Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

peyton vs rg3

CR91

On a serious note, has any team played the number 1 and 2 overall draft pick QBs (same year) two weeks in a row?

you mean the 1st and 2nd QBs taken or QBs taken #1 overall and #2 overall?

If the former, the Patriots played EJ Manuel and Geno Smith back-to-back this year.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the one of the few times ill root for the Redskins to win because if they beat Denver, it helps our chances of getting a #1 seed and first round bye(The Chiefs will lose at least 4 games because their schedule gets harder). So RG3, Morris and their defense needs to play great to knock off the Broncos.

Youre more likely to get help from KC, San Diego, or , New England then. Redskins are really bad bro.

Manning will torch this defense, plain and simple. I expect a blowout.

A lot of people seem to be overlooking the fact that the Broncos defense is worse than the Redskins defense...  

The Redskins started out their first 3 games with historically the worst defense ever.. but since then have played pretty solid, I just looked up and they are ranekd 25th... which is remarkable considering they were last by a MILE after 3 weeks.... 

Denver is ranked 30th...

Also the Redskins have an extremely potent offense, RG3 looks like he's back to 2012 form and Roy Helu has a defined role, Denver has never faced a team with such a deadly run game that will both feed off and contribute toward heavy usage of play action and zone read. 

I expect a shootout, and I expect the Broncos to come out on top... but I will say this.... if the Broncos aren't up by 14 or 17 or so more points by halftime, then they will be in serious trouble. Washington leans on that run game to mentally destroy opponents in the 2nd half, Denver will need to beat them up early to ensure that Washington can't use it's deadly rush attack.

What is with some of you people and your fascination with Griffin?  yes, Andrew Luck is a much better quarterback, and yes Griffin has struggled this year.  But he's not in a sophomore slump, he's in a "my knee ligaments were shredded 9 months ago" slump.

Anybody that knows anything about football clearly knows that we made the right choice with Andrew, as he's got much more upside than RG3.  But my goodness, its borderline embarrassing the way some of you guys keep trying to say anything negative about Griffin.  Wilson, Griffin, Tannehill, Kaep...they're all good QBs.  they're young and will only get better. 

Give the hate a rest people....jesus.

A lot of people seem to be overlooking the fact that the Broncos defense is worse than the Redskins defense...  

The Redskins started out their first 3 games with historically the worst defense ever.. but since then have played pretty solid, I just looked up and they are ranekd 25th... which is remarkable considering they were last by a MILE after 3 weeks.... 

Denver is ranked 30th...

Also the Redskins have an extremely potent offense, RG3 looks like he's back to 2012 form and Roy Helu has a defined role, Denver has never faced a team with such a deadly run game that will both feed off and contribute toward heavy usage of play action and zone read. 

I expect a shootout, and I expect the Broncos to come out on top... but I will say this.... if the Broncos aren't up by 14 or 17 or so more points by halftime, then they will be in serious trouble. Washington leans on that run game to mentally destroy opponents in the 2nd half, Denver will need to beat them up early to ensure that Washington can't use it's deadly rush attack.

And to this point, Griff has had his two best games the last two weeks so I think this will be closer then people thing. But I have a couple of thoughts:

1) I think Manning may be hurt more than Denver is letting on. I saw his game drop after that face mask in the Dallas game where his head was wrenched around and he was taken to the turf. Them the Matthias looked like it pinned his arm and shoulder. While I don't doubt that he has a sore ankle, I think there may be more going up with his upper body. If his balls look shaky to start the game then I could see some TOs for the skins.

2) Holiday could have a HUGE game as the skins special teams have been horrible the last two weeks. If this ends up being a Broncs blow out, I think it may be because of the skins special teams

3) Don't under estimate how much Shanny wants to win this game after being fired from Denver. This will not get played up as much as Manning's return to Indy but Shanny may want to win more badly then either Manning or Irsay did last week.

Denver is ranked 30th...

Washington is ranked 30th and Denver is ranked 27th. PPG is the only stat that matters.

LOL He was awful in the Cowboys game. 

