Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Archer's Final Pre-FA Mock Offseason

Ready to complete my final off-season mock before FA begins.  Last year I got Cherilus and Toler right, and hit on none of the draft picks.  I also was way too conservative on FA – we got so much more than I thought we could.  I’m pretty conservative again this year, but we’ve already been warned that the Colts won’t be as active in FA this year.  Initial cap room is about $28.5 million post D’Quell Jackson signing (according to others around here).

Cuts/Cap Savings

Samson Satele, C, $4 million

Greg Toler, CB, $4.2 million

Re-signees/2014 Cap Figure

Vontae Davis, CB, $8 million

Antoine Bethea, S, $3 million

Adam Vinitieri, K, $2.5 million

Pat McAfee, P, $2 million

Josh Gordy, CB. $1.33 million

Sergio Brown, ST/S, $1 million

Joe Reitz, OL (RFA), $1.33 million

Outside FA Signees/2014 Cap Figure

David De la Puente, C, Saints, $4.5 million

Walter Thurmond, CB, Seahawks, $4 million

Terrence Cody, NT, Ravens, $2.5 million

Ziggy Hood, DL, $2.5 million

The above moves leave us with about $4 million cap space.   Less than $4 million is needed for the rookie pool.

Draftees

2) Terrence Brooks, FS, Florida St.  Speedy (4.42 at the Combine) and very good in coverage.  Not physical, but a good tackler and aggressive against the run.  This is the heir apparent at FS.

3 )Dakota Dozier, OG, Furman.  Didn’t show any special speed or strength at the combine, but he’s a good player who will be an above average LG at some point in the future.

4) (From Cleveland) Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice.  The only thing Grigson likes more than trading is trading with Cleveland, who has seven picks in the first four rounds.  We pull the “Grigson Special” and trade next year’s 3rd rounder for this pick.  I was mocking Gaines to the Colts in the 7th round practically all off-season, and then he rocked the Combine (4.34 speed, 4.04 short shuttle).  He’s the last man-to-man corner I’d really covet, so I’d make the move.  Many will say this is way too high for him, but he’ll have a meteoric rise, and I’m actually not certain he will be available to us in our 3rd round pick.

5) Jay Bromley, DL, Syracuse.  Rounds out the depth for the DT/DE positions.  A penetrating DT in college, at the Combine he was 6’3, 306, ran a 4.93 forty, and put up 26 bench reps.  That’s a pretty good portfolio of physical skills for a 3-4 DL.

6) George Atkinson III, RB, Notre Dame. A 218 lb. back with 4.48 speed and 19 bench reps at the combine.  Not a receiver in college, but he could be the type of power back our OC wants.  With T-Rich on bust-watch and Ballard coming off an injury, I would have liked to re-sign Bradshaw…but D’Quell took care of that. 

7) Avery Williamson, ILB, Kentucky.  Kentucky LBs have done well recently in the pros (just ask Denver).  Williamson was a tackling machine in college, and has some good physical skills (4.66 forty, 4.07 short shuttle, 25 bench reps at 246 lbs. at the Combine).  Maybe he can push Sheppard off the roster, with any luck.

Undrafted College FAS

Alex Neutz, WR, Buffalo.

Chris Burnette, OG, Georgia

Nakita Whitlock, FB (college: 260 lb. NT), Wake Forest

Tim Cornett, RB, UNLV

Stephen Morris, QB, Miami (Could get drafted)

Kyrhi Thornton, DL, Southern Mississippi

Zack Kerr, NT, Delaware

James Morris, ILB, Iowa

Keith Reaser, CB, Florida Atlantic

I wonder if we could save cap space by releasing Sheppard, now that we have D'Quell.  Toler could go either way, but his reputation was that he was very talented, but can't stay on the field.  Last year just kind of confirmed that, so I was figuring that we might as well use the savings to sign someone more likely to be available.

I wonder if we could save cap space by releasing Sheppard, now that we have D'Quell.  Toler could go either way, but his reputation was that he was very talented, but can't stay on the field.  Last year just kind of confirmed that, so I was figuring that we might as well use the savings to sign someone more likely to be available.

Yeah, cutting Sheppard would save around a million or so. He should be cut. We have Freeman and Jackson starting, and Muamba, and McNary as the backups. He or Harvey one will have to go IMO. Also, I just noticed your avatar. I love A.I.C. Not the new stuff though.

Yeah, cutting Sheppard would save around a million or so. He should be cut. We have Freeman and Jackson starting, and Muamba, and McNary as the backups. He or Harvey one will have to go IMO. Also, I just noticed your avatar. I love A.I.C. Not the new stuff though.

Yep, too bad Staley died, but ya always got the feeling he was living on borrowed time anyway...