Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Papa Luck is coming to Indy Folks

TKnight24

@mchappell51: Welcome to Indy. Maybe Andrew has a spare room. NCAA names Oliver Luck new executive vice president of reg. affairs

Link: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/oliver-luck-selected-new-regulatory-executive-vice-president

@gmbremer: Oliver always has been a great sounding board for Andrew. Will be benefit for Luck to have his dad in Indy. #Colts

We don't have any Home games left until the playoffs, but I'm certain Mr. Oliver will definitely be at the Oil Drum in the WC game cheering his son on!

:colts:

@mchappell51: Welcome to Indy. Maybe Andrew has a spare room. NCAA names Oliver Luck new executive vice president of reg. affairs

Link: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/oliver-luck-selected-new-regulatory-executive-vice-president

@gmbremer: Oliver always has been a great sounding board for Andrew. Will be benefit for Luck to have his dad in Indy. #Colts

We don't have any Home games left until the playoffs, but I'm certain Mr. Oliver will definitely be at the Oil Drum in the WC game cheering his son on!

:colts:

I hope he can bring some sanity or at least common sense to the organization.  They need to come to grips with the reality that college athletes should have the same rights as regular students.  I could go on, but this is a Colts board.

Welcome to Indy Oliver!

I hope he can bring some sanity or at least common sense to the organization.  They need to come to grips with the reality that college athletes should have the same rights as regular students.  I could go on, but this is a Colts board.

Welcome to Indy Oliver!

I would agree with this as long as they give the same perks and opportunities to the regular students.

I would agree with this as long as they give the same perks and opportunities to the regular students.

Again, I didn't want to get into this on this board.  So I'll keep it brief with just one point. 

Scholarship athletes aren't allowed to get jobs or sell their own property.  Regular students on scholarship are, and I doubt the universities are making money on their jerseys.

Pat McAfee gets into it with a local sports radio guy. I watched this unfold live. Dakich is a local talking sports head who's out there sometimes, for you "out of towners". 

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/2014/12/17/indysportsday/20532873/

why did McAfee get into it with Dakich?  i couldn't get this link to work....i have a piece of malware blocking it i think.

why did McAfee get into it with Dakich?  i couldn't get this link to work....i have a piece of malware blocking it i think.

Here's the exchange...Nothing really other than Dakich being himself

McAfee: I'm excited about the future of the @NCAA... Currently a completely broken system... Only a gentleman like Oliver Luck has a chance of fixing it.

Dakich: Yep.."completely broken" athletes treated better than ever,,given more opps than ever..graduating at the highest % ever... @PatMcAfeeShow

McAfee: @dandakich Billions Dan. Billions.. Zero dollars to the athletes.. Millions to the coaches.. You're a coach.. You can't help your ignorance.

Dakich: @PatMcAfeeShow you're a player..ur stupidity is on display constantly..regardless of making people laugh..a 52k education to all is payment

Dakich: @PatMcAfeeShow haven't been a coach for 6 yrs..studied this pretty in depth..ur taking the EZ way based on ur own ignorance.

Dakich: @PatMcAfeeShow its to be expected.ur experience is based on others opinions not on fact the very definition o ignorance keep makin Em laugh

McAfee: @dandakich I don't believe players should be paid by the school..I simply think the NCAA's belief that they own player's names is disgusting.

Dakich: @PatMcAfeeShow ok..so that means an organization is "completely broke"?? Plez..stick to punting and appearances.

McAfee: @dandakich athletes away from using their name, popularity, and hard work to benefit themselves is an absolute joke.

Dakich: @PatMcAfeeShow ok so again..what about all the great things this "completely broke" organization does for 1000's@of Olympic Sports/women?

Again, I didn't want to get into this on this board.  So I'll keep it brief with just one point. 

Scholarship athletes aren't allowed to get jobs or sell their own property.  Regular students on scholarship are, and I doubt the universities are making money on their jerseys.

Regular students also are not given free gear, free tutoring or have coaches call boosters to get them a job after graduation, among many other perks.

Those jersey sales help pay for all the minor sports that are at the university.

Here's the exchange...Nothing really other than Dakich being himself

McAfee: I'm excited about the future of the @NCAA... Currently a completely broken system... Only a gentleman like Oliver Luck has a chance of fixing it.