Back to this again? I know his passing stats weren't great but he had over 400 yards of total offense with a bunch running the ball and 50 percent third down conversions. His total game was one of his better games but the special teams let them down big in that game.

Back to this again? I know his passing stats weren't great but he had over 400 yards of total offense with a bunch running the ball and 50 percent third down conversions. His total game was one of his better games but the special teams let them down big in that game.

He passed for less than 50% and had a 6.3 YPA, had 2 turnovers and his team only generated 16 points. Yes he was completely awful. And it was evident to anyone who actually watched the game.

And no, he had a little over 300 yards of offense. 

He passed for less than 50% and had a 6.3 YPA, had 2 turnovers and his team only generated 16 points. Yes he was completely awful. And it was evident to anyone who actually watched the game.

And no, he had a little over 300 yards of offense. 

Not sure what stats you are looking at but there is the box score, http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=331013006

Skins had 433 yards of total offense compared to just 213 for Dallas. Griff converted 8 for 16 on third down as well.

I already said he was not great passing but his overall game and ability to lead the offense was much better then his other games. And I realize that is not saying a whole lot because his other games were very bad but that is my overall point, his last two games with last week vs the Bears being his best are his two best games this season. Take if for what it is worth but he looks more comfy in the offense and is running better which brings back the dual threat for the O which is key to their success and right now the Denver D looks completely vunderable. Skins will score for sure but I still think their special teams will be an issue in this game given Holiday.

Not sure what stats you are looking at but there is the box score, http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=331013006

Skins had 433 yards of total offense compared to just 213 for Dallas. Griff converted 8 for 16 on third down as well.

I already said he was not great passing but his overall game and ability to lead the offense was much better then his other games. And I realize that is not saying a whole lot because his other games were very bad but that is my overall point, his last two games with last week vs the Bears being his best are his two best games this season. Take if for what it is worth but he looks more comfy in the offense and is running better which brings back the dual threat for the O which is key to their success and right now the Denver D looks completely vunderable. Skins will score for sure but I still think their special teams will be an issue in this game given Holiday.

Lol are you actually attributing the teams rushing yards to his total? Yeah he sure did hand the ball of well.

BTW, yards don't matter if you can't score points which they didn't. Griffin was terrible that night. Tebow-Esque. 

Washington is ranked 30th and Denver is ranked 27th. PPG is the only stat that matters.

PPG doesn't nearly tell the entire story man...

Washington's defense completely shut down romo and the cowboys for the entire night, save the very first drive of the game... but washington still gave up 31 points (24 of which came from special teams blunders and RG3 fumbling on the 3 yard line).

Against Chicago, again the Redskins defense dominated Jay Cutler... the Bears had less than 40 yards of total offense in the first half while Jay Cutler was playing... they couldnt even manage a first down. Yet thanks to special teams and turnovers, they scored 17 points going into halftime. 

To say that "PPG is the only stat that matters" is somewhat ignorant of the totality of a game..

Also, keep in mind, Denver will be the 5th team Washington has played this year that has a top 10 offense in terms of yards per game... Denver has only played 1 other team with such an offense (Philadelphia)...

Lol are you actually attributing the teams rushing yards to his total? Yeah he sure did hand the ball of well.

BTW, yards don't matter if you can't score points which they didn't. Griffin was terrible that night. Tebow-Esque. 

Morris had 81 yards, Griff had 77. They both were keeping the D off-balance as they usually do when the O is running effectively. Griff by himself had more yardage then the total Dallas O. That is not terrible no matter how you look at it. They were not great in the red zone but heading into the fourth quarter it was a once score game until the special teams again let up a huge return that allowed Dallas to go up two scores. Like I said, it was Griff's best game coupled with last week which shows he is rounding into form which many thought would happen as he got more in sync with the O after missing the entire off-season and preseason.

PPG doesn't nearly tell the entire story man...

Washington's defense completely shut down romo and the cowboys for the entire night, save the very first drive of the game... but washington still gave up 31 points (24 of which came from special teams blunders and RG3 fumbling on the 3 yard line).

