Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A total team loss

SilentHill

I've had some time to digress and soak in the loss from yesterday.

One glaring weak spot though was the play calling in the 2nd half.

From what I've seen play action by pep means sending out 3 WR, and a RB to pass block with a quick little "fake" that no one on the field is going to buy. When we sent out 6 offensive linemen in the I formation we ran it every time. I Don't know the percentage, but it felt like we ran it on 1st down every time, very predictable. Every time we lined up in the 2nd half I was able to decipher the play type (Run or pass) just based on the formation. There was no deception.

I should not be able to do that, and if I can that means the defense see's it too.

Another problem was the secondary and busted coverages by our Secondary. There is no excuse. We run with potential pro-bowlers at FS, SS, RCB, and LCB. I expect MUCH better play out of them. They should be one of the best in the league.

Sure the o-line was weak, but that is nothing new. The d-line let some runs through, but that is nothing new. Luck had a few bad passes, but mostly due to pressure.

If we are going to beat SF Something needs to change, because whatever we are doing is not working with us barely beating the Raiders and us barely losing to the Dolphins.

Big plays killed us.  I thought DL played well against the run and pass, but coverage was just flat.  Couldn't stop a parked car yesterday.  I don't think it's as bad as everyone's knee jerk reactions suggest (and I'm not saying yours is over the top by any means - I agree with alot of what you said), but it does have to play better than it did yesterday.  Our pass blockign from the OL was good for most of the game, Luck just held on to the ball too long.  He looked pretty antsy back there late in the game when his first read wasn't open, pump faking in hesitation rather than with purpose.  Then he was like a deer in head lights and uncertain of whether to pass or run, and hesitations like that will kill you, no matter how good the protection is.  I will say that pass blocking out of the backs and TEs could have been better.

It has become painfully apparent that our offense is quite predictable. I believe talent has offset the predictability to the extent that we are successfully moving the ball between the twenties but a flawed scheme is preventing us from reaping the full reward of the players efforts. That said, the offensive line is suffering from a ridiculous talent deficit that probably can't be corrected very quickly. Improved upon? Sure. Corrected? Not till next year. The predictability of the offense however can and should be addressed immediately. Our second half offensive performance smacks of being out-coached. I'm certainly not panicking after just two games but only a fool or a blind man would be unable to see this problem.

Big plays killed us.  I thought DL played well against the run and pass, but coverage was just flat.  Couldn't stop a parked car yesterday.  I don't think it's as bad as everyone's knee jerk reactions suggest (and I'm not saying yours is over the top by any means - I agree with alot of what you said), but it does have to play better than it did yesterday.  Our pass blockign from the OL was good for most of the game, Luck just held on to the ball too long.  He looked pretty antsy back there late in the game when his first read wasn't open, pump faking in hesitation rather than with purpose.  Then he was like a deer in head lights and uncertain of whether to pass or run, and hesitations like that will kill you, no matter how good the protection is.  I will say that pass blocking out of the backs and TEs could have been better.

I don't think it's a knee jerk reaction as much as it is was a complete exposure of our team. Let's hope that the SF film room is broken this week.