Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Key dates for free agency - March 8th -11th, 2014

chad72

There are some dates and key points to remember ahead of free agency. Teams will have a three day window from March 8-11 to work out a deal before players under contract officially hit the open market as unrestricted free agents. Teams have until 4 p.m. ET on March 11 to negotiate or exercise options on players.

It will be here sooner than you think.

There are some dates and key points to remember ahead of free agency. Teams will have a three day window from March 8-11 to work out a deal before players under contract officially hit the open market as unrestricted free agents. Teams have until 4 p.m. ET on March 11 to negotiate or exercise options on players.

still won't be soon enough :) lol

So wait, the Colts can't re-sign or extend any of their current UFA's until March 8?  

I was under the impression that they could do that at any time.

Can't wait for that day to come.

So does that mean free agency begins on March 11th at 4 pm?

So does that mean free agency begins on March 11th at 4 pm?

Yep, that is when the unrestricted free agent player officially hits the free agent market.

Till then, his original team can tender him, franchise tag him or negotiate a long term deal with him.

I'm sure Elway is using automated e-mails now and all GMs are staying away from "faxgate" :).

Those are the dates that the players can officially re-sign with their teams. I imagine a lot of these deals are already in place ahead of time and are just kept hush hush to avoid tampering charges from the NFL. I'm willing to bet a lot more deals will be negotiated from February 19th-25th than March 8th-11th.

Actually, the March 8 - March 11, 4PM is when they can negotiate.  They can't execute a contract until after 4PM on March 11.  You are right though, I'm sure there is plenty of talk under the table before March 8.