Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning or Luck, who is the better leader?

tonychen

I know human psychology too...It was my Major in college. But I don't go boasting around here like I know what all of you are thinking.

Protective of our own? These are multi million dollar athletes we are talking about....LOL

This is sports and entertainment........ sports and entertainment. So I will forever be greatful to Peyton and the Colts for giving me something to look forward to during football sunday....competition.

Believe me if Peyton ever said anything like that about any of the Colts or the owner.or to other teams..I would still say he is one of the greatest but that was bush league.

One of the things that I am so greatful for in Andrew Luck, is not only his skill and talent, but also his background and his values. He is the company guy and the ultimate team player.

I feel as a Colts fan, Dang how LUCKY (no pun intended) could we be. Two quality QB's back to back. I don't need to knock Peyton to appreciate Luck. I sure wasn't complaining when Peyton was here..so I am not going to start whining now.

I don't need to compare Luck to Peyton or say one is better.

Again. I was speaking "you" in general terms. As most Colts fans, myself included have a blind spot for Colts players I.E "Our own." Not putting words in your mouth and I certainly don't know you personally.

Your taking my statements with much more "telling you how you feel" then I intended lol.

Very cool about graduating with a Psych degree. Did you attend grad school?

I know human psychology too...It was my Major in college. But I don't go boasting around here like I know what all of you are thinking.

Protective of our own? These are multi million dollar athletes we are talking about....LOL

This is sports and entertainment........ sports and entertainment.  So I will forever be greatful to Peyton and the Colts for giving me something to look forward to during football sunday....competition.

Believe me if Peyton ever said anything like that about any of the Colts or the owner.or to other teams..I would still say he is one of the greatest but that was bush league.

One of the things that I am so greatful for in Andrew Luck, is not only his skill and talent, but also his background and his values.  He is the company guy and the ultimate team player.

I feel as a Colts fan, Dang how LUCKY (no pun intended) could we be.  Two quality QB's back to back.  I don't need to knock Peyton to appreciate Luck. I sure wasn't complaining when Peyton was here..so I am not going to start whining now.

I don't need to compare Luck to Peyton or say one is better. 

Not much of a home coming for Peyton at all. First Irsay's comments, then Matthias and of course the beat down on the field. But as alwasy Peyton handled himself with class.

One of them is considered one of the greatest of all time and has led a franchise to the most consecutive winning seasons in history. The other is an up and coming second year guy. Come on now, these comparisons are just silly.

Although I think this thread is silly , you are missing the point. It wasn't a comparison of QB skill or greatness , it was just a question of which has better leadership qualities. One could make a case that some of Manning's "mannerisms " in games and remarks after games might not have made him a favorite with some team mates. On the other hand I think Luck is a guy that would rather jump in front of a bus rather than throw a teammate under one. So it could be a fair argument that he might be a better leader. Certainly not a better QB but I don't think anyone is saying that.

on Mathis, i was so happy he had  agreat game but he was so disrepectfull to be honest. First of all to an ex teammate who supposed to be a friend, Manning had nothing but nice words for him and if thats peytons broncos and 52 other man...where was he when he was another guy of the 52 colts? why didnt he stepped up there?

Why do feel feel compelled to try so hard to elevate Luck at Peyton's expense? 

Your entire pretense is ridiculous, and the highlighted part is offensive.

The fact that Mathis's interview made it sound like he resented Peyton when he was on the Colts - after a game in which he pinned his arms and plowed him face first into the turf (which I view as an attempt to injure), and then didn't seek him out to shake is hand after the game - is something that reflects poorly on Mathis, not on Manning. It's not about Luck being a better leader, it's about Mathis having an attitude - something that anyone watching the postgame gathering noticed that Bethea (for example) clearly doesn't share.

Interesting take on a DE executing a strip sack. I guess a Colt fan would think that he went for the arm to dislodge the ball , while a Bronco -Manning fan would think it was to inflict pain. I've seen Mathis make that same kind of effort for over 10 years and this is the first time I've ever seen anyone ,another player , talking head , sports writer , fan.. accuse him of being a dirty player. Nor do I remember him ever being fined . Nor do I even remember him being penalized for anything that resembled a "dirty hit" in a football game. 

