Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Special Teams

Flash7

How do you feel about our special teams play last season? And what do you project for this season?

I think that we did well with our coverage, both in punt returns and kick-off returns. We actually had a blocked field goal return, which was exciting. We did allow a fluke punt return for a TD by T. Austin, but overall, I think we did well.

I cannot recall any punt returns for a TD or a kick-off return for a TD by the Colts. Actually, most of our returns were for modest gains. This is an area that we can improve upon. It's normal to have exciting returns for TDs seemingly for most other teams, but not for the Colts.

At least last year we had a Punt return for a TD by T.Y. and a much needed kick-off return against the Texans.

Sergio Brown was resigned so that is a good thing for ST's

Pat brought him in on Bob & Tom one morning & they did a fairly long segment interviewing him, it was pretty entertaining & he sounds like a good dude, plus he is a ST's standout so props to him on a thread about Special Teams......

living on the west coast I don't get as much Colts coverage, so when I get to hear about some of the more peripheral players it is always nice...

On top of what you mentioned, the Colts had a punt blocked and attempted a fake punt that was unsuccessful. I thought we had also blocked a punt, but according to Colts.com, we didn't.

I thought our ST was a marked improvement this year compared to the Polian years. Only improvement I really hope for is from our kick return game. Too many times we took it out from 9 yards deep and got dropped before the 20 yard line (David Reed comes to mind). I think some of our returners after Reed were better at not doing this.

Is Hester or Holliday still available?

1. Hester is dirt old

2. Holliday will be terrified of McAfee so he's not coming to Indianapolis

And 3. Griff Whalen was solid on return duties & also Chris Rainey should be brought back if he's not under contract to do return duties too

Dri Archer, odel becham jr or De Anthony Thomas ...... problem solved

Odell Beckem is going to be a whole lot more than a kick returner, and he'll probably go in the 1st. I would love it though if we got Thomas or Archer in the late rounds.