Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

teams giving up on QBs

CR91

Yeah none of those guys ever gave much reason to say "Lets give him more time."

Favre, Montana, Plunkett, Williams, Hostetler, Rypien and Warner won super bowls and were not starters at first. Favre was told he would never be a starting QB in the NFL. Warner was playing in NFL Europe and arena I think. Plunkett was cut by the Patriots and thought to be a bust. I picked these super bowl winners to say I don't agree with your opinion. With more checking the NFL past is full of QBs who were thought to be no good but later proved everyone wrong. I put Montana on the list because of the time he played for Kansas City and was successful.

Bradshaw was kinda dumb? You just threw your opinion out the window. Where did I say the older QBs that were recycled won super bowls? I said success.

LOL . On that one . You get destroyed and take a remark out of context and say throw my opinion out the window. I made the Bradshaw remark because when he was drafted , they thought he was raw and not sure if intelligent enough to start his rookie year. I only threw that in there because Bradshaw was a very high pick while the rest of the QB's I mentioned  were taken much lower lower . Rather than expound on it I just said kinda "dumb." and BTW... that was the what some thought of him coming out of college.

ANYWAY... here's what you said "The NFL history is full of QBs who were passed aside but later become great QBs."

I never said anything about SB QB's either. So how about you start naming the "Great QB's " that you mentioned  ? I can't wait to see your list . I think I see the words "great " and "many." So have at it....

LOL . On that one . You get destroyed and take a remark out of context and say throw my opinion out the window. I made the Bradshaw remark because when he was drafted , they thought he was raw and not sure if intelligent enough to start his rookie year. I only threw that in there because Bradshaw was a very high pick while the rest of the QB's I mentioned  were taken much lower lower . Rather than expound on it I just said kinda "dumb." and BTW... that was the what some thought of him coming out of college.

ANYWAY... here's what you said "The NFL history is full of QBs who were passed aside but later become great QBs."

Well you ask for it. All these players started with different teams and ended up in the top 100 QBs of all time. Manning, Young,Farve, Dawson, Moon, Brocklin, Cunningham, Gabrial, Layne, Morrall, Plunkett, Warner, Morton, Theisman, Gannon, Krieg, Williams, Garcia, Jawonski, Culpepper, Johnson, Blanda, Testaverde, Plummer, Kilmer, Landry, Harbaugh, Hasselback, Chandler, Collins, Flutie, Johnson (Denver), Dellomme, Pennington, Chandler and Hebert. Any more comments or questions?

I never said anything about SB QB's either. So how about you start naming the "Great QB's " that you mentioned  ? I can't wait to see your list . I think I see the words "great " and "many." So have at it....Just an after thought- All these players were either traded, cut and a couple were out of football altogether before rejoining.

I'm probably in the minority, but I think teams give QBs too much time.  I don't think it's that hard to evaluate whether a guy can play or not.  By the end of season two, you should have a clear idea of whether your QB can legitimately get it done for you.  If you think about it, in the last twenty years, has any QB ever come back to haunt their team after being released and joining a new team?  We all know who the really good QBs are, and these guys don't get let go in the first place.  The only time you see it happen is when the QB has an injury and the team believes they have a great young QB prospect (ex. Brees and Peyton). 

The biggest mistake teams make imo is that they don't move on when they should.  They give out huge contracts for QBs that aren't very good (recent examples are Jay Cutler and Andy Dalton getting huge money; I'd add Flacco too but he did win them a SB, however, the amount of money they gave him was insane).

An excellent post SCF300! Very well written too. Dalton will be gone soon in Cincinnati. The guy just doesn't inspire confidence in either the huddle or among the fan base to me. 

The coaching staff in place matters as well as the willingness of the owner to open his checkbook to bring in good talent & not meddling in matters that undermine your coaching staff's authority. 

If Andy Dalton is released from the Bengals in his 2nd year of his new deal, will Marvin Lewis be fired or will again survive an unimpressive season with no Playoff wins under his regime? Hmm...

Well you ask for it. All these players started with different teams and ended up in the top 100 QBs of all time. Manning, Young,Farve, Dawson, Moon, Brocklin, Cunningham, Gabrial, Layne, Morrall, Plunkett, Warner, Morton, Theisman, Gannon, Krieg, Williams, Garcia, Jawonski, Culpepper, Johnson, Blanda, Testaverde, Plummer, Kilmer, Landry, Harbaugh, Hasselback, Chandler, Collins, Flutie, Johnson (Denver), Dellomme, Pennington, Chandler and Hebert. Any more comments or questions?

That's quite the comprehensive list of QBs who made a name for themselves in different cities other than the front offices that drafted them. I will never question your football expertise CC1. 

For God's sakes . How many of those guys were played when they weren't ready by one team and went to develop with a more "patient team." Who in God's name never said a good QB never switched teams ? 

Moom doesn't fit. Nor Payton Manning ... that's really lame on your part. Nor Does Favre , Chandler , Pennington, Morrall  , Cunningham... on and on and on. The thread is some of you claim teams throw young QB's to the wolves. You agreed and said there were QB's that this happened to and went on to be great QB's with other teams. 

You are so lame...