Against Chicago, again the Redskins defense dominated Jay Cutler... the Bears had less than 40 yards of total offense in the first half while Jay Cutler was playing... they couldnt even manage a first down. Yet thanks to special teams and turnovers, they scored 17 points going into halftime. 

To say that "PPG is the only stat that matters" is somewhat ignorant of the totality of a game..

Also, keep in mind, Denver will be the 5th team Washington has played this year that has a top 10 offense in terms of yards per game... Denver has only played 1 other team with such an offense (Philadelphia)...

This don't really change the argument though. Both special teams and defense are capable of giving up points. So regardless, the Redskins give up a ton of points because of the combination of defense/special. If you want to argue semantics that's fine, but its not like the Redskins special teams has improved any and the Broncos have on of the most dangerous return men in the league. 

The point is, that the Redskins are the 3rd worst scoring team (defense/special teams wise) in the league.

Morris had 81 yards, Griff had 77. They both were keeping the D off-balance as they usually do when the O is running effectively. Griff by himself had more yardage then the total Dallas O. That is not terrible no matter how you look at it. They were not great in the red zone but heading into the fourth quarter it was a once score game until the special teams again let up a huge return that allowed Dallas to go up two scores. Like I said, it was Griff's best game coupled with last week which shows he is rounding into form which many thought would happen as he got more in sync with the O after missing the entire off-season and preseason.

It was a one score game because the defense kept Washington is the game while they're offense was totally useless.

Comparing Griffin to Tebow in any manner leads me to believe you are just biased against the guy... 

Griffin has been put in a tough situation this year... coming back from a shredded knee, having a lousy defense, lousy special teams, and lousy offensive line... yet I think he's handled all the adversity extremely well, and it's evident he's reverting back to his 2012 form already..

I'll say this... out of the young dual threat guys out there... I don't think Kaepernick, Wilson, or Cam would have fared nearly as well as RG3 has in his situation. 

It was a one score game because the defense kept Washington is the game while they're offense was totally useless.

Like a broken record man. Again, you miss the whole point.

One question that will end this (at least I am hopeful it will). Was RG's performance the last two weeks better than his performance the first three weeks of the season? Yes or No answer please.

Geez Louise folks....we get it.  Some Colts fans absolutely HATE robert griffin, for whatever reason, and will argue until they're blue in the face as to why he's not a good quarterback.

I like all the young QBs.  Newton, Wilson, Griffin, Tannehill, Kaepernick, Dalton....hell even Geno Smith is showing flashes of one day being a good QB in the NFL.  I just wish some of you guys would just give it a rest already.

Comparing Griffin to Tebow in any manner leads me to believe you are just biased against the guy... 

Griffin has been put in a tough situation this year... coming back from a shredded knee, having a lousy defense, lousy special teams, and lousy offensive line... yet I think he's handled all the adversity extremely well, and it's evident he's reverting back to his 2012 form already..

I'll say this... out of the young dual threat guys out there... I don't think Kaepernick, Wilson, or Cam would have fared nearly as well as RG3 has in his situation. 

I didnt say he was anything like Tebow. I said his numbers vs the Cowboys were Tebow-like.

One question that will end this (at least I am hopeful it will). Was RG's performance the last two weeks better than his performance the first three weeks of the season? Yes or No answer please.

No his games vs Detroit and Oakland were better than his one vs the Cowboys. 

I take it you guys are bored.

What kind of attention should this game gets besides the usual Manning is God quotes?

Seriously???

This is the national TV game on CBS..Shanahan's return to Denver

..Two of the highest scoring teams in the NFL...and two of their highest profile QBs

This is a big time TV game...4:25 EST Sunday..the prime slot..

Big ratings grabber

Guest TeamLoloJones

He was great last week.  And vs. the Cowboys he had a rough night throwing, but he was very good running. As bad as he was vs. the Cowboys, I would say the Cowboys game still may be his 2nd best of the year, because his first 4 were just atrocious.

No his games vs Detroit and Oakland were better than his one vs the Cowboys. 

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24375501/broncos-prepare-redskins-healing-improving-robert-griffin-iii

Bolded choice quotes just for you ....

