Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1st Round Pick vs. T-Rich

Rob Lowe

166 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you rather have?

• 1st round pick
    • T-Rich

Obviously it's talent on the level of Jamar Taylor, so I would pass on whoever was available,(Vance McDonald, Arthur Brown, DJ Swearinger, Montee Ball, Robert Alford, Eddie Lacy, Travis Kelce, Larry Warford,Dwayne Gratz, Sio Moore, Christine Michael, Keenan Allen, Tyrann Matheui, Leon McFadden etc.).....still taking Vontae 10 out of 10 times if done all over again

I waivered a fair share on Warford, I felt he was going to be good but I did not want to use our 1st round pick on him, Dont think there is a Guard in this years draft with his talent but I would not have passed on his talent again in this upcoming draft if we had our 1st round pick and his talent was available, I liked Allen but felt if Cordarelle Patterson had a QB he would be better then Allen long term, Unfortunately he is wasting away in Minnesota

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I waivered a fair share on Warford, I felt he was going to be good but I did not want to use our 1st round pick on him, Dont think there is a Guard in this years draft with his talent but I would not have passed on his talent again in this upcoming draft if we had our 1st round pick and his talent was available, I liked Allen but felt if Cordarelle Patterson had a QB he would be better then Allen long term, Unfortunately he is wasting away in Minnesota

I think in the long run any of the 3 Tenn WRs could be better and yes that means our Da'rick Rogers

I agree Patterson is getting screwed

Gabe Jackson Mississippi state comes to mind

Gabe Jackson Mississippi state comes to mind

Yeah, I think like Warford Jackson will have problems with quick interior D Linemen though, But against bigger D Linemen and in the run game I expect he will do great, Still think he will struggle with Stunts and twists though

Shoot. I forgot the guaranteed 15 years that random first round pick would have given us. Why can't I think ahead?!?!

well the thing is players at other positions are much more likely to get 2nd contracts  even if said running back was a star talent through his 1st contract its not likely in many cases will he get a second contract(Vikings already have had to squash a rumor of AP being traded cause of what looks to be the Vikings rebuilding and he is already 28 and still has 5 years left on his deal with at least a 14 million dollar cap hit each year), Even if for example you have a 1st round player who plays another position turns out to be just a good but not great player he is more likely to get a 2nd contract then a great rb, I honestly wont be surprised if they decide to move on come the end of 2014, It would only be a 2.4 mill dead cap hit vs paying 15 mill on what will be a 30 year old AP, Should be very interesting in my opinion

well the thing is players at other positions are much more likely to get 2nd contracts even if said running back was a star talent through his 1st contract its not likely in many cases will he get a second contract(Vikings already have had to squash a rumor of AP being traded cause of what looks to be the Vikings rebuilding and he is already 28 and still has 5 years left on his deal with at least a 14 million dollar cap hit each year), Even if for example you have a 1st round player who plays another position turns out to be just a good but not great player he is more likely to get a 2nd contract then a great rb

Tell that to all our first round picks who didn't get a second contract. Hughes and Gonzo off the top of my head. Your theory also doesn't seem to bode well for Donald huh?

Unless you've got the ability to see the future, bringing up career length/contract length is a moot point.

Tell that to all our first round picks who didn't get a second contract. Hughes and Gonzo off the top of my head. Your theory also doesn't seem to bode well for Donald huh?

Unless you've got the ability to see the future, bringing up career length/contract length is a moot point.

Injuries, of course that is the ultimate exception and of course its not a moot point its history, Most rb's dont get a 2nd contract, they either sign long term ones like AP did for 7 years or more often then not are playing somewhere else:

Edge

Shaun Alexander

The list goes on and on

Injuries, of course that is the ultimate exception and of course its not a moot point its history, Most rb's dont get a 2nd contract, they either sign long term ones like AP did for 7 years or more often then not are playing somewhere else:

Edge

Shaun Alexander

The list goes on and on

Wasn't aware Hughes was injured.

Like I said. Unless you know the future. It's a moot point. It's comparing unknowns to unknowns.

Wasn't aware Hughes was injured.

Like I said. Unless you know the future. It's a moot point. It's comparing unknowns to unknowns.

