Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stanford Vs Usc

Susie Q

What a phenomenal game. Luck threw that pick-6, but he answered back in true HoF caliber fashion. The overtime action didn't seem to phase him. He looked exhausted on that on-field interview though, lol. He seemed like he was talking with food in his mouth, or like he was suffering a stroke, lol. Oh well, I can't blame him.

Luck's final stats: 28/39, 302yds, 7.7avg, 3 TD, 1 INT.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=313020030

What a terrific game....

USC and their DC Monte Kiffin deserve a ton of credit.... and their O-line and D-line outplayed their Stanford counterparts.

Despite the high score.... nothing came easy for Andrew Luck..... and the Cardinal rushing attack was nothing close to what it's been in weeks past.

His 2:00 TD drive after the Pick-6 was masterful.... and shows that even in enemy territory against a very solid USC team, he doesn't get rattled or down on himself after a bad mistake.

This tough street-brawl today is a game Stanford needed to experience for NFL teams to get at least a snapshot of how Luck handles things when his team mates are evenly matched or overmatched.

There will be Oregon, Notre Dame and probably a very strong bowl opponent ahead for Luck.

It should be fun to watch.

Okay, Now I have probably a dumb question but how is it decided who is the number one player in the draft? :number1: I've always wondered so I thought I would ask. :thanks: for your answer in advance.

No one has answered this yet, so I'll tell ya:

It would help that you be a little more detailed, but I'll try my best to answer it. It's decided based on the team with the number one overall pick's need, and who their front office wants that they think can help out the franchise in the best way. If the team's main need is a quarterback, they're going to draft a quarterback. If they already have a great quarterback, then they'll draft the biggest need, and take that player who plays that need. Now if there's no good one, they may go ahead and address another need by drafting a player that fills that need (hope that your following this, because it's confusing to explain). Now that's how it's decided who they chose... but the actual decision is another story.

They way they make the decision is that the team with the first overall pick, has (I believe) 5 or 10 minutes to discuss and choose a player that they want (even though they have a couple of months prior to the event). They then write their pick on a ballot and put it in an envelop and hand it to a guy, who hands it to Mr.Goodell who reads out the pick.

Hopefully I answered it, and if I didn't don't hesitate to ask me, but be sure to be a little more specific because here, I was a little confused, because the question was a little broad.

I was thinking that was a sarcastic question (esp. with the seemingly laughing emoticon) about how everyone is jumping on Luck's bandwagon as the already clear #1 pick. It's a valid sarcasm. After all, what right does anyone have to label Luck as the #1 sure-fire pick? Who was the initial person or entity who labeled Luck as the #1 pick? The analysts? I guess from there, it all snowballed into what we see today.

Edited by ReMeDy

Wow, USC brought the ball to the 4-yd line on just the very first play. 1st & goal. They may answer. Unbelievable.

Oh nope, fumble in the endzone by the HB! Stanford wins it! Their win streak continues. Luck is hugging his coach, full of smiles. Luck runs to the fans and starts high-fiving some of them. This means USC cannot go to a bowl game, so this meant a lot to them. They look like they're ready to collapse from sadness and exhaustion.

They couldnt go to a bowl game anyway, because they are in thier 2nd year of bowl ineligibilty, thanks to Reggie Bush.

No one has answered this yet, so I'll tell ya:

It would help that you be a little more detailed, but I'll try my best to answer it. It's decided based on the team with the number one overall pick's need, and who their front office wants that they think can help out the franchise in the best way. If the team's main need is a quarterback, they're going to draft a quarterback. If they already have a great quarterback, then they'll draft the biggest need, and take that player who plays that need. Now if there's no good one, they may go ahead and address another need by drafting a player that fills that need (hope that your following this, because it's confusing to explain). Now that's how it's decided who they chose... but the actual decision is another story.

They way they make the decision is that the team with the first overall pick, has (I believe) 5 or 10 minutes to discuss and choose a player that they want (even though they have a couple of months prior to the event). They then write their pick on a ballot and put it in an envelop and hand it to a guy, who hands it to Mr.Goodell who reads out the pick.

Hopefully I answered it, and if I didn't don't hesitate to ask me, but be sure to be a little more specific because here, I was a little confused, because the question was a little broad.

I think she may have been asking how they are determined as prospects, as in, why is Luck the consensus #1 and as the draft draws near, how is it determined who is, and is not, 'First Round' prospects.