Broncos prepare for Redskins' healing, improving Robert Griffin III

By Joan Niesen

The Denver Post

Posted:   10/24/2013 12:01:00 AM MDT | Updated:   about 5 hours ago

A year and a half ago, when Peyton Manning traveled to Denver as a free agent, he was scheduled to meet with two parties: the Broncos and Mike Shanahan.

However, before the meeting with Shanahan, the former Broncos and current Washington Redskins coach, news broke of a trade. Washington had traded up to get the No. 2 pick in the 2012 draft, which the Redskins were sure to use on Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Robert Griffin III. They were out of the Manning sweepstakes, deciding to go with the future rather than take a risk on past greatness.

Now, one season, one playoff berth and one severe knee injury later, Griffin will arrive in Denver on the heels of his most impressive performance of 2013 in a 45-41 victory over Chicago last weekend.

The Denver Post's NFL reporters post analysis, notes and more on this blog focusing on the Broncos.

It can be a tricky thing, having a rookie season like Griffin's. After the former Baylor star ended the 2012 regular season with seven consecutive victories, it was easy to forget he had opened 3-6 and that he had losses when he rushed for only 7 and 8 yards.

It's a tricky thing, because finishing as he did, with his style and his personality, then suffering a devastating injury that he tried to play through in a playoff loss, Griffin seemed like something approaching perfect. Then, of course, he opened this season and was decidedly not, showing the effects of a reconstructed anterior cruciate ligament and repaired lateral collateral ligament in his right knee.

Griffin averaged only 18 rushing yards per game in his first four games, which included a 1-yard day against Green Bay.

But in the past two weeks, things have changed. Griffin had 77 yards rushing yards in a loss at Dallas and 84 in the victory over the Bears. Even if the sample size is small, Griffin seems to be turning a corner just in time for Washington's game Sunday against the Broncos.

"The last couple of games, he's gotten back to the way he was last year," Shanahan said Wednesday during a media conference call. "You can see that he's feeling better. I think every game will be the added reps you always want those young quarterbacks to have. The more you play, the better off you get. The game slows down for you."

So, no, Griffin isn't perfect yet. But he's certainly the focal point of the Broncos' defensive game plan. Denver coach John Fox said that from a mobility standpoint, Griffin is "scary," and if that wasn't true three weeks ago, it is now. Washington has designed more running plays for Griffin, and though he's averaging 291 yards passing this season, compared with his 200 a season ago, in recent weeks Griffin has gotten back to his run-first mentality when a play breaks down. In the first three weeks, when he threw for at least 300 yards in each game, the Redskins lost each game. Since then, Griffin has averaged 257 yards passing and raised his rushing numbers, and the Redskins have gone 2-1.

Broncos cornerback Chris Harris played against Griffin when they were Big 12 rivals at Kansas and Baylor. Harris knows Griffin's game, and he said the quarterback is a bigger threat as a runner now than he was in college. Harris has no doubt of the challenge he's about to face.

"He started out slower, but now he's almost back," Harris said. "I can tell from the way he looked versus the Bears, his running ability's coming back. He's getting more comfortable, and ... I can see their coaches are getting more comfortable with him running the ball."

So, maybe it's comfort, and maybe it's time. Griffin, for one, isn't attributing his team's recent success to any change in his style.

"I think it's just a matter of the team working better together," Griffin said Wednesday during a conference call. "The first couple weeks of the season, we were out of sync as a whole. Now we're putting together longer drives and getting a lot of yards out there and putting up points."

Washington's offense is on an uptick, and the Broncos have noticed. Griffin no longer is a pity case. He's a threat.

"Really, we just can't let him get out of the pocket and run," Harris said, glancing up at a television playing Redskins tape on loop. "Just like that."

Harris laughs and shrugs as the highlight reel shows Griffin dodging a defensive player and scrambling toward the sideline.

"He's running now."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24375501/broncos-prepare-redskins-healing-improving-robert-griffin-iii

Bolded choice quotes just for you ....

