Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RG3 to wear knee brace all season

House

He came darn close to sweeping the division. As a rookie. Crazy. I think the Redskins are going to win the division again and the sky is the limit for them. Should be fun watching Griff and Eli duke it out for the next few years.

yeah barring further injury it should be a pretty tense few years ahead. I'm actually very curious about Philly under Chip Kelly and what his offense will look like this season.

No, quarterbacks not only rushed less, but they passed less and they handed the ball off more. If Tarkenton played when Cunningham played they would have similar numbers on the ground. If Cunningham played in the early 2000's like Vick, they would have similar numbers. And if Vick was drafted last year, he would put up numbers similar to RG3. There is no "you are supposed to" or set in stone rolls in the NFL, things evolve. Prople are excited about the read-option because it's new, just like the wildcat a few years ago. Rushing/scrambling as a QB is not, and coaches are beginning to take advantage, through play calling, of how much more athletic NFL QB's are becoming.

Yes i know things evolve and change.  I was saying that running is not what the QB's main job is.  He's the highest paid player and youre having him do things that the position doesnt typically do, and that puts him in harms way.  RG3 ring any bells?  Read option is only new to the NFL, its been around college for years. 

yeah barring further injury it should be a pretty tense few years ahead. I'm actually very curious about Philly under Chip Kelly and what his offense will look like this season.

We'll start seeing an idea of it this year depending on who Kelly chooses to ride on that QB carousel of his. Vastly different guys, but he apparently believes that they can all run the up-tempo offense he has in store. Maclin being out may hurt them this year but next man up and who knows, maybe they can start being competitive sooner rather than later. And the NFC East retains it's drama and splendor for at least a little while, beating up on each other haha

Yes i know things evolve and change.  I was saying that running is not what the QB's main job is.  He's the highest paid player and youre having him do things that the position doesnt typically do, and that puts him in harms way.  RG3 ring any bells?  Read option is only new to the NFL, its been around college for years. 

I take the stance that there is no "typical to do" or "supposed to". There was a time when fullbacks were supposed to run the ball and score touchdowns. You do what will win the most games.

I think he meant by move better the short evade steps which is athleticism combined with awareness. Anything over a foot and RG is better:)

Correct. Smarter is better IMO. A coach cringes every time his QB takes off I don't care who's the QB. I'd bet my bottom dollar that Shanahan tells RG everyday to slide before a hit, throw it away, preserve yourself by all means. We'll get another play, possession, game. A QB can't be reckless in the NFL no matter how tough or fast he might be. Eleven sets of eyes widen every time one takes off...hell every set in the stadium widen. It's just a matter of time for a running/scrambling QB in todays NFL before he's taken out.   

Correct. Smarter is better IMO. A coach cringes every time his QB takes off I don't care who's the QB. I'd bet my bottom dollar that Shanahan tells RG everyday to slide before a hit, throw it away, preserve yourself by all means. We'll get another play, possession, game. A QB can't be reckless in the NFL no matter how tough or fast he might be. Eleven sets of eyes widen every time one takes off...heck every set in the stadium widen. It's just a matter of time for a running/scrambling QB in todays NFL before he's taken out.

Better pocket awareness/presence isn't better mobility.

Correct. Smarter is better IMO. A coach cringes every time his QB takes off I don't care who's the QB. I'd bet my bottom dollar that Shanahan tells RG everyday to slide before a hit, throw it away, preserve yourself by all means. We'll get another play, possession, game. A QB can't be reckless in the NFL no matter how tough or fast he might be. Eleven sets of eyes widen every time one takes off...heck every set in the stadium widen. It's just a matter of time for a running/scrambling QB in todays NFL before he's taken out.   

Better pocket awareness/presence isn't better mobility.

You both make excellent points TAPLOOK & House. Surviving in this league for the next decade means avoiding contact not pursuing it directly. Learn to slide & step out of bounds RG3. House is also correct. Speed & elusiveness are not identical to pocket manipulation. 2 separate field general skills. Nothing profound here. SW1 is merely agreeing with both of your salient points.  :thmup:

Pretty fancy way to say he was running stupid, and taking dumb, and unnecessary, hits lol.

Pretty much, lol...

But a QB is safer on designed runs versus impromptu scrambling...

On designed runs theres a blocking scheme for you, you know where you're going, and you can see the guys who are coming to hit you..

When a QB scrambles the play has broken down, the people blocking for him are usually the last people to know he's scrambling or buying time... and the QB has no clue which direction he'll get him from... and often doesnt even see the guy thats coming to whack him..

