Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marcus Peters

Apparently Peters has been dismissed from the team. Peters is one of the top corner prospects in the 2015 draft. He is a junior is almost certain to enter the draft now. I post the article because I have advocated for Peters as a potential draft pick in the past. 

I read in one of Bleacher Report's articles that a scout thought Peters would be fine in the pros and that the Washington coach did not like Peters. Regardless, it is tough to ignore a player arguing with a coach. 

It appears Peters has some maturing to do as he prepares for the 2015 draft, not unlike many other players. I would still consider him with a first or second round pick. 

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/11/06/washington-marcus-peters-dismissed 

I think Peters is terrific.    I was very impressed with him when Stanford faced Washington.

He looked like a future NFL cornerback.     Not sure if he's a first rounder or a 2nd rounder, but he goes high.

The question is how much (if any?) will this hurt his stock?    Peterson had a number of knuckle-heads at Boise State,  and they didn't get kicked off to my knowledge.

I suspect this will cost Peters somewhere between a half a round to maybe one full round. 

If it's more than that,   then there's likely much, much more in his private personnel file that would explain such a fall.....

Talented kid....

I think Peters is terrific.    I was very impressed with him when Stanford faced Washington.

He looked like a future NFL cornerback.     Not sure if he's a first rounder or a 2nd rounder, but he goes high.

The question is how much (if any?) will this hurt his stock?    Peterson had a number of knuckle-heads at Boise State,  and they didn't get kicked off to my knowledge.

I suspect this will cost Peters somewhere between a half a round to maybe one full round. 

If it's more than that,   then there's likely much, much more in his private personnel file that would explain such a fall.....

Talented kid....

Well the article says that the coach would give him a positive recommendation so that'll help. He should be fine though. I always look back at Tyrann Mathieu and Janoris Jenkins as a rule of thumb. Both talented players who got dismissed. But they got dismissed for marijuana related incidents. Tyrann ended up going in the third round, and Janoris in the second. Peters' dismissal doesn't seem to be drug related and the coach has a history of suspending/dismissing players, so he should be fine. He won't fall farther than the end of the 2nd round.

Here's a good read from NFL.com's Bucky Brooks.    He talks with various scouts and front office types about Peters and explains the situation......

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000424180/article/how-dismissal-affects-top-prospect-marcus-peters-draft-stock

And here's a different story saying three NFL teams have removed Peters from their draft board altogether.     So, every team is completely different about this issue.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000424207/article/exscout-marcus-peters-off-draft-board-of-three-nfl-teams

Well the article says that the coach would give him a positive recommendation so that'll help. He should be fine though. I always look back at Tyrann Mathieu and Janoris Jenkins as a rule of thumb. Both talented players who got dismissed. But they got dismissed for marijuana related incidents. Tyrann ended up going in the third round, and Janoris in the second. Peters' dismissal doesn't seem to be drug related and the coach has a history of suspending/dismissing players, so he should be fine. He won't fall farther than the end of the 2nd round.

I would rather have a kid that smokes weed than a pain in the butt

A bit overrated I think, He bites on double moves easily, Needs to gain strength (who doesn't at the college level).....will once in a while let his emotions get the best of him and get baited into jawing and getting up into an opposing players face after the play, Blitzes off the edge well, I think will need to start off on special teams, I'd start to consider him in the 4th round if by chance he is still around, I believe better players can be had in the 1st 3 rounds for us.

A bit overrated I think, He bites on double moves easily, Needs to gain strength (who doesn't at the college level).....will once in a while let his emotions get the best of him and get baited into jawing and getting up into an opposing players face after the play, Blitzes off the edge well, I think will need to start off on special teams, I'd start to consider him in the 4th round if by chance he is still around, I believe better players can be had in the 1st 3 rounds for us.

A guy experts are calling a 1st round pick (no worse than a 2nd) and possibly the best cover-corner in the draft and you'd start to consider him in the 4th round?!?

You're not helping yourself.........         :facepalm:

A guy experts are calling a 1st round pick (no worse than a 2nd) and possibly the best cover-corner in the draft and you'd start to consider him in the 4th round?!?

You're not helping yourself.........         :facepalm:

Is ok, I wont be the first person to be wrong IF I am......and neither will those experts...He isn't worth a 1st-2nd round pick. I also gave perfectly legit reasons why I don't think he is a 1st-2nd round pick

Is ok, I wont be the first person to be wrong IF I am......and neither will those experts...He isn't worth a 1st-2nd round pick. I also gave perfectly legit reasons why I don't think he is a 1st-2nd round pick

When people who do this for a living are giving an evaluation that's far off from your own,  you might want to reconsider....

When people who do this for a living are giving an evaluation that's far off from your own,  you might want to reconsider....

No I don't but thanks for the advice......Guys like Mel Kiper thought Akili Smith would be a great player...and that Ryan Leafs attitude would be an asset  in the NFL and to his advantage, Of course I value there opinion...Anyone in there right mind would......I do not always agree blindly just because they "do this for a living". I have an opinion, I might be wrong...But if I am Ill live with it...Just like those people that do this for a living have been

No I don't but thanks for the advice......Guys like Mel Kiper thought Akili Smith would be a great player...and that Ryan Leafs attitude would be an asset  in the NFL and to his advantage, Of course I value there opinion...Anyone in there right mind would......I do not always agree blindly just because they "do this for a living". I have an opinion, I might be wrong...But if I am Ill live with it...Just like those people that do this for a living have been

I'm not talking about Mel Kiper or Todd McShay or anyone else like that.

I'm talking about NFL people who do this for a living.    I've provided two links with comments from NFL types in this very thread....     Post #4.      We're now at post #12.     It's not too far away to find and click on.....

I'm talking about NFL people who do this for a living.    I've provided two links with comments from NFL types in this very thread....     Post #4.      We're now at post #12.     It's not too far away to find and click on.....

I get it, He has potential to be very very good do to he can press and his aggressiveness and that I like a lot but I question his  strength to bring down bigger wide receivers as well as ability to stay with faster wr's especially if he guesses on a route

Got to watching more on Peters and I watched the Stanford game and I got to say I had questions about his ability to stay with faster wr's...Though I think he would be in  trouble recovering if he guesses wrong, I think he can stay with them provided he don't bite on double moves, His over aggressiveness is concerning to me because it can cause him whiff on tackles but the speed in there. I still don't think he is a 1st round pick but I think 2nd-3rd, Love his ability to jam a wr

I think Indy would be perfect for him in terms of scheme, and the type of players he has around him. Not sure we need a prospective #1 corner right now though.

I think every team would love to draft a prospective #1 corner, although I admit at the moment it is not a pressing need.

Peters could end up being the best player on the board for us in the first round. Corner is not an incredibly pressing need, but it could become a need come draft time. Darius Butler is a free agent and Greg Toler is injury prone. Peters could start out in the nickel and take over the starting gig in year 2, which would coincide with the end of Toler's contract. 

The 2015 draft is not shaping up to be that great of a draft. There does not appear to be near the talent level as the 2014 draft.