Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My take on the 2013 Indianapolis Colts so far

BlueShoe

My take on the 2013 Indianapolis Colts so far:

As I make my best guess at playing Tuesday morning GM, here are my thoughts.

The addition of Hasselbeck makes only carrying 2 quarterbacks on the roster a much easier decision. The coaches know much better than I do, but Harnish does not appear to be developing and is not worth a roster spot. (2)

I think we will keep a total of 5 backs; Bradshaw, Ballard, Brown, Williams, and Havili. (5)

Keeping 4 tight ends makes sense because of current injuries and the need to have a backup fullback. We do not know how often Fleener will be on the shelf and Allen also has been banged up. I like what I have seen from Cunningham and he looks like a beast on the field. Jones could be let go later if needed, but it makes perfect sense for him to make the initial 53 man roster. (4)

I think that Whalen and Reed both make the team and we keep 5 receivers until Brazil has served his suspension. At that time injuries issues could make decisions easier for us. Reed has an NFL career kickoff return average of over 29 and we could use that. (5)

I see us keeping 9 offense linemen with the starters; Castonzo, Thomas, Satele, Thornton, and Gosder. Backups; Reitz, Holmes, McGlynn, and Linkenbach. Does it matter that I penciled in Thornton at RG so early? It is inevitable anyway. I would like to stash Thomas and Cleary on the practice squad. At this time I do not like Ijalana’s chances. It is tough to give up on second round picks, but maybe it is time to cut the line loose and find a new pond to fish in. (9)

25 total on offense.

Our starting secondary is impressive; Davis, Toler, Butler, Bethea, and Landry. Vaughn and Gordy should round out the corners. Howell and Brown make sense to keep, but this is tough to predict. Howell played the first 6 quarters of the preseason so the coaches must see something in him. Lefeged did not help himself off the field and can’t seem to stay healthy enough to be on the field. The obvious and most likely move is to send Boyett to IR. Marshay Green has flashed several reasons to sign to the practice squad. Another team might grab him though. I say that because a few years ago Marshay would have likely made the Colts final 53, and maybe have even become our starting nickel. Our secondary has come a long way, but Pagano paved his way in the secondary so this should be no real surprise to us. (9)

Our linebackers have the possibility to be the best unit we have ever fielded in Indianapolis. I see Mathis and Walden starting on the outside and Angerer and Freeman on the inside. Conner will be our primary inside backup. It is a tough call between Sheppard and Harvey. I am leaning towards Sheppard if he is healthy, but Harvey is also worthy. Rayford has more than earned a spot on this roster and we could send Sidbury packing. I believe we will bring Werner along slowly much as we did Freeney back in the Dungy era. I have no clue which linebackers will make the practice squad as we just have not seen enough of them. Maybe that will become clearer on Thursday night. (8)

Ricky-Jean, Franklin, and Redding make the most sense to start; backed up by Chapman, Nevis, Moala, Mathews, and Hughes. Guy could make the team, but the numbers are not in his favor unless there is an injury. (8)

25 total on defense.

I am sure there will be some surprises, and also new players we pick up from other teams (making final cuts) that will change the dynamics of our final 53 man roster, but this is one fans view with absolutely no final say in the front office.

The addition of Hasselbeck makes only carrying 2 quarterbacks on the roster a much easier decision. The coaches know much better than I do, but Harnish does not appear to be developing and is not worth a roster spot. (2)

I think we will keep a total of 5 backs; Bradshaw, Ballard, Brown, Williams, and Havili. (5)

Keeping 4 tight ends makes sense because of current injuries and the need to have a backup fullback. We do not know how often Fleener will be on the shelf and Allen also has been banged up. I like what I have seen from Cunningham and he looks like a beast on the field. Jones could be let go later if needed, but it makes perfect sense for him to make the initial 53 man roster. (4)

I think that Whalen and Reed both make the team and we keep 5 receivers until Brazil has served his suspension. At that time injuries issues could make decisions easier for us. Reed has an NFL career kickoff return average of over 29 and we could use that. (5)

I see us keeping 9 offense linemen with the starters; Castonzo, Thomas, Satele, Thornton, and Gosder. Backups; Reitz, Holmes, McGlynn, and Linkenbach. Does it matter that I penciled in Thornton at RG so early? It is inevitable anyway. I would like to stash Thomas and Cleary on the practice squad. At this time I do not like Ijalana’s chances. It is tough to give up on second round picks, but maybe it is time to cut the line loose and find a new pond to fish in. (9)

25 total on offense.

