Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Denver at San Francisco (8-17-14)

oldunclemark

I have said since February that people misunderstand that game and I still believe it very strongly.  I honestly think that those two teams were very evenly matched and that if the game were played over and over again that they would have basically split.  However, there are always outliers, games where one team plays absolutely horrible and their oppononent near perfect.  That game was one of those outliers.  It in no way shows that the Seahawks were some unbeatable juggernaut and the Broncos a complete hollow shell.  Rather, it just shows that anyone can be completely blown out every now and then.

Great post :thmup: I agree it was an outlier too, but there were also some serious factors at work in the Super Bowl that won't be this year.

Defense couldn't stop Seattle on any drive. Why? Well it had to a lot to do with the fact that the starters on defense were all banged up and not playing.   Not having Clady really reeled its ugly head there too.  The O felt it had to score every play to keep up. And every drive they didn't the more demoralizing it got.  I think the broncos this year will be much more evenly matched.  I think there's only three teams in afc that can compete against seattle. the broncos, the patriots (this one im not sure about. they have the defense to stop Seattle, but their offense could be completely shut down by seattles D), and the colts.  Broncos learned from the colts. You need to have that one speed guy (ours is TY, theirs is Sanders) to throw off how seattles D. Looking at the playoff game from two years ago, Falcons were able to torch Seattle because of Julio Jones who has the speed element. DT is fast but not like Julio, Sanders, or TY.  Im glad the game is week 3.  Will be one of the best regular season games this year.

Seattle matches up well against Denver...

......and football games are cumulative beings, too..You cant stop and reboot when things go wrong and start over..

......I think Denver at Seattle on Sept. 21 is the premier game of this coming season..

It will be what a lot of us expected the Super Bowl to be...a rare matchup of the game's best pass defense and the game's best

pass offense..

What happened in the Super Bowl has happened time and time again. It's really no mystery. When you put high-powered offensive teams up against tough, physical defenses that can disrupt them, the results are usually not good for the offense. Not always, but you have the Broncos last year, the Patriots in 2007, the Colts in the early 2000s, and others. 

As for Denver, the thing to watch is obviously their defense. I don't think anyone expects that offense to sputter. They may not top last year's production but that would be a tall order. So far, the Broncos have looked good on D. Bodes well for them for the upcoming season. 

What happened in the Super Bowl has happened time and time again. It's really no mystery. When you put high-powered offensive teams up against tough, physical defenses that can disrupt them, the results are usually not good for the offense. Not always, but you have the Broncos last year, the Patriots in 2007, the Colts in the early 2000s, and others. 

As for Denver, the thing to watch is obviously their defense. I don't think anyone expects that offense to sputter. They may not top last year's production but that would be a tall order. So far, the Broncos have looked good on D. Bodes well for them for the upcoming season.

That's actually revisioist history..

People like to believe that all NFL titles are decided by the better defense but that's a cliché..

...Baltimore, NOLA...GB..the NYGs, Indy all won with offensive displays not D..

..and in ther early days of ther Super Bowl..the teams that won had big offensive runs in the post-season

Guest nflfan014

People like to believe that all NFL titles are decided by the better defense but that's a cliché..

..and in ther early days of ther Super Bowl..the teams that won had big offensive runs in the post-season

Colts won their SB with defense.  Offensively, 3 passing TDs and 7 INT thrown, and the defense in particular the run defense really stepped up in the postseason.

Colts won their SB with defense.  Offensively, 3 passing TDs and 7 INT thrown, and the defense in particular the run defense really stepped up in the postseason.

a common myth..

They won a classic AFC title game 38-34.

Anybody who told you the defense won that title lied to you

Guest nflfan014

a common myth..

They won a classic AFC title game 38-34.

Anybody who told you the defense won that title lied to you

They also beat the Ravens 15 to 6 or something and won with 5 FGs and great defense, something Colts fans love to accuse the Pats of winning with in the early 2000s. 

Great defense and balanced offense that produces at the right time wins championships, not air attacks.  The 2007 Pats and 2013 Broncos were both shut down by teams with a much better defense and decent offense but nothing to write home about.

Doesn't take away from the Colts winning their SB to say that the defense played a big role.  I'd argue that Bob Sanders was the MVP of the playoffs that year.

They also beat the Ravens 15 to 6 or something and won with 5 FGs and great defense, something Colts fans love to accuse the Pats of winning with in the early 2000s. 

Great defense and balanced offense that produces at the right time wins championships, not air attacks.  The 2007 Pats and 2013 Broncos were both shut down by teams with a much better defense and decent offense but nothing to write home about.

Doesn't take away from the Colts winning their SB to say that the defense played a big role.  I'd argue that Bob Sanders was the MVP of the playoffs that year.

