Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mission Accomplished?

BronxColtNYC

So, prior to the opening of free agency, I had identified in my mind the following key areas that the Colts needed to fix prior to the 2013 season in rough order of importance:

====== Right Offensive Tackle 2x Offensive Guard Outside Linebacker opposite Mathis Safety to pair with Bethea CB to pair with Davis Defensive End to pair with Redding Wide Receiver 2 Backup safety depth Backup Tight End depth ========

All I can feel now is…..cautious optimism

Offensive Line: how can a unit that was historically bad in 2012 turn into a unit that has, on paper, a very good starting 5 and better depth than the Colts have had in years. We have the possibility of 4 new starters in Cherilus, Thomas, Thornton and Shipley if he can win the job. I love the depth of the unit with proven guys like Reitz and Link along with unproven youngsters in Ijalana, Anderson and Holmes. Man, these guys will make the run game look so much better and give Luck the time he needs to TEAR UP this league.

Offensive Backfield: We have the potential to be one of the best offenses in the league if our youngsters continue to develop. Adding DHB makes a WR corps that looks to be 3 deep with quality and hopfully Brazill can show that he deserves to be there. The Tight Ends are strengthened by the Cunningham pick and will hopefully be featured much more in Pep’s offense and our running backs will start looking like superstars if the O-line developes and jells like it should. This could easily be a top five offense during the season and be very, very balanced.

Defensive Line: When Grigs and Pags want to fix something, they really put a lot of effort into it. Our NT squad is four deep with guys that I like in Franklin, Chapman, McKinney and Trevesau; not all of them will make the team. The DE position is greatly strengthened with the RJF pickup and now with adding Hughes to Moala and Nevis as the backups makes a potentially deep group that and rotate and keep fresh. I don’t know that our D-Line is elite yet but I think it will be so vastly improved over last year that it is not even funny.

LineBackers: Our ILB rotation is unchanged from last year in the top three players and that is fine; they were solid to good last year and will look much better behind an improved D-Line. Our OLB corps has been added to with guys that are both Edge Defenders (Walden, Werner) and potential pass rushers (Werner, Sidbury, McNary). If I had to pick, I still pick this position group (OLB) as the weakest on the team because of the unknowns. While Mathis looked……okay….last year at OLB, he did not blow my socks off. Add Sheppard from buffalo who was 3rd on team in tackles. I can hope that adding Walden and Werner will add a lot of Edge Defense and someone of Werner and Sidbury will really help bring the rush as a 5th rushers. Time will tell and people may jell but this I the position group I worry the most about post-draft going into camp.

Safeties: Adding Landry was great and we have two really solid guys in Bethea and Landry. I like adding Boyett behind them and if he recovers to his 2011 form, he will be a very, very good backup to them. This group should be solid going into the season.

Cornerback: Bringing back three of your best four CB for 2012 and adding Toler makes this group solid from top to bottom. They may not scare opposing QBs but they will also not allow the cheap completions. I really like that Butler and Vaughn are our nickel and dime CBs because I like them both a lot as depth but not so much as CB2.

I really had no thoughts that Grigson would be able to fill all eight positions that I felt we needed new starters at (OGx2, ROT, WR2, DE, OLB, S, CB2) but he did it and added some nice depth (hello Hasslebeck) and a lot of positions which is the hallmark of championship teams.

I don’t think the Colts will be elite this year but if even ½ of these moves pan out, the stage is set for greatness over the next 3-5 years.

Now it's a wait and see.

Every signing won't work out, nor will every draft pick (obviously). Despite that, if we had eight spots that needed to be addressed, based on your summation, we definitely made a dent. Even if only half of our acquisitions play anywhere near expectations, we'll have a much more balanced team than we did last year.

But there's no such thing as Mission Accomplished. There's only the next mission. So if we did address every problem sufficiently, now it's time to win games and get a ring. And then it's time to do it again.

I don't think the mission will ever be accomplished the way Grigson is so active with Trades & Pick Ups. But you could definitely say we've improved from last year. Anyone who doesn't think that is overlooking or just not looking at all

So, prior to the opening of free agency, I had identified in my mind the following key areas that the Colts needed to fix prior to the 2013 season in rough order of importance: Right Offensive Tackle, 2x Offensive Guard, Outside Linebacker, Safety, CB, Defensive End, Wide Receiver, Backup safety depth, Backup Tight End depth

I like it. Not neccesarily in that order but looks good.

