars, basketball stars etc. 

The excitement over championship games is fun to witness. In 2006, I realize many of them were bandwagon fans whom may have had absolutely no knowledge about football, but it was neat to see damn near every man, woman, and child in this city wearing blue 'n' white. This is all due to the popularity of the sport.

Because of the money involved, there's an urgency and thirst for each team to win the big one. Far more so than in the past. 

There's many other positive outcomes from the influence of the sports popularity and the money involved, you just have to want to see it, it's there. 

We can see the celebrity NFL diva going back to the 1960's with Namath and his fur coat, and I'm sure well before him. Egos and celebrity have always been a part of this sport, only in the past, money wasn't as big of a factor as it is now. 

If you truly love the game, the trick is to turn a blind eye to all the hoopla, grandeur, and hyperbole. Hit the mute button when the ditzy blond in leather pants starts singing the Sunday Night Football intro theme song. Go get a snack or a smoke while Beyonce is diminishing all female singers by doing what female entertainers are expected to do; Strutting around in her underwear and grinding her crotch on my 60 inch TV until I feel some bizarre need to grab a bottle of windex and remove the slime from my screen.  Don't watch 6 hours of random hype soaked pre-game discussion. Do something else.

I agree that money and the influence thereof has become a permeating entity in the NFL now, to a greatly noticeable degree. But the essence of the game is still there. The technology, money and emphasis on a quality product has had some ill effect. But it has also brought the game to a better place if you're willing to see it. 

Instant Replay Review. This granted us a great deal of quality assurance. Still some issues (expansion) that needs addressed. 

We have truly the best athletes in the world playing the game, literally the best of the best of the best. Not just footballers, but track stars, basketball stars etc. 

The excitement over championship games is fun to witness. In 2006, I realize many of them were bandwagon fans whom may have had absolutely no knowledge about football, but it was neat to see damn near every man, woman, and child in this city wearing blue 'n' white. This is all due to the popularity of the sport.

Because of the money involved, there's an urgency and thirst for each team to win the big one. Far more so than in the past. 

There's many other positive outcomes from the influence of the sports popularity and the money involved, you just have to want to see it, it's there. 

Namath's fur coat was SWEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My monthly rant about unnecessarily long posts.....TL:DR

:D

My monthly rant about unnecessarily long posts.....TL:DR

:D

Lemme get out my crayon for people that frequent a website which requires reading only to complain about reading.

Money in NFL not always bad. Some good come from it. Turn back to hype, grab hot wings and stop whining or go watch baseball. 

Lemme get out my crayon for people that frequent a website which requires reading only to complain about reading.

Money in NFL not always bad. Some good come from it. Turn back to hype, grab hot wings and stop whining or go watch baseball.

What do u think radiogirl? Cookie?

If you can't find your crayon I'm sure it's in your coloring book

We watched a sports news show with Dez Bryant in his home awhile back.  They wanted to know something the typical fan wouldn't know about him.  He said, "People probably wouldn't know this.  But, I like rap and hip hop.  And, I have a huge collection of tennis shoes."  REALLY?  WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED?????  And this is sporting news?  This is the focus?

Gasp!!.....rap and hip hop??

And all along I had him figured for a Deadhead. :P

I agree with you on some things and not others.

What I wonder about is the future of the NFL.  When will the bubble burst?.......When will  popularity decrease because most families cannot afford to take their kids to the game.......

Will the TV money dry up because of the changes in that industry?

I guess we'll see

It's all changed a lot.  Some for the good........some not.  

I agree with you on some things and not others.

What I wonder about is the future of the NFL.  When will the bubble burst?.......When will  popularity decrease because most families cannot afford to take their kids to the game.......

Will the TV money dry up because of the changes in that industry?

I guess we'll see

It's all changed a lot.  Some for the good........some not.

I agree Nadine. The lack of affordability will catch up to them. And, tv viewing is more fragmented as is all media. It's a great game. But with everything comes change. That's the only certain.

I agree Nadine. The lack of affordability will catch up to them. And, tv viewing is more fragmented as is all media. It's a great game. But with everything comes change. That's the only certain.

Changes aren't permanent... but change is! Boom! Rush lyrics finally got one in there :goodluck: