Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mel Kiper

SOMDColtsfan

no way they pay him seven figures. And general managers make big dollars

Lots and lots of the biggest names at ESPN makes 7 figures.    He's on the air practically year round.    And he's been with them for roughly 30 years.

I don't think it's a stretch to think Kiper might make $1,000,000 a year.   I wouldn't be surprised if he made double that.

When Harold Reynolds got fired from ESPN a few years back over some sexual harassment charge,  it was reported he made $1M a year.     I think if Reynolds makes $1M,  I think it's quite likely Kiper makes that much, if not much more.

Kiper is ESPN "royalty" ...     he is just a notch below CBerman and BLey.    He has been there THAT LONG.    And has made a huge imprint in our sports viewing world.       When you think NFL DRAFT....      I guarantee you all thing MEL KIPER JR.

Kiper an the NFL draft are synonymous with each other.    I guarantee  you Kiper is getting paid.

what I watched last night on the NFL channel, which I was referring to,  they were on camera at different locations listening to each other. Kiper was watching the feed from the ESPN desk and was watching Tobin speak right after the pick was made for Trev Alberts and then Kiper lambasted the Colts..the link posted above here was either the next day or so after the original "feud" started.

Draft day coverage, Boomer, Mortenson, and especially Kiper flabbergasted...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvXm0HTWeyY

We traded up for that!  LOL   Mel's part begins about 2:05

Thanks for the link post! The way the NFL network had it edited together on " Top 10 Draft Moments" last night it appeared they went to Bill Tobin right after Kiper spouted off at the mouth. When Tobin replied back "who in the he!! is Mel Kiper?" the camera went back to Kiper sitting at the same desk like he swallowed the canary. Anyways..thanks ColtsBlueFL!

what I watched last night on the NFL channel, which I was referring to, they were on camera at different locations listening to each other. Kiper was watching the feed from the ESPN desk and was watching Tobin speak right after the pick was made for Trev Alberts and then Kiper lambasted the Colts..the link posted above here was either the next day or so after the original "feud" started.

the fued started because of what you saw above. that was the reaction directly after the pick. tobin went off after reporters asked him what he thought of kipers analysis

GM's make a heck of a lot more than he does

GMs also get fired a lot more quickly than TV folks. also Mel is a draft guru you need to know more than the draft to be a good GM. Notice you only see Mel talking draft stuff he doesn't get into salary cap stuff or free agents who aren't rookies or talk about hiring coaches. With that said i think had Mel wanted to go work for a team and run their drafts he probably could have but I think he wanted to do TV. Not everyone wants to work in pro-sports front offices.

I couldn't find what Kiper makes yearly but his net worth is 7 million.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/mel-kiper-net-worth/

Maybe not as much as a great GM but he's not hurting for money either. That and he's had a 30 year career while the average NFL GMs career is no where near that long with one team. He also doesn't have to deal with the stress of being fired at any point in time. He also has a much lighter work load than a NFL GM. Again Kiper does one thing really well grade college talent. He doesn't do all the other things a NFL GM has to do. So I don't know if comparing him to NFL GMs in the first place is fair. He would be closer to a head of college scouting guy in a NFL front office. Those guys make an average of 275,000 a year.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Are-NFL-scouting-departments-underfunded.html

Kiper's 7 million net worth over 30 years averages out to 233,333 a year. So same ball park with much less stress.

Kiper was offered a front office position with Accorsi with the Baltimore Colts in 82 but they left for Indy leaving Kiper behind. He had his own business (Kiper Enterprises) since 81 that he runs that does his draft publications, along with working for ESPN