Furthermore so many of those guys are not great." 

That's quite the comprehensive list of QBs who made a name for themselves in different cities other than the front offices that drafted them. I will never question your football expertise CC1. 

That's hardly the issue in this thread. Maybe you and CC1 should go have a beer. 

I never said anything about SB QB's either. So how about you start naming the "Great QB's " that you mentioned  ? I can't wait to see your list . I think I see the words "great " and "many." So have at it....Just an after thought- All these players were either traded, cut and a couple were out of football altogether before rejoining.

Are you insane or just on something ? What in God's name are you talking about. Give me what I quoted that I would need to provide a list of QB's to back up my point ? I have no idea what you are talking about .

Not really an expertise issue. I do appreciate your comment and as always good humor. Keep up the good work!

For God's sakes . How many of those guys were played when they weren't ready by one team and went to develop with a more "patient team." Who in God's name never said a good QB never switched teams ? 

Moom doesn't fit. Nor Payton Manning ... that's really lame on your part. Nor Does Favre , Chandler , Pennington, Morrall  , Cunningham... on and on and on. The thread is some of you claim teams throw young QB's to the wolves. You agreed and said there were QB's that this happened to and went on to be great QB's with other teams. 

You are so lame...

Furthermore so many of those guys are not great."

Those QBs listed are on the list of the greatest QBs who ever played the game. I am sorry your opinion don't match. Moon don't fit? How is that? He wasn't even drafted in the NFL. That is the ultimate throw away. You ask for the list and now you insist on making the bottom line on your own terms. Any QB that was traded, cut or let go was not wanted by the teams who signed or drafted them. If your going to limit the QBs to your liking then there is no debating anything with you because of your narrow point of view made up of your own opinion. As far as Manning your way off base on that. He was cut thinking his medical problem could be the end of his playing days. I made the list up as you wanted now you want to argue about it? Farve was traded away from Atlanta after being told he would never be a NFL QB. Did you say lame? Your argument is exactly that.

Not really an expertise issue. I do appreciate your comment and as always good humor. Keep up the good work!

LOL Dee and Dumb.

When you gdet around to it just clue me in to how guys like Roman Gabriel , who became a starter for the Rams late in his rookie year and played the following freaking 10 years for them . He  played in multiple pro bowls and then goes on to Philly at age 32 , backs up your point that teams round QB's by playing them too soon. 

Otherwords because he started his rookie year , played great but finished his career with another team , it proves your point. LOL

LOL Dee and Dumb.

When you gdet around to it just clue me in to how guys like Roman Gabriel , who became a starter for the Rams late in his rookie year and played the following freaking 10 years for them . He  played in multiple pro bowls and then goes on to Philly at age 32 , backs up your point that teams round QB's by playing them too soon. 

Otherwords because he started his rookie year , played great but finished his career with another team , it proves your point. LOL

Oh my god!!! You fount one in the list that I overlooked!! Good for you Mr. Boy Scout.

Those QBs listed are on the list of the greatest QBs who ever played the game. I am sorry your opinion don't match. Moon don't fit? How is that? He wasn't even drafted in the NFL. That is the ultimate throw away. You ask for the list and now you insist on making the bottom line on your own terms. Any QB that was traded, cut or let go was not wanted by the teams who signed or drafted them. If your going to limit the QBs to your liking then there is no debating anything with you because of your narrow point of view made up of your own opinion. As far as Manning your way off base on that. He was cut thinking his medical problem could be the end of his playing days. I made the list up as you wanted now you want to argue about it? Farve was traded away from Atlanta after being told he would never be a NFL QB. Did you say lame? Your argument is exactly that.

You have to be kidding . You were saying that QB's were ruined by other teams as they played too quickly. Then you said the NFL is full of Qb's that this happened to and they went on to be great QB's for other teams. Now you want got change that tho QB's that were good that played for more than 1 team. That would mean a guy like Jemarcus Russell played his rookie year in oakland and failed. You then would need to show which team Russell went to and succeeded. Not just start naming QB's that played for more than 1 team. Are you just insane or limited ? 

Here's your post that I responded to .... 

"I think you are in the minority. In the past QBs were brought along slowly compared to today. Just because a lot of todays collage QBs are playing in a pro set does not mean they are ready to play in the pros. Two of the greatest QBs in history sat a long time before becoming great. Young and Rogers. The NFL history is full of QBs who were passed aside but later become great QBs. There is a reason there are only 32 starting QBs in the NFL. '

You have to be kidding . You were saying that QB's were ruined by other teams as they played too quickly. Then you said the NFL is full of Qb's that this happened to and they went on to be great QB's for other teams. Now you want got change that tho QB's that were good that played for more than 1 team. That would mean a guy like Jemarcus Russell played his rookie year in oakland and failed. You then would need to show which team Russell went to and succeeded. Not just start naming QB's that played for more than 1 team. Are you just insane or limited ? 

Here's your post that I responded to .... 

"I think you are in the minority. In the past QBs were brought along slowly compared to today. Just because a lot of todays collage QBs are playing in a pro set does not mean they are ready to play in the pros. Two of the greatest QBs in history sat a long time before becoming great. Young and Rogers. The NFL history is full of QBs who were passed aside but later become great QBs. There is a reason there are only 32 starting QBs in the NFL. '

Do you need a comprehension lesson?

