Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why all the Luck hate?

Trace Pyott

I most certainly agree, I was more trying to get at why SB wins shouldn't be used as a way of measuring QB play, especially in isolation. Flacco I think is a great example, he has the arm talent to play lights out but not the consistency of a true great. Yet he had a good run in Jan and won a SB, does that automatically elevate him?   

No, not in my book. I agree with you. A great four game stretch in January doesn't undo the previous five years of mediocrity, and a bad game or stretch in January doesn't undo previous years of excellence. Football is a game where I think it's unfair and unnecessarily restrictive to judge one player on the basis of what happens in the postseason alone.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who goes to YouTube for the reading?     It's a video site.    The comments section couldn't mean less to me.   But I wouldn't stop going to YouTube because of it.

Same with ESPN.com.    Who cares what the fans think?    Not me.

I only care what good quality writers think.    What information can they share?    What insights can they reveal?    There's always lots of good information on the site.     But people here HATE on ESPN because of Skip Bayless or because they don't think the Colts get enough love....     to me,  it's throwing out the baby with the bathwater.  

There's ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNews, ESPNU and even ESPN Classic....   and some internet ESPN channels as well.

If people can't find something to watch and learn from on one of the ESPN channels,  then I think you're only hurting yourself.

The comments are there for a reason, and it is a major part of the whole experience on Youtube especially because people can share stuff then read what others think of their video, music, movie, etc... No one hates ESPN simply because of Skip, or anyone else. They hate them because the product is bad with a few good things sprinkled in like 30 for 30 show for example.   

The comments are there for a reason, and it is a major part of the whole experience on Youtube especially because people can share stuff then read what others think of their video, music, movie, etc... No one hates ESPN simply because of Skip, or anyone else. They hate them because the product is bad with a few good things sprinkled in like 30 for 30 show for example.   

You and I see YouTube and ESPN completely differently.

Night and Day.

Not saying my way is right and your way is wrong -- only that it's completely different.......

You and I see YouTube and ESPN completely differently.

Night and Day.

Not saying my way is right and your way is wrong -- only that it's completely different.......

For little clips it might not mean much, but for those who use it as a way to get their product out most will read some comments even if every other one is "You are a ______". That stuff is sad.

Who goes to YouTube for the reading?     It's a video site.    The comments section couldn't mean less to me.   But I wouldn't stop going to YouTube because of it.

Same with ESPN.com.    Who cares what the fans think?    Not me.

I only care what good quality writers think.    What information can they share?    What insights can they reveal?    There's always lots of good information on the site.     But people here HATE on ESPN because of Skip Bayless or because they don't think the Colts get enough love....     to me,  it's throwing out the baby with the bathwater.  

There's ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNews, ESPNU and even ESPN Classic....   and some internet ESPN channels as well.

If people can't find something to watch and learn from on one of the ESPN channels,  then I think you're only hurting yourself.

The only good part of espn is the comment section. The only halfway descent analyst they have currently employed is Bill Simmons and espn has done everything in its power to make sure he leaves once his current contract is up.

This is what a fan's analysis of Thursday Night's game looks like: http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/2iyq4f/analysis_ty_hiltons_9_rec_223_yds_1_td_vs_the/ Informative, well written and most important of all intelligent.

Here is Mike Wells on the same subject: http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/8261/wayne-is-lucks-go-to-receiver-but-hilton-is-his-playmaker?ex_cid=espnapi_public A monkey with a type writer can spew out a better article

The only good part of espn is the comment section. The only halfway descent analyst they have currently employed is Bill Simmons and espn has done everything in its power to make sure he leaves once his current contract is up.

This is what a fan's analysis of Thursday Night's game looks like: http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/2iyq4f/analysis_ty_hiltons_9_rec_223_yds_1_td_vs_the/ Informative, well written and most important of all intelligent.

