Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Predict Jim Caldwell's regular season record (and when he gets fired)

ReMeDy

That is what I don't get - the connection between being "laid back and quiet" on the sidelines meaning that he is that way in practice or in meetings or that he does not hold people accountable.  In fact, I have repeatedly this year that the reason Detroit brought him in was to instill discipline that is lacking with them.  There will be an accountability that was not there before.

I don't want to sound like a Caldwell apologist - probably too late for that - but I think the bad name he got here was unfair and not really close to accurate.  Don't think he was the greatest coach ever but was very clearly not as bad as many think that he is.  I wish him well with the Lions.

Thats possible...it doesn't mean he won't hold others accountable...but you have to admit he had a SB caliber team laid in his lap with a QB and veteren defensive leaders that held their mates accountable and pushed them. He WON'T have that there. I just think he had a team that was poised to win here....had very little to do in managing the team...it was a well run organization...he simply needed to do the x and o's...make the right calls at crunch time (time outs etc) and most importantly was TEACH up our young players to step in when their time came. NONE of that really happened....that is why I wasn't big on Caldwell. I don't care if your like Dungy and quiet mannered or your Rex Ryan....one thing Rex does is teach his defense...improve them and get players ready to play. A lot of the years here in the past decade I don't think that happened. Our stars shined...they improved themselves or Peyton worked with the offense improving them....but on defense...we didn't really coach up our young players much imo. Caldwell I think can do a good job running an offense...I just worry what he will have to do to run the inmates in Detroit....they are all quite different than what he inherited here and in Baltimore where he had Lewis and Reed and veterens there too. Good luck I hope he succeeds...I'm just worried. I just think perhaps in that organization you need a strong vocal leader...like a Harbaugh brother etc to get those guys focused.

Thats possible...it doesn't mean he won't hold others accountable...but you have to admit he had a SB caliber team laid in his lap with a QB and veteren defensive leaders that held their mates accountable and pushed them. He WON'T have that there. I just think he had a team that was poised to win here....had very little to do in managing the team...it was a well run organization...he simply needed to do the x and o's...make the right calls at crunch time (time outs etc) and most importantly was TEACH up our young players to step in when their time came. NONE of that really happened....that is why I wasn't big on Caldwell. I don't care if your like Dungy and quiet mannered or your Rex Ryan....one thing Rex does is teach his defense...improve them and get players ready to play. A lot of the years here in the past decade I don't think that happened. Our stars shined...they improved themselves or Peyton worked with the offense improving them....but on defense...we didn't really coach up our young players much imo. Caldwell I think can do a good job running an offense...I just worry what he will have to do to run the inmates in Detroit....they are all quite different than what he inherited here and in Baltimore where he had Lewis and Reed and veterens there too. Good luck I hope he succeeds...I'm just worried. I just think perhaps in that organization you need a strong vocal leader...like a Harbaugh brother etc to get those guys focused.

I stopped reading after you said he did NONE of the things you want in a coach because after that statement your credibility was lost.

I stopped reading after you said he did NONE of the things you want in a coach because after that statement your credibility was lost.

Please highlight where I said he did NONE of the things I want in a coach. I highlighted several key things I think are necessary in a very successful coach but hardly an all inclusive list of what a coach needs to do. He did MANY things right. But when you have a SB caliber team...one that has a set identity, very well run organization everything all laid out for you there isn't much left outside of the x and o's...and coaching up the young players and making them better...making the next man up capable of stepping in and helping the team and so on. All that isn't exactly on him...but he runs the coaches...I saw very little growth out of this team....you had a few super stars....Mathis, Freeney, Wayne, Peyton but few else really grew...blossomed...and those that did I could argue were more a result of playing with Peyton and his work with the offense....we certainly didn't see growth on the defensive side of the ball or OL....or back up qb....or running backs. We all can look back at the time out in the Jets playoff game and many other times where we questioned Caldwell's decision making...some of the play calls etc...I just didn't see enough with a team that was set to win...where HE made a difference....so I question if HE can be the reason this team will succeed. I pointed out that he did come in and keep the continuity and he did go into Baltimore and spur that offense through the playoffs and a SB so he clearly is talented...I just don't think he is the kind of coach that can turn an organization around...especially one that has leadership and discipline problems. In Baltimore and Indy he had teams that had many many vocal leaders....he won't have that in Detroit and to me that was not Jim's strong suit..of course just my opinion...but feel free to ignore this post. I'm sorry you didn't get the point I was trying to make.

The Lions should be an interesting team to watch. They need to learn that Johnson can't do it alone though... and build around him. I think they should be a playoff team with ten wins. Maybe.

Take the under on Caldwell facial expressions.

Matthew Stafford sure has a lot of weapons to throw to now. They drafted Ebron and signed Golden Tate if I'm not mistaken, with Bush hoping to make a comeback. They are going to be interesting to watch indeed.

Matthew Stafford sure has a lot of weapons to throw to now. They drafted Ebron and signed Golden Tate if I'm not mistaken, with Bush hoping to make a comeback. They are going to be interesting to watch indeed.

I was shocked they went with a tight end in the draft, but that gives them one really good receiver, a decent one, and a tight end along with Reggie Bush. TJ Jones from Notre Dame will be another young guy to watch. Now they need Stafford to step up... and if not it can't be blamed on anyone, but him. 

I was shocked they went with a tight end in the draft, but that gives them one really good receiver, a decent one, and a tight end along with Reggie Bush. TJ Jones from Notre Dame will be another young guy to watch. Now they need Stafford to step up... and if not it can't be blamed on anyone, but him.

Yeah I was surprised they went offense first too. I agree that Stafford should step up but that defense needs to as well. They have the line, I'm just a bit skeptical about the secondary.