Hughes was never given a real shot anyway until last year to earn a second contract he was stuck behind Freeney and when he was on the field consistently enough last year he produced then they up and trade him for a player that come the end of next year unless he improves leaps and bounds wont likely be around(Sheppard has 1 more year on his deal)....In the mean time Hughes is building of his 4 sacks in 14 games (6 starts) last year with 9 sacks 44 tackles this year (1 start)

Hughes was never given a real shot anyway until last year to earn a second contract he was stuck behind Freeney and when he was on the field consistently enough last year he produced then they up and trade him for a player that come the end of next year unless he improves leaps and bounds wont likely be around(Sheppard has 1 more year on his deal)....In the mean time Hughes is building of his 4 sacks in 14 games (6 starts) last year with 9 sacks 44 tackles this year (1 start)

Hughes wouldnt have put up any numbers here, his role is non existant in Indy. They traded for Sheppard because both guys needed a change in scenery. And Hughes has said himself since moving to Buffalo, that he felt he wasn't treated here right. (When in all actuality he didnt do anything here to feel wanted in the first place) When players have that type of mindset they arent going to succeed on the roster. Therefore I would rather have Sheppard over Hughes anyday.

Hughes wouldnt have put up any numbers here, his role is non existant in Indy. They traded for Sheppard because both guys needed a change in scenery. And Hughes has said himself since moving to Buffalo, that he felt he wasn't treated here right. (When in all actuality he didnt do anything here to feel wanted in the first place) When players have that type of mindset they arent going to succeed on the roster. Therefore I would rather have Sheppard over Hughes anyday.

"Hughes wouldnt have put up any numbers here"

Of course he would have.....He did so last year starting 6 games, He had 4 sacks his first year in a knew defense, Its mind boggling to even think he would not have put up numbers

"And Hughes has said himself since moving to Buffalo, that he felt he wasn't treated here right."

Cant disagree with that with all the venom that was shot at him by fans, He was a 1st round pick who should have never been a 1st round pick because 1. He has alot of raw talent but he was raw as heck coming out.........2.Coaching staff at the time had no intention of moving on from Mathis or Freeney and giving him a shot

2.Coaching staff at the time had no intention of moving on from Mathis or Freeney and giving him a shot

Makes you wonder why there was such a disconnect between the coaching and the FO to draft Hughes in the first place.  If the coaches had no intention of moving on then why totally waste a pick on a guy that was never going to be given a chance?  You would think coaches and the GM would get together to help make these decisions.

Then again maybe they did, and maybe when he came in they weren't overly impressed with what he did they made the decision to not move on from Freeney or Mathis after that.  But then again neither one of us were privy to discussions between Polian and the coaches, we just saw how things eventually played out.

So what you're saying is there is no real formula to predicting how long a first round pick will be with a team regardless of position? Who knew?

So what you're saying is there is no real formula to predicting how long a first round pick will be with a team regardless of position? Who knew?

If you think many running backs earn second contracts I think this debate is pretty much over

If you think many running backs earn second contracts I think this debate is pretty much over

If you think you can predict how long a random 1st rounder would play for us, and try to use that as an argument against acquiring Richardson, then yeah I would think it pretty much is.

I also never said. "Many running backs earn second contracts", but putting words in others mouths is a form of "debate."

I would take Trent in a heart beat right now. He is slowly getting better behind a very poor offensive line, and the more wins we get, the lower the pick gets.

It all depends on who the Browns take with our draft pick

It would only matter who we took with that number one pick. Trent was never worth a high first round pick when the Browns took him. The Colts bailed them out. I would rarely take any running back in the first round except with the last pick or two. You can always find one. I'll bet there will be a very good O-lineman available with that pick. By making this trade, Grigson can no longer be taken to task over his pick in the first round (read Werner). I would not have traded the pick for Trent but I will admit it was a bold move.   :D

If you think you can predict how long a random 1st rounder would play for us, and try to use that as an argument against acquiring Richardson, then yeah I would think it pretty much is.

I also never said. "Many running backs earn second contracts", but putting words in others mouths is a form of "debate."

I cant of course but its considerably longer then a rb more often then not

I cant of course but its considerably longer then a rb more often then not

Round and around we go.

Again I never said RBs last a long time. But there are plenty of examples of players of other positions lasting shorter than RBs.

It's not science.