Although I think this thread is silly , you are missing the point. It wasn't a comparison of QB skill or greatness , it was just a question of which has better leadership qualities. One could make a case that some of Manning's "mannerisms " in games and remarks after games might not have made him a favorite with some team mates. On the other hand I think Luck is a guy that would rather jump in front of a bus rather than throw a teammate under one. So it could be a fair argument that he might be a better leader. Certainly not a better QB but I don't think anyone is saying that.

I'm not missing the point. A guy doesn't carry a subpar team on his back for 12 years without a lot of leadership. Sure he may have been a perfectionist but some view that as a leadership quality. You don't have to say,  " It's all my fault" just to be a leader. Holding guys accountable is also a great sign of leadership.

I'm not missing the point. A guy doesn't carry a subpar team on his back for 12 years without a lot of leadership. Sure he may have been a perfectionist but some view that as a leadership quality. You don't have to say,  " It's all my fault" just to be a leader. Holding guys accountable is also a great sign of leadership.

No... you said you couldn't compare the two guys as one is an all time great and the other is a second year guy. I said you miss the point as we are only taking about leadership traits. I could possibly be a better leader than Peyton Manning. Now if you are talking about who is a better QB , then you were correct. So no... you missed the point or just couldn't understand it.

No... you said you couldn't compare the two guys as one is an all time great and the other is a second year guy. I said you miss the point as we are only taking about leadership traits. I could possibly be a better leader than Peyton Manning. Now if you are talking about who is a better QB , then you were correct. So no... you missed the point or just couldn't understand it.

Again...all time great who has been leading since the other guy was in diapers. Time has at least a little to do with the discussion. Sure you could be a better leader but you haven't been the quarterback of the Indianapolis Colts so that has nothing to do with what we are talking about here. I understand the question completely.

Again...all time great who has been leading since the other guy was in diapers. Time has at least a little to do with the discussion. Sure you could be a better leader but you haven't been the quarterback of the Indianapolis Colts so that has nothing to do with what we are talking about here. I understand the question completely.

I'm afraid you don't. Dan Marino was a great QB that probably was half the leader that RB3 is. I say RG3 as he is said to have outstanding leadership qualities. Luck , according to teammates also has them. Dosen't really matter how long a guy is in the league . Manning has had some good things said in respect to this . Mostly that he works so hard and leads by example. He also has had a few on the negative side also. Many teammates didn't appreciate him throwing his offensive line under the us a few years back. Myself , I dont know who the better leader is . I would think that Luck is the more liked guy but that is just a part of that overall picture. Anyway other than respect for a player for being in the league 14 years  (you don't even mention that ) there is nothing much that would equate time with leadership qualities.

Not much of a home coming for Peyton at all. First Irsay's comments, then Matthias and of course the beat down on the field. But as alwasy Peyton handled himself with class.

Mathis was probably annoyed with hearing how the Broncos and Manning were going to lay 60-70 points on them as punishment for Irasy making "insulting remarks." 

I'm afraid you don't. Dan Marino was a great QB that probably was half the leader that RB3 is. I say RG3 as he is said to have outstanding leadership qualities. Luck , according to teammates also has them. Dosen't really matter how long a guy is in the league . Manning has had some good things said in respect to this . Mostly that he works so hard and leads by example. He also has had a few on the negative side also. Many teammates didn't appreciate him throwing his offensive line under the us a few years back. Myself , I dont know who the better leader is . I would think that Luck is the more liked guy but that is just a part of that overall picture. Anyway other than respect for a player for being in the league 14 years  (you don't even mention that ) there is nothing much that would equate time with leadership qualities.

It's not about him being in the league for 14 years. If you can't see what I'm seeing then you are just ignoring it or we have quite a different perception of things lol. There will always be some negative, especially in 14 years....whose to say Andy doesn't throw someone under the bus in year three or five? He is a nice guy and has that sort of attitude that people like but that wouldn't make him an automatically better leader. Do guys want to play with him? Yes, of course. The same can be said of Manning. But if we are trying to compare the two in leadership terms....well the scales tip favorably to one side. I'm sure 12 will be just as good a leader someday but right now it's not close. And yes I get your Marino/Griffin comparison and that is why the number of years in the league doesn't completely matter. Looking at the body of work and accomplishments of a certain Peyton Manning though....there is a lot of leadership combined with that skill.