Oh my god!!! You fount one in the list that I overlooked!! Good for you Mr. Boy Scout.

Then there must be a "great QB " I never heard of named "Gabrial ?" Is that last guy just misspelled or do you have a guy I never heard of

From you list....

Young,Farve, Dawson, Moon, Brocklin, Cunningham, Gabrial,

That's hardly the issue in this thread. Maybe you and CC1 should go have a beer. 

What's that supposed to me exactly? I happen to find his football commentary a good read as I do you DW49. I'm not a big beer drinker myself, but sure I'd shoot the breeze with either 1 you guys without question. 

Firing shots across the bough "Are you just insane or limited?" really does nothing to foster debate. Neither does the "comprehension line" for that matter I will admit. Come on fellas. Just agree to disagree & move on. 

Am I a football guru? Hades no, but I know whose spewing nonsense & who isn't. Enough said. 

What's that supposed to me exactly? I happen to find his football commentary a good read as I do you DW49. I'm not a big beer drinker myself, but sure I'd shoot the breeze with either 1 you guys without question. 

Firing shots across the bough "Are you just insane or limited?" really does nothing to foster debate. Neither does the "comprehension line" for that matter I will admit. Come on fellas. Just agree to disagree & move on. 

Am I a football guru? Hades no, but I know whose spewing nonsense & who isn't. Enough said. 

I'm done with this thread. Listing guys like Peyton Manning ,  Brett Favre , Warren Moon has nothing to do with proving his point in this thread. If you think Peyton Manning has anything to do with QB's playing too soon and failing with their first team as a result , what can I say ? What he has morphed this into is really lame and if you can't see it nothing much more for me to say...

I'm done with this thread. Listing guys like Peyton Manning ,  Brett Favre , Warren Moon has nothing to do with proving his point in this thread. If you think Peyton Manning has anything to do with QB's playing too soon and failing with their first team as a result , what can I say ? What he has morphed this into is really lame and if you can't see it nothing much more for me to say...

I'm not taking shots at anybody or at least that's not my original intent anyway. I just don't like it when friends of mine get into a scuffle. No, I'm not Mr. Rogers or the Morality police & yes we are all adults here I get that. 

I would agree that Peyton Manning did not start too soon & it was necessary that he played for INDY immediately no argument there. It's over; It's done. I get your point. 

It's really not a matter of what a thread has morphed into to me because no matter what anyone says brilliant, not so brilliant, or bat bleep crazy on an NFL level life goes on.

Yes, I'm aware when people say off the wall stuff I usually try to make them see the light too, but like the old adage goes "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make em drink." That is true, but you can give em 1 hades of shower though. It just depends what kind of mood I'm in & how far I wanna take something I guess. 

Go throw your ignorance at someone else. Who in God's name said every QB finished his career with the team that drafted him.

If you are done with throwing out insults and go back and re read my comment. I said there was a history of QBs who were passed aside but later became great QBs. You sarcastically ask for a list so I made one. If your opinion is different so be it. It seems you took offense to me commenting about you comment about Bradshaw. So be it. Big deal? Now all you want is to get your panties all in a bunch over a difference in opinion. No problem. I will put you on my very short list of ignore so there will be no more back and forth problems. Now you have yourself a pleasant day. As always, Go Colts!

If you are done with throwing out insults and go back and re read my comment. I said there was a history of QBs who were passed aside but later became great QBs. You sarcastically ask for a list so I made one. If your opinion is different so be it. It seems you took offense to me commenting about you comment about Bradshaw. So be it. Big deal? Now all you want is to get your panties all in a bunch over a difference in opinion. No problem. I will put you on my very short list of ignore so there will be no more back and forth problems. Now you have yourself a pleasant day. As always, Go Colts!

Two different levels here . You on one me on another. Best we end now. 

Favre, Montana, Plunkett, Williams, Hostetler, Rypien and Warner won super bowls and were not starters at first. Favre was told he would never be a starting QB in the NFL. Warner was playing in NFL Europe and arena I think. Plunkett was cut by the Patriots and thought to be a bust. I picked these super bowl winners to say I don't agree with your opinion. With more checking the NFL past is full of QBs who were thought to be no good but later proved everyone wrong. I put Montana on the list because of the time he played for Kansas City and was successful.

Most of those guys are dudes that where not getting a shot and when they finally did get their shot they succeeded.  That's completely different from a guy who got his shot and failed.

The guys we are are talking about is guys who got their shots and failed.

The only guy I can think of that got his shot, failed and then later succeeded was Steve Young.  

Most of those guys are dudes that where not getting a shot and when they finally did get their shot they succeeded.  That's completely different from a guy who got his shot and failed.

The guys we are are talking about is guys who got their shots and failed.

The only guy I can think of that got his shot, failed and then later succeeded was Steve Young.

Plunkett and Morrell? My comment was in response to a different scenario from another poster anyway. If you would like to debate an issue please don't omit facts that support just your opinion. There is a big picture.