Here is Mike Wells on the same subject: http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/8261/wayne-is-lucks-go-to-receiver-but-hilton-is-his-playmaker?ex_cid=espnapi_public A monkey with a type writer can spew out a better article

I've got a number of thoughts to share....    sorry,  but this will go longer than I'd like, but there is much to say...

The first,  is that the story you're in love with -- as good as it is, and it is good -- is on Reddit.   A site devoted to stories being written and read.     It wasn't posted on YouTube or ESPN.com which is what the other poster and I were talking about.

The second, is that the story you're in love with -- as good as it is, and it is good -- might be the only story written by this individual.     Were there more by this person?    I'd be curious.

Because,  Mike Wells,  the person you described by saying any trained monkey with a type writer could do better,  he did FIVE stories including the story about Ty and Reggie that was good and didn't need for you to trash it.   But he did 5 stories yesterday.

And he did four on on on Monday.   And since the Colts had the weekend off, so did Wells, but he still put out one story on Sunday and one on Saturday.   Then, Friday, the day after the game, Wells did SEVEN stories....   and then Thursday, the day of the game, Wells did SEVEN stories...   I think two after the game and five before the game.    And Wednesday, the day before the game,  Wells did three stories.

In total,  he did 28 stories over 7 days.  An average of four a day.   Now, you may not like any of them as much as the one you saw on Reddit.    But there is something to be said for quantity and that's one of the requirements of the job.   All 32 beat writers of the NFL teams are required to turn out a massive amount of work all week long.    

During the season,  these guys are basically working 6 days a week and even posting stories on their day off.

I think your comparison is false.    You're not comparing apples to apples.

And if you think the only good part of ESPN.com is the comment section,  then you're freely admitting how ill-informed you are about sports.    Because they've got some of the best writers on the planet.    And you're not reading them,  for whatever reasons you have,  you admit you're not reading them, but you like the comment section.

Sucks for you.....     Sorry, but there it is.....

In total,  he did 28 stories over 7 days.  An average of four a day.   Now, you may not like any of them as much as the one you saw on Reddit.    But there is something to be said for quantity and that's one of the requirements of the job.   All 32 beat writers of the NFL teams are required to turn out a massive amount of work all week long.    

During the season,  these guys are basically working 6 days a week and even posting stories on their day off.

I'll take quality over quantity any day.

Yeah pretty much, with regards to horror movies old school traditional effects are much better.  There are some ok newer horror movies out there, I think The Conjuring was decent, Strangers was good, but yeah it's pretty much a crap genre now.  Cheap thrills, people will still go pay to see garbage like Paranormal Activity lol. 

There are actually some very good foreign horror movies out there like I Saw the Devil, Martyrs, Eden Lake, High Tension and Frontier(s), they're all ultra violent good foreign horror movies.

Watching the Strangers back in 2008 in the movie theatre was terrifying. Anytime after that not so much..

I watched a movie which was pretty much a knock off of The Strangers a few weeks ago on Netflix.. Can't recall the name of it.

I'm not sure why you keep missing the point.....     but you do....

I'm just going off what you put. Nothing more. The Indy area is plagued with writers like Wells & Bob Kravitz. Wells is a basketball guy, and Kravitz is a hockey guy... and neither seem to care about the team. They go for clicks.

Bill Simmons? That guy is a clown

I've got a number of thoughts to share....    sorry,  but this will go longer than I'd like, but there is much to say...

I'm not even a little bit of a Mike Wells fan, but you make good points here. I think he could do a better job of framing his facts, but as a beat reporter, his job isn't to analyze and break down the plays on the field. There are a lot of bloggers who do a really good job of that, but that's totally different from what Wells is supposed to do.

I don't understand this. Andrew Luck is one of the most liked and most praised players in the league. The NFL Network guys practically had a coronation ceremony for him the other night. 

There might be some Luck hate coming from blowhards like Skip Bayless, and maybe some click-bait bloggers from the dark corners of the Internet. But the commentary on Luck is overwhelmingly positive.

This is true but the OP is talking about fans online.