Dakich: Yep.."completely broken" athletes treated better than ever,,given more opps than ever..graduating at the highest % ever... @PatMcAfeeShow

McAfee: @dandakich Billions Dan. Billions.. Zero dollars to the athletes.. Millions to the coaches.. You're a coach.. You can't help your ignorance.

Dakich: @PatMcAfeeShow you're a player..ur stupidity is on display constantly..regardless of making people laugh..a 52k education to all is payment

Dakich: @PatMcAfeeShow haven't been a coach for 6 yrs..studied this pretty in depth..ur taking the EZ way based on ur own ignorance.

Dakich: @PatMcAfeeShow its to be expected.ur experience is based on others opinions not on fact the very definition o ignorance keep makin Em laugh

McAfee: @dandakich I don't believe players should be paid by the school..I simply think the NCAA's belief that they own player's names is disgusting.

Dakich: @PatMcAfeeShow ok..so that means an organization is "completely broke"?? Plez..stick to punting and appearances.

McAfee: @dandakich athletes away from using their name, popularity, and hard work to benefit themselves is an absolute joke.

Dakich: @PatMcAfeeShow ok so again..what about all the great things this "completely broke" organization does for 1000's@of Olympic Sports/women?

whoa, thanks!  pretty heated

Regular students also are not given free gear, free tutoring or have coaches call boosters to get them a job after graduation, among many other perks.

Those jersey sales help pay for all the minor sports that are at the university.

I'll get on a soap box for a second if you don't mind.  IMHO, I think that Americans are more and more feeling entitled. 

Athletes provide a service to the university that regular scholarship students do not.  Again, it's MHO, but it's sort of like capitalism.  You should earn what you deserve, not just because someone else gets it.  Yes, athletes get a lot of perks.  In most cases the value is far less than what the university is profiting from them.

Back to the NCAA - at some point they're going to have to admit that the power conference athletes should not be subject to the same rules as the minor schools.  Especially in football.  In most cases, the football program is paying for all of the other sports activites.

They're also going to have to realize that some athletes are not there for an education. 

Sorry, I really didn't want to get into this.  And I apologize for not being clear on my opinions.  It would take a lot longer, and probably boring post, to do so.

I'll get on a soap box for a second if you don't mind.  IMHO, I think that Americans are more and more feeling entitled. 

Athletes provide a service to the university that regular scholarship students do not.  Again, it's MHO, but it's sort of like capitalism.  You should earn what you deserve, not just because someone else gets it.  Yes, athletes get a lot of perks.  In most cases the value is far less than what the university is profiting from them.

Back to the NCAA - at some point they're going to have to admit that the power conference athletes should not be subject to the same rules as the minor schools.  Especially in football.  In most cases, the football program is paying for all of the other sports activites.

They're also going to have to realize that some athletes are not there for an education. 

Sorry, I really didn't want to get into this.  And I apologize for not being clear on my opinions.  It would take a lot longer, and probably boring post, to do so.

The Power 5 are getting ready to cut the NCAA out completely. The NCAA's sanctimony and hypocrisy have burned big programs enough, and they are already undermining the NCAA by establishing some of their own rules and guidelines designed to treat student-athletes more fairly.

Like McAfee, I think the idea that everyone can make money on the players' celebrity except for the players themselves is bogus, and I think the suit against the NCAA is going to be a catalyst for major change. I don't know if the mechanics for paying players can work, because of Title IX and other restrictions, not to mention the difference in revenue between, say, Ohio State and Purdue, but the idea that players are "paid" with scholarships, and that should be good enough, is nonsense. NCAA and their partners rake in billions, but if Dez Bryant goes to dinner with Deion Sanders, he's suspended for most of the season. It's ridiculous, and I think it has to and is going to change.

Don't apologize, I enjoy a debate as long as there is some thought behind it.  I agree with many of your points, but I believe that the colleges and universities prime focus should be education and if they are going to start paying players beyond the scholarships and multiple perks that they already get then maybe the NFL and NBA should start their own minor league systems.  I also believe that if the NCAA gives the power conferences exemptions to these rules many will object to it, I for one would not want any public funds going to any college or university that was part of that type of system.