There is no formula for winning titles. You do what you do.

Withiut out a massive show of offensive force in the AFC title game against the No.1 challenge..

the Colts dont win in 2006..

Nothing takes away from the 2006 title...but universal theories for victories are always wrong.

To suggest that top defense wins over top offense just isn't accurate....

the biggest strength Denver showed in this game was their revamped offensive line..

They moved the right tackle to left guard..the left tackle to right tackle.,

,,and they brought back Ryan Clady..an all pro left tackle..

So far, so good...but they havent faced a top defensive line yet. SF didn't play everybody

Houston's defensive front this Saturday will be a major test

the biggest strength Denver showed in this game was their revamped offensive line..

They moved the right tackle to left guard..the left tackle to right tackle.,

,,and they brought back Ryan Clady..an all pro left tackle..

So far, so good...but they havent faced a top defensive line yet. SF didn't play everybody

Houston's defensive front this Saturday will be a major test

Yep, Clowney and Watt will test that OL.

You know you're my favorite uncle ;) but I still can't see it... there are just too many examples: 

2013 - Denver averages nearly 38 points per game, puts up 8 in the Super Bowl. 

2011 - New England averages better than 32 points per game, puts up 17 in the Super Bowl. 

2007 - New England averages nearly 37 points per game, puts up 14 in the Super Bowl. 

2004 - Indy averages nearly 33 points per game, puts up 3 against NE in the AFCCG. 

2001 - St. Louis averages better than 31 points per game, puts up 17 in the Super Bowl. 

On average, those record-setting or near-record setting offenses scored 22 points below their PPG when they went up against a hot and/or stiff defense.

You have to be balanced, of course... I don't think the phrase should be "defense wins championships" as much as "balance wins championships." You have to be able to win games in a lot of different ways. Shootouts, defensive battles, good conditions, bad conditions, etc-etc. 

I've also got to differ with you on the teams you noted (...Baltimore, NOLA...GB..the NYGs, Indy)...

Flacco made some nice plays during the Ravens' run, but the defense was the signature of that team. The Saints and Packers didn't have overwhelming defenses but they made plays when it counted. The Giants' titles were all about defense except for two drives, and Indy rode their defense in '06 right up until the AFCCG. You don't recall the (literally) historic turnaround in defending the run that year? 

I hate cliches as well, but sometimes there's truth to them. 

You know you're my favorite uncle ;) but I still can't see it... there are just too many examples: 

2013 - Denver averages nearly 38 points per game, puts up 8 in the Super Bowl. 

2011 - New England averages better than 32 points per game, puts up 17 in the Super Bowl. 

2007 - New England averages nearly 37 points per game, puts up 14 in the Super Bowl. 

2004 - Indy averages nearly 33 points per game, puts up 3 against NE in the AFCCG. 

2001 - St. Louis averages better than 31 points per game, puts up 17 in the Super Bowl. 

On average, those record-setting or near-record setting offenses scored 22 points below their PPG when they went up against a hot and/or stiff defense.

You have to be balanced, of course... I don't think the phrase should be "defense wins championships" as much as "balance wins championships." You have to be able to win games in a lot of different ways. Shootouts, defensive battles, good conditions, bad conditions, etc-etc. 

I've also got to differ with you on the teams you noted (...Baltimore, NOLA...GB..the NYGs, Indy)...

Flacco made some nice plays during the Ravens' run, but the defense was the signature of that team. The Saints and Packers didn't have overwhelming defenses but they made plays when it counted. The Giants' titles were all about defense except for two drives, and Indy rode their defense in '06 right up until the AFCCG. You don't recall the (literally) historic turnaround in defending the run that year? 

I hate cliches as well, but sometimes there's truth to them.

balance is a term that varues greatly....but OK

The 'defense wins championships' fable is spoken by people who are trying to win an arguement

You cant pick and choose years.

Go back over EVERY year...

What about NOLA....No.1 seed in the NFC.top offense.....2009 title...

What about Baltimore...?

Joe Flacco dominates the playoffs throwing long and short...averages 30 a game in the postseason. Ravens win title in 2012...

What about 2005...Bears had the dominant defense in the NFC....Indy beats them..

I juts think you have to look at every year.

Some said Baltimore had the greatest defense of all time when the Jets beat them in Super Bowl 3...

The weak thinking in cliches is looking for a common thread. Every year is different. there is no formula for winning.

the only thing Super Bowl champs have in common is that they all scored more points than the other team.

Denver's Offense tore up houston except for one 4 and out series. I think Peyton was just sending a message to his team that they can get better and need to continue to work hard. Doesn't want them believing the hype after their domination in preseason.

Sounds like he's coaching the team, doesn't it?