The answer, I believe, is purely consensus opinion from the AP, scouts and so on. Every year a general mold is formed by the talking heads and chatter from league scouts. However, every year the presumed firing order is violated and the media claims it as a "surprise" because their consensus opinion was deviated from. Brady Quinn was a good example, as he was predicted solidly as a top ten pick, even a number one overall by many, and he sat until the 22nd pick. We all know how his career turned out.....

I was thinking that was a sarcastic question (esp. with the seemingly laughing emoticon) about how everyone is jumping on Luck's bandwagon as the already clear #1 pick. It's a valid sarcasm. After all, what right does anyone have to label Luck as the #1 sure-fire pick? Who was the initial person or entity who labeled Luck as the #1 pick? The analysts? I guess from there, it all snowballed into what we see today.

Sorry if you took that to be sarcastic. I just don't know how everyone is saying that Luck is the #1 pick. Why not another position?

Maybe I worded that wrong and maybe I shouldn't have ask. All the media is saying he is the # 1 pick and I wondered why it was him in general.

Sorry if you took that to be sarcastic. I just don't know how everyone is saying that Luck is the #1 pick. Why not another position?

Maybe I worded that wrong and maybe I shouldn't have ask. All the media is saying he is the # 1 pick and I wondered why it was him in general.

Because he's the best player available and usually if your team is bad enough to have the #1 pick, QB is a need. Colts situation is weird though depending on Peyton's health. If Peyton is healthy, he will prefer that the Colts use the pick on something to help him now - like OL or DL.

This game reinforced why I want Luck on the Colts. It was all the little things that really stood out to me...

- Celebrating with the fans by high-fiving them in the stands

- The offensive adjustments

- The perseverance (While everyone else was getting exhausted, Luck and his offense was the Energizer Bunny.)

- The near masterful throw across his body to his left on the rollout (For a college QB to already do this is insane.)

- Patting the ref on the head and sharing a laugh with him (Shows he's a great and positive communicator.)

- His comeback after throwing a pick-6. (It didn't seem to phase him at all!)

- The aggressive play-calling. (Since Luck orchestrates some of the offense himself, I'm sure he had a say in this.)

- His speed. (The way he got to the outside and ran up-field was insane. It's like he is Manning on wheels.)

The kid did flawlessly. Yes, he made some mistakes, but ironically, because he bounced back from them, it may have fueled his draft stock even further. To see him overcome that pick-6 was especially astounding. I just don't see any way the Colts could go wrong with Luck. He has made Stanford into an unbeaten power-house, and he will do so with the Colts, just as Manning did, if given the chance. This kid is not going to be Ryan Leaf, because Ryan Leaf did not show the same intelligence, determination, and leadership that Luck is demonstrating, and unlike JaMarcus Russell, you cannot question Luck's work ethic.

Edited by ReMeDy

Who gets picked number one is purely a matter of the personal opinion of the team doing the picking. Nobody ever "knows" who the first pick will be until it actually takes place.

The noise about Luck is purely a media phenomenon which has now extended to the fan-base. Essentially, it is common knowledge that top quality Quarterbacks are the rarest and most valuable players, and that "the best Quarterback in college" is frequently taken with the first overall draft pick. It is now perceived to be common knowledge that Luck is the "best quarterback in college". Therefore it is perceived to be common knowledge that Luck will be the first overall pick in the draft.

So many people (who know a lot more about football than any of us) are declaring that Luck is a once in a generation player that it seems pretty likely (based on having seen similar situations in the past) that he WILL end up as the first pick in the draft. The fact is, however, that each football team evaluates every single player available for the draft independently. Many general managers (including famously, Bill Polian) show clear contempt for the opinions of every single one of those talking heads who are ready to crown Luck. It is entirely possible that they think that one of the other QBs is a better prospect, or that they think that another player at a different position is too good to pass over. Of course if someone ELSE thinks Luck is good enough, they may make a trade with that team up top that doesn't want him. In fact the media frenzy is getting so bad that there will be pressure on teams to take him even if they DON'T think he is "all that".

All because people who write about sports for a living need to attract attention, and big declarative statements like "best ever" make for great copy. If this was 40 years ago many of us would probably never have even heard of him nor seen him play, much less have the confidence to predict where he will be drafted. The kid's going to have an insane amount of pressure on him regardless of what happens.

Its unanimous that he is the #1 sure fire pick. This snowball started back when he was in HS. You watched the game, all the reasons right there.