Broncos prepare for Redskins' healing, improving Robert Griffin III

By Joan Niesen

The Denver Post

Posted: 10/24/2013 12:01:00 AM MDT | Updated: about 5 hours ago

A year and a half ago, when Peyton Manning traveled to Denver as a free agent, he was scheduled to meet with two parties: the Broncos and Mike Shanahan.

However, before the meeting with Shanahan, the former Broncos and current Washington Redskins coach, news broke of a trade. Washington had traded up to get the No. 2 pick in the 2012 draft, which the Redskins were sure to use on Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Robert Griffin III. They were out of the Manning sweepstakes, deciding to go with the future rather than take a risk on past greatness.

Now, one season, one playoff berth and one severe knee injury later, Griffin will arrive in Denver on the heels of his most impressive performance of 2013 in a 45-41 victory over Chicago last weekend.

The Denver Post's NFL reporters post analysis, notes and more on this blog focusing on the Broncos.

It can be a tricky thing, having a rookie season like Griffin's. After the former Baylor star ended the 2012 regular season with seven consecutive victories, it was easy to forget he had opened 3-6 and that he had losses when he rushed for only 7 and 8 yards.

It's a tricky thing, because finishing as he did, with his style and his personality, then suffering a devastating injury that he tried to play through in a playoff loss, Griffin seemed like something approaching perfect. Then, of course, he opened this season and was decidedly not, showing the effects of a reconstructed anterior cruciate ligament and repaired lateral collateral ligament in his right knee.

Griffin averaged only 18 rushing yards per game in his first four games, which included a 1-yard day against Green Bay.

But in the past two weeks, things have changed. Griffin had 77 yards rushing yards in a loss at Dallas and 84 in the victory over the Bears. Even if the sample size is small, Griffin seems to be turning a corner just in time for Washington's game Sunday against the Broncos.

"The last couple of games, he's gotten back to the way he was last year," Shanahan said Wednesday during a media conference call. "You can see that he's feeling better. I think every game will be the added reps you always want those young quarterbacks to have. The more you play, the better off you get. The game slows down for you."

So, no, Griffin isn't perfect yet. But he's certainly the focal point of the Broncos' defensive game plan. Denver coach John Fox said that from a mobility standpoint, Griffin is "scary," and if that wasn't true three weeks ago, it is now. Washington has designed more running plays for Griffin, and though he's averaging 291 yards passing this season, compared with his 200 a season ago, in recent weeks Griffin has gotten back to his run-first mentality when a play breaks down. In the first three weeks, when he threw for at least 300 yards in each game, the Redskins lost each game. Since then, Griffin has averaged 257 yards passing and raised his rushing numbers, and the Redskins have gone 2-1.

Broncos cornerback Chris Harris played against Griffin when they were Big 12 rivals at Kansas and Baylor. Harris knows Griffin's game, and he said the quarterback is a bigger threat as a runner now than he was in college. Harris has no doubt of the challenge he's about to face.

"He started out slower, but now he's almost back," Harris said. "I can tell from the way he looked versus the Bears, his running ability's coming back. He's getting more comfortable, and ... I can see their coaches are getting more comfortable with him running the ball."

So, maybe it's comfort, and maybe it's time. Griffin, for one, isn't attributing his team's recent success to any change in his style.

"I think it's just a matter of the team working better together," Griffin said Wednesday during a conference call. "The first couple weeks of the season, we were out of sync as a whole. Now we're putting together longer drives and getting a lot of yards out there and putting up points."

Washington's offense is on an uptick, and the Broncos have noticed. Griffin no longer is a pity case. He's a threat.

"Really, we just can't let him get out of the pocket and run," Harris said, glancing up at a television playing Redskins tape on loop. "Just like that."

Harris laughs and shrugs as the highlight reel shows Griffin dodging a defensive player and scrambling toward the sideline.