Our starting secondary is impressive; Davis, Toler, Butler, Bethea, and Landry. Vaughn and Gordy should round out the corners. Howell and Brown make sense to keep, but this is tough to predict. Howell played the first 6 quarters of the preseason so the coaches must see something in him. Lefeged did not help himself off the field and can’t seem to stay healthy enough to be on the field. The obvious and most likely move is to send Boyett to IR. Marshay Green has flashed several reasons to sign to the practice squad. Another team might grab him though. I say that because a few years ago Marshay would have likely made the Colts final 53, and maybe have even become our starting nickel. Our secondary has come a long way, but Pagano paved his way in the secondary so this should be no real surprise to us. (9)

Our linebackers have the possibility to be the best unit we have ever fielded in Indianapolis. I see Mathis and Walden starting on the outside and Angerer and Freeman on the inside. Conner will be our primary inside backup. It is a tough call between Sheppard and Harvey. I am leaning towards Sheppard if he is healthy, but Harvey is also worthy. Rayford has more than earned a spot on this roster and we could send Sidbury packing. I believe we will bring Werner along slowly much as we did Freeney back in the Dungy era. I have no clue which linebackers will make the practice squad as we just have not seen enough of them. Maybe that will become clearer on Thursday night. (8)

Ricky-Jean, Franklin, and Redding make the most sense to start; backed up by Chapman, Nevis, Moala, Mathews, and Hughes. Guy could make the team, but the numbers are not in his favor unless there is an injury. (8)

25 total on defense.

I am sure there will be some surprises, and also new players we pick up from other teams (making final cuts) that will change the dynamics of our final 53 man roster, but this is one fans view with absolutely no final say in the front office.

You have Thomas going to the practice squad. Who would be the guy you meant ?

I don't think we keep 4 TE's. Probably carry 3 on the 53 and have another on the PS. Not that carrying 4 is a bad idea but I think the 4th TE we would carry would be a far less talented player than the one that doesn't make it cause we went 4 TE.

Harnish has not looked good as you say , but unless the Colts think they can find a better No 3 on waivers , he goes to the PS for sure. Also don't forget that if the Colts decide to find another No 3 QB they have to pick up one and put on the 53. Or they have to find a PS eligible guy that another team does not want on their PS. Sp far better off just waiving Harnish and then resigning to the PS.

You have Thomas going to the practice squad. Who would be the guy you meant ?

I don't think we keep 4 TE's. Probably carry 3 on the 53 and have another on the PS. Not that carrying 4 is a bad idea but I think the 4th TE we would carry would be a far less talented player than the one that doesn't make it cause we went 4 TE.

Harnish has not looked good as you say , but unless the Colts think they can find a better No 3 on waivers , he goes to the PS for sure. Also don't forget that if the Colts decide to find another No 3 QB they have to pick up one and put on the 53. Or they have to find a PS eligible guy that another team does not want on their PS. Sp far better off just waiving Harnish and then resigning to the PS.

Thomas Austin.

With 2 injured tight ends, we really need to keep 4 for now.

I doubt Harnish is eligible for the practice squad.

Thomas Austin.

With 2 injured tight ends, we really need to keep 4 for now.

I doubt Harnish is eligible for the practice squad.

Harnish is eligible. He's never played a snap in the regular season. There is other criteria for it but him having not played a down completely wipes out the remaining criteria.

Harnish is eligible. He's never played a snap in the regular season. There is other criteria for it but him having not played a down completely wipes out the remaining criteria.

That's correct.  And I really don't think we have to worry about another team snatching him and putting him on their regular roster.  TBH, I'm not sure we even want him to be our backup after MH leaves.  Unless he's a master in the film room.

25 total on offense.

25 total on defense.

Two words. Caesar Rayford!