Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pros and cons of 7 teams in each conference playoffs

chad72

Are you in favor of 7 teams in each conference playoffs?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favor of 7 teams in each conference playoffs?

I frankly like the idea of 7 teams in each conference's playoffs. It still does not increase the number of games and it just forces the #2 seed to play a wild card game unlike before.

Pros:

There is only 1 true team that can be #1 in a conference and that is the only one that earned the right for a bye week, IMO.

Divisional strengths come and go but so many times we see a 10-6 team like the Giants in 2010, Cardinals in 2013, 11-5 team like the Patriots in 2008 etc. miss the playoffs? This most likely would keep that from happening.

Cons:

You could have divisions beating up each other and a whole slew of 8-8 teams making the playoffs. But is that really a bad thing when there is a lot of parity in the NFL? It could make it like March Madness where more upsets will happen with the top seeds once more teams are in?

Discuss.

I frankly like the idea of 7 teams in each conference's playoffs. It still does not increase the number of games and it just forces the #2 seed to play a wild card game unlike before.

Pros:

There is only 1 true team that can be #1 in a conference and that is the only one that earned the right for a bye week, IMO.

Divisional strengths come and go but so many times we see a 10-6 team like the Giants in 2010, Cardinals in 2013, 11-5 team like the Patriots in 2008 etc. miss the playoffs? This most likely would keep that from happening.

Cons:

You could have divisions beating up each other and a whole slew of 8-8 teams making the playoffs. But is that really a bad thing when there is a lot of parity in the NFL? It could make it like March Madness where more upsets will happen with the top seeds once more teams are in?

Discuss.

I like it

It means there will be 6 wild card games instead of 4.......which simply means 3 game son wild card Saturday and 3 more on wild card Sunday..

....and the NO.1 seed gets a bye..which means there will be a race for that No.1 seed..

I think its a myth that 2 extra 'cards' will be an 8-8 team gets in.

8-8 teams (GB) usually only get in if they win their division...where they only need to beat out 3 others.

Wildcard team needs to rank will all non-division winners..they odds a long that there will be less than 7 winning teams (4 division winners and 3 cards) in a conference..

The extra wild card team will most often be a deserving team....like Arizona

I don't like one team getting a bye. I think that advantage is just too big in the NFL where it is a one game and go home scenario. If they do this format then they need to get rid of the bye altogether.

Considering the debates on bye week VS. momentum it is hard to tell how much advantage there is for the top 2 seeds. I like the idea for #2 seed to play #7 since it will still be a good advantage for the #2 as many #7's are not really great teams, and it is a good thing to separate the #2 and #1 seeds as currently the two are not that much different (except for this weekend's game).

Considering the debates on bye week VS. momentum it is hard to tell how much advantage there is for the top 2 seeds. I like the idea for #2 seed to play #7 since it will still be a good advantage for the #2 as many #7's are not really great teams, and it is a good thing to separate the #2 and #1 seeds as currently the two are not that much different (except for this weekend's game).

I know what you are you saying but a week off and automatic win is too much of a reward I think for being the top seed. If they are really going to add one more team then they should just go to 8 like the NBA and NHL and have 1 play 8, 2 play 7, etc...