Yep, you're right. And that would be a good thing for the Redskins I think. Sure it would take away what got him his name last year but at the same time it should teach him to refine his passing and not to be as reckless as he has come to be known. I'm sure his coaches and teammates will breathe sighs of relief seeing him throw the ball away instead of taking an unnecessary hit from a LB lol.

im glad his speed is not as much as RG3s....

the faster you go, the more your gonna get hurt when you are hit...

im glad his speed is not as much as RG3s....

the faster you go, the more your gonna get hurt when you are hit...

Not if you avoid contact, which we've seen Russell and Kaepernick do. No reason to think Griffin can't do the same. He's the fastest of the QBs and one of the fastest in the league. I don't see it as a negative. He just has to play smarter. Smarts combined with speed can mean good things for the offense and bad things for the defense trying to stop them.

Not if you avoid contact, which we've seen Russell and Kaepernick do. No reason to think Griffin can't do the same. He's the fastest of the QBs and one of the fastest in the league. I don't see it as a negative. He just has to play smarter. Smarts combined with speed can mean good things for the offense and bad things for the defense trying to stop them.

he has yet to show me he is smart enough to avoid contact. I see another injury shortened season for him

he has yet to show me he is smart enough to avoid contact. I see another injury shortened season for him

He was a rookie who knew that his team needed him. Sometimes going for that extra yard to get the first down doesn't mean stupidity or lack of intelligence. It means dedication, though, a lot of the time, yes, you would be able to call it a dumb play. I don't see a shortened season for him at all, nor do I for any of the running QBs. He's going to win his division again this year, just like I knew he would last year. Electric player with all the talent in the world, ready to win some games and prove that he can do it all from the pocket as well.

Pics or didn't happen.

Lol it was no secret that I predicted the Redskins to win the division, did it several times on here last offseason after Griffin was drafted. Go through my post history and you'll find the gold you're looking for. ;)

Lol it was no secret that I predicted the Redskins to win the division, did it several times on here last offseason after Griffin was drafted. Go through my post history and you'll find the gold you're looking for. ;)

Pics or no proof lol.

Law of the Internet haha.

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:24 PM

Griffin is the real deal. I still think the Redskins are surprise picks in the NFC playoffs this year.

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:13 PM
I still think the Redskins go to the playoffs over the Cowboys, today only made me feel better about that mindset lol.

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:20 PM

'stat2883', on 09 Sept 2012 - 4:15 PM, said:snapback.png

Yup, I like most teams and players at least a little bit....but I absolutely can't stand the Cowboys. I don't know if I'm going to say playoffs for the skins just yet...lets see how they do once teams get some film on them.

You and I both my friend. I think the Redskins might surprise a lot this year, unless DeMarcus Ware has something to say about it lol.

There you go. Just a few. I've made plenty more lol.

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:24 PM

Griffin is the real deal. I still think the Redskins are surprise picks in the NFC playoffs this year.

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:13 PM

I still think the Redskins go to the playoffs over the Cowboys, today only made me feel better about that mindset lol.

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:20 PM

'stat2883', on 09 Sept 2012 - 4:15 PM, said:snapback.png

You and I both my friend. I think the Redskins might surprise a lot this year, unless DeMarcus Ware has something to say about it lol.

There you go. Just a few. I've made plenty more lol.

Pssh that's just praise. I didn't see a guarantee they would win the division lol.

Pssh that's just praise. I didn't see a guarantee they would win the division lol.

There were others and I'll just have to do more digging I suppose. A lot of my comments got deleted because it was a Griffin bash fest back then, every topic about him had to have mod edits due to personal squabbles lol. But alas, I will find at least one guarantee eventually. I was only looking through the General but I'm sure I have some posts in the prediction threads even in the Colts section lol. It's not a big secret that I've been a Griffin fan since some time after he was drafted and I'm sure the ones I got into arguments with remember how I said he would win his division while 12 wouldn't. They hated me for it lol.

There were others and I'll just have to do more digging I suppose. A lot of my comments got deleted because it was a Griffin bash fest back then, every topic about him had to have mod edits due to personal squabbles lol. But alas, I will find at least one guarantee eventually. I was only looking through the General but I'm sure I have some posts in the prediction threads even in the Colts section lol. It's not a big secret that I've been a Griffin fan since some time after he was drafted and I'm sure the ones I got into arguments with remember how I said he would win his division while 12 wouldn't. They hated me for it lol.

I'm just messing with you lol.

I'm just messing with you lol.

Yeah I know, I still find it fun to read through some of the predictions made back in the day. A lot of people were surprisingly right about certain things while others were just plain wrong lol.