Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wanna read a great MMQB?

Superman

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130707/austen-lane-monday-morning-quarterback/?sct=hp_t13_a3&eref=sihp#all

Only reason I know who Austen Lane is is because he's been in the AFC South the past three years. So it caught my eye that he was the guest columnist for this weeks MMQB, while Peter King is on vacation. His column is relevant, it's poignant, and I found it impressive. Have a look for yourself.

As players, we are always taught to focus on the task at hand, and to do our job. A job which only lasts 2 1/2 years on average. So where is the line? How do we focus on football while providing for a solid and stable future? While there is no surefire formula, I believe the following is a guide to developing not only a successful career but, more importantly, a successful life.

Thank you Superman. (I LOL'd when I typed that.) I gave up reading Peter King long ago so I would have missed this. I hope every NFL player reads Austen Lane's column. The kid sounds like he has his head on straight. (Unlike a former Patriot tight end.) Impressive indeed.

I think the media needs to pay more attention to the good things happening in sports. I understand we live in a world that loves drama and feeds off of confrontation, but for every athlete that messes up there are 20 out there doing something inspirational, and their stories deserve to be heard as well.

Best reason to hire Austen Lane: "Watched half of the Dead Poets Society before falling asleep." LOL! A great Robbin Williams film. Suddenly, SW1 feels like stepping onto his desk for a fresh, new perspective. Ah, that's much better...

Carpe Diem "Seize The Day!"  :rock: That & ripping pages out of an English Literature textbook. [insider Movie Joke.]...Only teasing!

936full-dead-poets-society-screenshot.jp

Best reason to hire Austen Lane: "Watched half of the Dead Poets Society before falling asleep." LOL! A great Robbin Williams film. Suddenly, SW1 feels like stepping onto his desk for a fresh, new perspective. Ah, that's much better...

Carpe Diem "Seize The Day!"  :rock: That & ripping pages out of an English Literature textbook. [insider Movie Joke.]...Only teasing!

936full-dead-poets-society-screenshot.jp

Yeah, DPS has been one of my favorite movies for a long time.  He ought to finish that movie.

They did.  It's called Goodwill Hunting.  I know it's not but he certainly plays a similar role, albeit somewhat heavier.

I meant Austen Lane ought to finish watching it. DPS stands on its own, no need for a follow up piece. Same with Goodwill Hunting.

My favorite part:

Realize that you can only control what you can control: The media will always be the first ones to put you on a pedestal when you do something right and the first ones to tear you down after a mistake. Take the good with the bad, never get too high or too low. You can't control what other people say about you, but you can control how you react to it.

So true and applies to us all (minus the media part of course).  Good article and he sounds like a very down to earth, got it together young man.