All I can feel now is…..cautious optimism

I am full of reckless optimism! ;)

Offensive Line: how can a unit that was historically bad in 2012 turn into a unit that has, on paper, a very good starting 5 and better depth than the Colts have had in years.

Grigson.

We have the possibility of 4 new starters in Cherilus, Thomas, Thornton and Shipley if he can win the job.

Considering almost everyone is new, I'd see no reason to hold Holmes back...I am assuming he beats out Shipley and Satele.

these guys will make the run game look so much better and give Luck the time he needs to TEAR UP this league.

I am thinking the same.

Adding DHB makes a WR corps that looks to be 3 deep with quality and hopfully Brazill can show that he deserves to be there. The Tight Ends are strengthened by the Cunningham pick and will hopefully be featured much more in Pep’s offense and our running backs will start looking like superstars if the O-line developes and jells like it should. This could easily be a top five offense during the season and be very, very balanced.

I am iffy on the RBs. I like the thought of a Ballard/Carter 1 2 punch. I have moved on from Brown but I guess we'll see. I have no opinion on the rookie because I do not know ANYTHING about him. 

Our NT squad is four deep with guys that I like in Franklin, Chapman, McKinney and Trevesau; not all of them will make the team. The DE position is greatly strengthened with the RJF pickup and now with adding Hughes to Moala and Nevis as the backups makes a potentially deep group that and rotate and keep fresh.

I cannot type how happy I am with these rounds in the magazine. I am of the opinion that this is the best Dline in the History of the 'Indianapolis' Colts.

LineBackers: Our ILB rotation is unchanged from last year in the top three players and that is fine

I won't be surprised if Shepherd pokes a hole in that.

Our OLB corps has been added to with guys that are both Edge Defenders (Walden, Werner) and potential pass rushers (Werner, Sidbury, McNary). If I had to pick, I still pick this position group (OLB) as the weakest on the team because of the unknowns.

You left out Killeen. And I disagree. Now that these guys have a legitimate 3/4 line in front of them, I expect them to flourish.

Adding Landry was great and we have two really solid guys in Bethea and Landry. I like adding Boyett behind them and if he recovers to his 2011 form, he will be a very, very good backup to them. This group should be solid going into the season.

Agreed.

Bringing back three of your best four CB for 2012 and adding Toler makes this group solid from top to bottom. They may not scare opposing QBs but they will also not allow the cheap completions. I really like that Butler and Vaughn are our nickel and dime CBs...

Yeah. We're solid now. And with the Dline and LB corps in front of them, I expect the trickle down...these guys should do well.

I don’t think the Colts will be elite this year

I do. We did wonders with a crap squad last year. Most guys out of their depth vis-a-vis positions. All we had was a very talented rookie QB, decent WR corps, decent RB corps, decent if not oft injured run blocking. And a completely patchwork defense. That is not the case now. We should by week 4 be ready to grab the season by the throat. I have very high expectations.

Now it's a wait and see.

Amen.

Sheppard is an inside linebacker? Do you see something in particular about him that makes you think he should compete at Sam backer?

His run stopping ability. He is not as strong in coverage. He "could work". This from sbnation.

Run defense: Sheppard does a good job keeping low and using his hands to lock out potential blockers. However, he is often caught hand fighting rather than disengaging. While in pursuit, he struggles to remain clean through traffic often getting sealed from the play. Sheppard's best attribute is his ability to step up towards the line and hold strong at the point of attack.

Strength: The fact that Sheppard possesses a strong anchor allows him to hold at the point of attack. He rarely gets pushed back off the ball and is able to hold his ground. However, he lacks heavy hands and struggles to disengage from blocks.

Tackling: Sheppard is a strong tackler that is always under control when heading towards the football. He keeps his head up while breaking down and wrapping up the ball carrier. He does a nice job exploding through his hips and delivering a good pop.

Coverage: When dropping into coverage, Sheppard keeps his pad level low and his eyes in the backfield reading the quarterback. However, his good initial technique is washed over because of his tight hips and limited quickness. In zone coverage, he lacks the necessary feel for the routes developing often ending up out of position. Sheppard's tight hips make him a liability in man coverage as he struggles to turn and run with backs and tight ends.