Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Playing Pryor is NOT good practice for CK or RW

Smonroe

I agree with much of what you say, but on this I have to disagree.  Obviously they are two completely different players.  But it gives our guys experience against a mobile read option QB.  Yeah, one guys skill set may be different htan the other, but if anything, it's better practice than playing say Tom Brady who gives us no experience in terms of learning how to defend a mobile read option QB. 

It may not be "good" experience or the most yielding experience, but any practice is still better than no practice.  And any film on yourself against this style of QB is going to go along way as opposed to teams who have played the 49ers.  Knowing your weaknesses against that style of QB will help you to game plan better against the next one (i.e. 49ers) than just simply digesting plays already ran by and against the 49ers.

Sure, it's better practice than playing a pocket passer, no doubt about that.

I probably wasn't real clear on the point I was trying to make.  I don't think our D will play the same against the other mobile QBs.  IMO, they were more concerned with containing Pryor than going all out on a rush.  They wanted to force his hand, make him a passer.

I don't think that's the same strategy we'll use against Wilson or Kap.  We're going to have to rush them, with the intent to sack.  They may break contain on some of those but it will still be better than letting them stand back there and pick us apart.

I agree that we may have gained some experience in attempting to contain a mobile QB in the Raiders game, but I'm still not sure that's really going to apply against Seattle or SF.

You're correct, and he's probably faster than Vick at this point.  Pryor ran between a 4.31 and 4.41 not that long ago.  Vick's 4.25 was a while back.  Maybe 10 or so years ago?

every 40 Im reading on Vick from a while back says 4.33, Pryor was a 4.36....... Griffins was 4.38 , I still think game speed Griffins faster

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7617590/robert-griffin-iii-fastest-qb-combine-runs-441-40

every 40 Im reading on Vick from a while back says 4.33, Pryor was a 4.36....... Griffins was 4.38 , I still think game speed Griffins faster

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7617590/robert-griffin-iii-fastest-qb-combine-runs-441-40

I think RG3 is quicker on darting moves.  Pryor has that long gliding stride where he just doesn't look as fast as he's moving.  That fooled many teams when he was at OSU.

This is from Vick's Wiki page, and we all know that's not exactly the most accurate source:

"At his Pro Day workout, Vick ran the 40-yard dash in 4.33 seconds; his time has been clocked as low as 4.25, the fastest-ever for an NFL quarterback."

Its like you don`t watch players. lol

If you look at the combine numbers then Harvey is the fastest more agile LB. Maybe that is why Harvey is one of the best ST players. Harvey's problem is knowing his responsibilies on the defense. Question is do you watch players? lol.

If you look at the combine numbers then Harvey is the fastest more agile LB. Maybe that is why Harvey is one of the best ST players. Harvey's problem is knowing his responsibilies on the defense. Question is do you watch players? lol.

I had high hopes for Harvey beginning with his play last season. I saw a burst and some athleticism in his pass rush.

Looking for someone/anyone that can keep Angerer off the field.

Having watched him in detail this season, i see his speed is straight ahead. He may actually be slower and less athletic than Angerer (if possible) in coverage. Lateral movement is just OK, his backpedal is not good and if he gets turned to chase, his 1st few steps may be the slowest I have ever seen. So bad I couldn`t believe what I was seeing, it was actually comical.

He has some power and has showed some burst when he anticpates well, he does fit being in for short yardage and of course playing specials teams is a must for him.

Its Ok, most Homers don`t see all that stuff.

I had high hopes for Harvey beginning with his play last season. I saw a burst and some athleticism in his pass rush.

Looking for someone/anyone that can keep Angerer off the field.

Having watched him in detail this season, i see his speed is straight ahead. He may actually be slower and less athletic than Angerer (if possible) in coverage. Lateral movement is just OK, his backpedal is not good and if he gets turned to chase, his 1st few steps may be the slowest I have ever seen. So bad I couldn`t believe what I was seeing, it was actually comical.

He has some power and has showed some burst when he anticpates well, he does fit being in for short yardage and of course playing specials teams is a must for him.

Its Ok, most Homers don`t see all that stuff.