"He's running now."

wow a coach is talking up his player. Stop the presses.

he had a bad game vs the cowboys and nothing in that quote disputes it.

wow a coach is talking up his player. Stop the presses.

he had a bad game vs the cowboys and nothing in that quote disputes it.

lol. man. Shanny and Griff said what I have been saying the whole time. Griff and the O look better the last two games then they did the first few weeks of the season. That is not talking up anything. They flat out admitted that the O was bad the first few games of the season. No one said Griff had a great game against the Cowboys but he looked better, more like last seasons's Griff in that game then the others and O was more in sync. And then last week he took another step with a much better passing game combined with the rushing yardage. Like I said, he is rounding into form like most expected ...

lol. man. Shanny and Griff said what I have been saying the whole time. Griff and the O look better the last two games then they did the first few weeks of the season. That is not talking up anything. They flat out admitted that the O was bad the first few games of the season. No one said Griff had a great game against the Cowboys but he looked better, more like last seasons's Griff in that game then the others and O was more in sync. And then last week he took another step with a much better passing game combined with the rushing yardage. Like I said, he is rounding into form like most expected ...

the thing is, RG3's mobility or the threat of his mobility completely opens up the offense... 

RG3 can rush for 5 yards a game, but if defenses have to start respecting his threat of running... then shanahan will carve up their defense one way or another... 

in the first few weeks, no one respect RG3's threat to run... so defenses could just tee off on him in the pocket because his awful receivers arent good at getting separation (save for garcon)

Some of you guys are really weird.  Putting so much time into not liking somebody isn't healthy...LOL.

all kidding aside, its all good.  Some Colts fans hate RG3.  hell, I'm sure some Redskins fans hate Luck.  It is what it is.  Both are great talents and will only improve with time. 

Go Indy!  :td: 

the thing is, RG3's mobility or the threat of his mobility completely opens up the offense... 

RG3 can rush for 5 yards a game, but if defenses have to start respecting his threat of running... then shanahan will carve up their defense one way or another... 

Yeah that is why they had to get back to running more. Hopefully he stays healthy all season. But their O is explosive with the dual threat. I think this game with Denver will be fun. I think the skins D will play better then most expect but their SPs are just awful. That part has to get fixed fast.

RK PLAYER TEAM COMP ATT PCT YDS YDS/A LONG TD INT SACK RATE YDS/G

19 Andrew Luck, QB IND 136 224 60.7 1,574 7.03 73 10 3 15 91.3 225

11 Robert Griffin III, QB WSH 143 238 60.1 1,746 7.34 45 8 6 11 83.4 291

Andrew Luck 10 TD's to 3INT's has been a lot more efficient than RG3 8TD's 6INT's

everything else they are pretty much even...

this actually shocked me... with all the media attention on RG3, I thought he'd be having a disastrous Eli Manning or Joe Flacco type of year... he's actually been putting up solid numbers

Andrew Luck 10 TD's to 3INT's has been a lot more efficient than RG3 8TD's 6INT's

this actually shocked me... with all the media attention on RG3, I thought he'd be having a disastrous Eli Manning or Joe Flacco type of year... he's actually been putting up solid numbers

What are the first half stats? Bob has faves a bunch of prevent in the second half this season. Much easier to move the ball down the field against a prevent defense

Guest TeamLoloJones

What are the first half stats? Bob has faves a bunch of prevent in the second half this season. Much easier to move the ball down the field against a prevent defense

Luck also has 3 rushing TDs and Griffin has ZERO.  Griffin is beating Luck in one category though.  FUMBLES

I think the only game he faced prevent was against the Packers... i dont think he faced prevent against the bears, cowboys, raiders, or lions....

and even though they got down by 20 against the eagles.. if i remember correctly (had a few beers during that MNF game.. lol), then game was decided by an onside kick with about 2 minutes left... I don't see why philly would be in prevent with the game legitimately on the line

Luck also has 3 rushing TDs and Griffin has ZERO.  Griffin is beating Luck in one category though.  FUMBLES

to be fair, griffin just began running over the course of the last 2 games.. and is just now gaining confidence in his previously shredded knee.... i dont think rushing numbers are an argument we'd want to hold too tightly for the sake of benefiting future arguments for luck's sake

I think compared to last year Griff has fallen a lot because he only threw 5 or 6 picks ALL season. No way he was going to match that again coming off of major knee surgery. You are right though his numbers are not Eli-like at all. If his D was even half good to start the season and his special teams were not atrocious, he could easily have 4 wins instead of 2 ...