Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cousins looked strong in first preseason game

amfootball

The Redskins are so fortunate to have a back up like Cousins with RG rehabbing. I really think they look at dealing him at season's end for a high draft pick. Seems like he is ready to be a starter.

Robert Griffin III’s absence has helped Kirk Cousins. While Griffin has a full season on which to build, Cousins only had 48 passes and a lot of reps with backups. But a full offseason of work with the starters has put him in a better spot. Cousins completed six of seven passes for 52 yards and a touchdown in the preseason opener vs. Tennessee. “I like what I see,” Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said. “He has a good feel for what we’re doing and he has a good command of the offense. He did an excellent job in the game going through his progressions. There are a lot of times when as the second-team quarterback you don’t get the reps like you want. He’ll get those reps so it’s a big plus for his development.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/53915/quick-hit-thoughts-on-the-redskins-nfl

It's the preseason. It's good to see him doing well but nothing is definitive. If for some odd reason Griffin misses time at the start of the season, and Cousins plays very well against teams in his absence, then maybe, but right now I don't see it. Especially when there are quite a few good QBs coming out in next year's Draft.

It's the preseason. It's good to see him doing well but nothing is definitive. If for some odd reason Griffin misses time at the start of the season, and Cousins plays very well against teams in his absence, then maybe, but right now I don't see it. Especially when there are quite a few good QBs coming out in next year's Draft.

Yeah, I agree but Cousins is turning heads right now. I would imagine that is why RG in part wants to get back sooner rather than later.

Come on guys, Cousins has done well when he has played, but please do not insinuate that RG3's job is in jeopardy... he is one of the most talented players in the league, and he is not sitting in favour of Cousins.

I don't know man. I have seen some funny things in all my years watching football - a red hot Fluite being benched for Rob Johnson because the owner was paying him millions; a sixth round pick named Brady replacing a mutiple pro bowler and franchise QB Bledsoe in his prime and just last year an unknown second rounder named Kaepernick replacing Alex Smith after Smith was having a pretty good season and has led his team to the NFC champ the season before.

I think Shanny has always liked Cousins and his comments are highly complimentary not only of his play but his understanding of the offense and his progressions. I think it would be wise for RG to get back sooner rather than later assuming he is healthy of course.

I don't know man. I have seen some funny things in all my years watching football - a red hot Fluite being benched for Rob Johnson because the owner was paying him millions; a sixth round pick named Brady replacing a mutiple pro bowler and franchise QB Bledsoe in his prime and just last year an unknown second rounder named Kaepernick replacing Alex Smith after Smith was having a pretty good season and has led his team to the NFC champ the season before.

I think Shanny has always liked Cousins and his comments are highly complimentary not only of his play but his understanding of the offense and his progressions. I think it would be wise for RG to get back sooner rather than later assuming he is healthy of course.

Yes...but that would be career suicide. RGIII is not only one of the most popular guys among fans, but in the media, and ON HIS OWN team. Shannahan would never keep his job. If you thought the Tebow thing was big just imagine if they pull RGIII. Not only that but RGIII has way way outplayed anything we saw in Cousins. Not only was he rookie of the year but he is already in the top half of the league as far as starting qbs....I even have him ahead of Luck at this point (although I think long-term Luck will stay healthier). Griffen is like Vick...but a much better passer. He is not getting replaced unless he has injuries that keep him off the field. I think they keep Kirk because they need a quality backup in case Griffen goes down again....but if the QB class is weak again your going to see teams like the Jaguars and Raiders come calling for the guy...and Shannahan can turn that pick into an early second IMO...and that would huge for the Redskins to get back some of what they gave up to the Rams. I like Cousins....I seem him being a very capable qb...much like Dalton if he gets into the right situation....but he will never be the long term qb in Washington...RGIII isn't just a popular qb...socially he is just as big...if the Redskins thought they had a discrimination controversy about the team name imagine after the highest profile black qb in the league is benched....won't happen.

Yes...but that would be career suicide. RGIII is not only one of the most popular guys among fans, but in the media, and ON HIS OWN team. Shannahan would never keep his job. If you thought the Tebow thing was big just imagine if they pull RGIII. Not only that but RGIII has way way outplayed anything we saw in Cousins. Not only was he rookie of the year but he is already in the top half of the league as far as starting qbs....I even have him ahead of Luck at this point (although I think long-term Luck will stay healthier). Griffen is like Vick...but a much better passer. He is not getting replaced unless he has injuries that keep him off the field. I think they keep Kirk because they need a quality backup in case Griffen goes down again....but if the QB class is weak again your going to see teams like the Jaguars and Raiders come calling for the guy...and Shannahan can turn that pick into an early second IMO...and that would huge for the Redskins to get back some of what they gave up to the Rams. I like Cousins....I seem him being a very capable qb...much like Dalton if he gets into the right situation....but he will never be the long term qb in Washington...RGIII isn't just a popular qb...socially he is just as big...if the Redskins thought they had a discrimination controversy about the team name imagine after the highest profile black qb in the league is benched....won't happen.

