Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Time To Step It Up Drake Nevis

Andy

I don't like seeing him become a Jamarcus. If he could learn LB, lets put him there.

The problem is, you just can't teach someone it just like that. He's gonna have to play the rest of the year at DE, and on the side start slowly learning LB. Over the offseason, he learns it completely and starts the 12-13 season as a backup LB. I do think he would be pretty good in a 3-4, but we play a 4-3 and we don't plan on changing...

... Since this thread is about Drake Nevis. Do you guys think that Drake Nevis will end the season as a starter, whether he beat out the other guys, or the starters get injured.

The problem is, you just can't teach someone it just like that. He's gonna have to play the rest of the year at DE, and on the side start slowly learning LB. Over the offseason, he learns it completely and starts the 12-13 season as a backup LB. I do think he would be pretty good in a 3-4, but we play a 4-3 and we don't plan on changing...

... Since this thread is about Drake Nevis. Do you guys think that Drake Nevis will end the season as a starter, whether he beat out the other guys, or the starters get injured.

Exactly (regarding Hughes). Even if he could convert to LB then it would be the type of LB that we don't use/need. If he gets released then a 3-4 team may pick him up and try making the switch with him but I don't see any way we try it.

As for Nevis, if he can be equally effective against the run and pass then yeah, I could definitely see him moving ahead of Moala as the starter. I haven't made my mind up about Moala yet, but so far through the preseason and first 2 games they've tried to get Moala in on running downs and Nevis in passing. I'm not sure if this is because Nevis isn't as good against the run or if Moala isn't as good against the pass but if either (or preferably both) prove they can do both then that would be extremely helpful and I honestly couldn't speculate who the starter would be.

I don't like seeing him become a Jamarcus. If he could learn LB, lets put him there.

He's not. Russell was a bust because he didn't work hard and just wanted to cash a paycheck. Hughes is playing behind two pro-bowl DEs who have missed very little time, when they have missed time (Houston game last year, Browns game this year) he came into the game and played solid. Houston game he played great, Cleveland game he didn't do anything great but didn't make any mistakes either.

He's not. Russell was a bust because he didn't work hard and just wanted to cash a paycheck. Hughes is playing behind two pro-bowl DEs who have missed very little time, when they have missed time (Houston game last year, Browns game this year) he came into the game and played solid. Houston game he played great, Cleveland game he didn't do anything great but didn't make any mistakes either.

To add to that, it's also hurt Hughes that Anderson and Brayton have been playing on running downs. Even Freeney and Mathis aren't seeing the field as much. This new rotation should also help to keep Freeney and Mathis more fresh thoughout the game and as the season progresses so that should decrease the likelihood of injury. Freeney or Mathis would have to get hurt for Hughes to see any significant playing time. I assume, aside from the fact that he's not the bust so many people think he is, that they're also keeping him around just in case Mathis winds up demanding too much money when they go to re-sign him.

He did have a good game today but i noticed he was slow of the snap on some plays. I'm not sure if it was by design or if he was just winded at times. Overall a very good game though and he should be a starter!!

I saw a couple of plays where Nevis and Johnson were side by side and they simply stood up at the snap of the ball instead of giving any kind of rush. Because of this I'd say it was play design but not exactly sure what the coaches were hoping to accomplish. i would assume they were trying to block the passing lanes and put one of the guys in position to bat down a pass but Ben is so tall there's not much of a chance Nevis can knock down a pass and the odds for Johnson are only slightly higher. There was still a lot of questionable defensive play calling this week.

Nevis and Johnson are the best Colts DT combo they have had in years. Moala and Foster should be the spell guys.

Agreed. Our DT situation overall is the best we've had in the Manning years...yes even compared to when we had Booger and Simon because those 2 A) rarely played together and B) had no depth behind them other than more guys who were Foster's size.