Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

someone make a case for Brown

Phil J

Brown is dead to me. Same thing with Gonzalez and Hughes. Wasted roster spots, wasted draft picks

That's a bizarrely extreme comment about Brown, and foolish ones about the other two. Hughes is a work in progress and should only get better. Gonzalez was the second most talented and successful receiver on the team until his injuries. I can only assume that he is still nursing something or he would be out there.

Brown was horrible on that one play last night, however it occurs to me that if you want to work a guy back into the rotation, you have him do what he is best at (running to the outside, catching short passes) not what he is worst at (pass blocking). A more important question is "why was he in there". I had noticed that Carter replaced Addai mid series earlier in the game. Normally the Colts swap the RBs between possessions. Add Brown stepping in for a blocking play (and Addai's horrible whiff on an earlier play) and I'm left wondering if Joseph was banged up as well.

True, there is also Hughes and Ugoh. I still say try and make some calls and see if anyone would trade for a late pick. It's worth a shot before just cutting him.

True, I feel like Brown could work in a system where his only objective is to run when he is called upon. Blocking is not in his repertoire and he can go out for a catch here and then. This offense might be too much for him.

I would argue Ugoh was because we traded a second pick and a first round pick for him. Brown just screwed up one draft pick and frankly we've found other backs to kinda offset Brown. Ugoh hurt us with those two picks plus we had to come back and use our first rounder this year on a tackle because he didn't work out so that's three picks because of one player?

Oh man, TOTALLY forgot about Ugoh. I stand corrected. Donald Brown is Polian's SECOND player mistake made.