Harvey:4.46f,4.19s,7.13c.  Angerer: 4.64f,4.23s,7.04c. Both have outstanding athleticism. Angerer, imo , does not show power in his hits as it seems he makes drag down tackles. Angerer's injuries will probably take him off the field. Harvey added about 10lbs since college. Harvey to me doesn't seem to understand angles. Neither player imo will be the one for our monster defense. We need a dominant ILB that is not on the 53 yet.

Harvey:4.46f,4.19s,7.13c.  Angerer: 4.64f,4.23s,7.04c. Both have outstanding athleticism. Angerer, imo , does not show power in his hits as it seems he makes drag down tackles. Angerer's injuries will probably take him off the field. Harvey added about 10lbs since college. Harvey to me doesn't seem to understand angles. Neither player imo will be the one for our monster defense. We need a dominant ILB that is not on the 53 yet.

Like many, some of their athleticism doesn`t show up in pads.

I`ve always enjoyed, was even thrilled with Pat`s tackling. He shows poor ability to get off a block. Kinda Rob Morris bad, IMO.

That just doesn`t work in the 3/4 part of our D. He can play back in pass protection and tackle a guy in front of him after the catch pretty well. He is about a 3 on 10 scale if he has to chase. Wish it weren`t so.

Luke Kuechly kinda guy would be nice. :yay:

Again, anything behind Mario and its so bad its comical. They will try hard not to put him in that situation.

Play ball.

I think RG3 is quicker on darting moves.  Pryor has that long gliding stride where he just doesn't look as fast as he's moving.  That fooled many teams when he was at OSU.

This is from Vick's Wiki page, and we all know that's not exactly the most accurate source:

"At his Pro Day workout, Vick ran the 40-yard dash in 4.33 seconds; his time has been clocked as low as 4.25, the fastest-ever for an NFL quarterback."

I didn't get Vicks 40 from wiki though, I got it from an article a while back from John Clayton

Like many, some of their athleticism doesn`t show up in pads.

I`ve always enjoyed, was even thrilled with Pat`s tackling. He shows poor ability to get off a block. Kinda Rob Morris bad, IMO.

That just doesn`t work in the 3/4 part of our D. He can play back in pass protection and tackle a guy in front of him after the catch pretty well. He is about a 3 on 10 scale if he has to chase. Wish it weren`t so.

Luke Kuechly kinda guy would be nice. :yay:

Again, anything behind Mario and its so bad its comical. They will try hard not to put him in that situation.

Play ball.

Pats a drag down tackler who often cant get players down by himself, Thats why many of his tackles are assisted, I agree with Mario in coverage, Its not always bad but when it is bad its really bad. we need a guy like Harvey who can get off blocks to stick next to Freeman...But at the end of the day its only week 1, who know how Harvey will be come week 16 or Sheppard

Pats a drag down tackler who often cant get players down by himself, Thats why many of his tackles are assisted, I agree with Mario in coverage, Its not always bad but when it is bad its really bad. we need a guy like Harvey who can get off blocks to stick next to Freeman...But at the end of the day its only week 1, who know how Harvey will be come week 16 or Sheppard

Ya play with who ya got. LB`er is definitely a position where a high FB IQ can make up for a lot.

Playing time man. This week should look better.

Pryor is a better runner than Kaepernick and Wilson, but he's nowhere near as accurate a passer as either.

Our D plan was to try to make him throw.  It looked like, while we were trying to apply pressure, it was more to force him to make a decision than to get to him.  

This D gameplan obviously will not be as effective against either the Hawks or the Niners.  Both are better balanced teams with more seasoned QBs.

I'm not saying we can't beat those teams.  I'm just tired of hearing how playing against Pryor is going to get us ready for those two teams.

I agree.  Other than building up cardio, there was not a whole lot to learn.  Some yes (they did run the read option at times), but not a lot.  What do you learn from chasing a guy that's playing like he's in his backyard and drawing up plays in the dirt?

I agree.  Other than building up cardio, there was not a whole lot to learn.  Some yes (they did run the read option at times), but not a lot.  What do you learn from chasing a guy that's playing like he's in his backyard and drawing up plays in the dirt?

:funny:

Pryor reminds of Matt Jones without the crack. Like Jones, I thought Pryor could've been a standout WR with the size/speed he brings to the table. He's got the right attitude and work ethic to improve at QB, at least.