Yep, don't disagree with anything you said or inferred but winning trumps all. Counsins is not the same QB as he was last year. He has had a full off-season with the first team and his progress had been impressive according to Shanny. I agree that it is more likely he gets traded for two rounder ala Matt Schaub when he went to the Texans but IF RG is not able to stay healthy then he will be the QB in DC. I think all signs point to that but right now RG is the class of the rookies that came out last year for sure. I sure hope he does stay healthy as he was so much fun to watch as a fan.

Bledsoe never had RG3's talent, nor did Smith. Lets not suffer from amnesia here. RG3 was ROTY, and is one of the most exciting players ever to enter the league. He is immensely talented and the Redskins built an extremely effective offensive system around him and his skill-set. Had he not went down in the play-offs, Redskins could have been contenders.... he is that good.

Cousins is good, stand tall in the pocket and has a good arm. But he is not on RG3's level. There is absolutely zero chance of Cousins starting ahead of RG3 bar injury.

Bledsoe never had RG3's talent, nor did Smith. Lets not suffer from amnesia here. RG3 was ROTY, and is one of the most exciting players ever to enter the league. He is immensely talented and the Redskins built an extremely effective offensive system around him and his skill-set. Had he not went down in the play-offs, Redskins could have been contenders.... he is that good.

Cousins is good, stand tall in the pocket and has a good arm. But he is not on RG3's level. There is absolutely zero chance of Cousins starting ahead of RG3 bar injury.

I agree on Smith but not Bledsoe. He may not have had RGs athleticism but he could sling it to the tune of the fastest QB to 30,000 yards passing when he hit the scene. Not to mention a SB appearance in his fifth year starting. He was a perennial pro bowler and the face of the Pats franchise - one that had been longing for him since Grogan. And he was replaced by Brady, a no name, no nothing out of Michigan who split the starting duties with Hensen his senior year. Cousins is volumes better than Brady was coming out of college anyways and appears to have Brady's penchant for picking up the offense quickly and making the right reads. So I can totally see it even though I admit the chances are remote IF RG is healthy. If Cousins gets a chance to play a few games like Brady did and he plays well then Shanny will have a full blown QB drama on his hands.

I agree on Smith but not Bledsoe. He may not have had RGs athleticism but he could sling to the tune of the fastest QB to 30,000 yards passing when he hit the scene. Not to mention a SB appearance in his fifth year starting. He was a perennial pro bowler and the face of the Pats franchise - one that had been longing for him since Grogan. And he was replaced by Brady, a no name, no nothing out of Michigan who split the starting duties with Hensen his senior year. Cousins is volumes better than Brady was coming out of college anyways and appears to has Brady's penchant for picking up the offense quickly and making the right reads. So I can totally see it even though I admit the chances are remote IF RG is healthy. If Cousins gets a chance to play a few games like Brady did and he plays well then Shanny will have a full QB drama on his hands.

Bledsoe was a very good QB yes, but he regressed quite a bit, and I stand by my belief that he never had RG3's talent. The big difference is RG3 is coming off an incredible rookie year... why would anyone mess with that?

And the Brady thing... that is the exception, not the rule. The reason it is such a fairy-tale story is because it is unlikely to ever happen again.

Bledsoe was a very good QB yes, but he regressed quite a bit, and I stand by my belief that he never had RG3's talent. The big difference is RG3 is coming off an incredible rookie year... why would anyone mess with that?

And the Brady thing... that is the exception, not the rule. The reason it is such a fairy-tale story is because it is unlikely to ever happen again.

I guess we will have to see if RG reaches some of the achievements of Bledsoe. He regressed because he had to suffer through the Pete Carroll years. Bad luck for him.

I loved what I saw from RG for one season. Unfortuantely he was injured throughout with a concussion or his knee. That really is his proving ground. Can he stay healthy. Like I said, I am rooting for him but also very jealous that the Skins having a Qb like Cousins in the wings. I bet Jets fans are more irate than me though. They don't have one decent QB. ;)

I do think Cousins has a shot at starting for the redskins sometime during the year. RG3 relies a lot on the read-option offense and those hits will eventually start to break him down like Vick. He didnt have to make many reads last year. While RG3 is a better passer than Vick, Cousins is better than both imo. What separates RG3 is his speed, we'll see if that lasts though as he continues to get hit.