It's not about him being in the league for 14 years. If you can't see what I'm seeing then you are just ignoring it or we have quite a different perception of things lol. There will always be some negative, especially in 14 years....whose to say Andy doesn't throw someone under the bus in year three or five? He is a nice guy and has that sort of attitude that people like but that wouldn't make him an automatically better leader. Do guys want to play with him? Yes, of course. The same can be said of Manning. But if we are trying to compare the two in leadership terms....well the scales tip favorably to one side. I'm sure 12 will be just as good a leader someday but right now it's not close. And yes I get your Marino/Griffin comparison and that is why the number of years in the league doesn't completely matter. Looking at the body of work and accomplishments of a certain Peyton Manning though....there is a lot of leadership combined with that skill.

How about we just call it a stupid question that is loaded with intangibles ? 

On another note , what is the talk in Houston regarding the QB situation ? Here's something I found a while ago.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24111991/case-keenum-could-get-prolonged-look-as-houston-texans-starting-qb

Basically Kubiak is trying to decide whether he wants to start Schaub or Keenum in the game against us. All the fans want Keenum to start.

On another note , what is the talk in Houston regarding the QB situation ? Here's something I found a while ago.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24111991/case-keenum-could-get-prolonged-look-as-houston-texans-starting-qb

Like IS said, Kubiak is going to evaluate the situation over the next two weeks and eventually come to a decision. I think Keenum played more than well enough to get the nod but Schaub still gives us a good chance to win. I don't know how the HC will handle things and who he will choose but I believe he'll make the right choice. He was a back-up QB himself once.

Like IS said, Kubiak is going to evaluate the situation over the next two weeks and eventually come to a decision. I think Keenum played more than well enough to get the nod but Schaub still gives us a good chance to win. I don't know how the HC will handle things and who he will choose but I believe he'll make the right choice. He was a back-up QB himself once.

All the other Texans fans want Kubiak to go with Keenum.

All the other Texans fans want Kubiak to go with Keenum.

That would be typical fan reaction. They are always quick to want a QB change. I thought Keenum played better than Schaub did in his last start , so I would lean towards wanting to see Schaub get the start. This will be the 2nd time in three games we go on the road and play a team that is dead with another loss. Will be a tough game. I guess we really went off topic but the the thread  stunk like bad feet anyway.

Don't be a *... who do you want to see Kubiak go with.

My deleted word is a cat that is an old lady's pet

Don't be a *... who do you want to see Kubiak go with.

My deleted word is a cat that is an old lady's pet

I like Case. He got his chance and he shined. I'm not one of those people that have given up on Schaub but I want to see Case start again this next game.

I like Case. He got his chance and he shined. I'm not one of those people that have given up on Schaub but I want to see Case start again this next game.

You also run the risk of shattering Schaub if you sit him in favor of the third string guy. But the NFL is all about wins so I get it if Kubiak goes with the hot hand ala Jim Harbaugh when he started Kaep over a healthy Smith.

You also run the risk of shattering Schaub if you sit him in favor of the third string guy. But the NFL is all about wins so I get it if Kubiak goes with the hot hand ala Jim Harbaugh when he started Kaep over a healthy Smith.

True, which is why I would support Schaub getting back in as well. I want him to be the starter. But having a guy in the line-up who the Colts have never game planned for or faced would give us even more of an advantage. Plus Case is not that bad at quarterback himself.

Guest TeamLoloJones

True, which is why I would support Schaub getting back in as well. I want him to be the starter. But having a guy in the line-up who the Colts have never game planned for or faced would give us even more of an advantage. Plus Case is not that bad at quarterback himself.

I agree with you...but I feel that Case played as good as he could have against KC.  I think he deserves a chance to start the next game.  Until it's glaringly obvious that Case is not the guy for Houston, I think the smart long term choice is to see what Keenum can do.

I agree with you...but I feel that Case played as good as he could have against KC.  I think he deserves a chance to start the next game.  Until it's glaringly obvious that Case is not the guy for Houston, I think the smart long term choice is to see what Keenum can do.

Yeah, but his biggest asset proved to be his downfall that game as well. It was a great first start and I think if he outplays the still-hurt Schaub in practice then he will get the nod. I don't see Kubiak starting Schaub anyway if he isn't completely healed.